shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Does my sapphire have windows?

opulentopossum

Rough_Rock
Hello! I know next to nothing about gemstones and I’m hoping to find some guidance on whether or not these are windows and if I should have the stone replaced. It troubles me that I can see through the stone at different points and it isn’t reflecting light in those spots. From what I’ve read online these are windows but I’m not experienced in identifying them and I was hoping to get an opinion on this specific stone. This is my engagement ring so I really want it to be perfect, and I kind of hoped/expected that it would be blue all over. If these are indeed windows and you know of a trusted place where I can order a loose sapphire, please recommend! Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! 07603A27-011D-4F57-B2FF-4AC291E5C0DC.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
windows are certainly one of the things i wish i had known about sooner so i can empathize with how you are feeling and it certainky looks like a window to me

i beleave you can get a jewler to put some silver foil under the stone to help close the window
i have a blue diamond and topaz ring with a window that kills me but otherwise i love that ring so much im thinking about having this done

mean time, just to see if it would work tear a tiny bit of cooking foil and place it under your ring and see if that improves things, im not sure what it will do to the sparkle?

some people do like windows, i am not one of them :(2
yours is a very pretty ring

someone will be along shortly to help you choose a replacement stone

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, that's a window:(

Are you looking to replace the whole ring or just the stone?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you please post a hand shot so i can see what it looks like on please

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. The first pic with the ring at an angle shows a "tilt window" which is common and not considered a problem by most people because you usually are viewing your ring straight on. But the second pic shows a regular window which would probably bother most of us.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring! And congratulations on your engagement! If you’re able to swap out the stone, I would. Flaws like that tend to get on our nerves more with time.

Wishing you two much happiness!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A window is simply seeing through your gem to your skin underneath. To assess this factor you look down, straight on, to the gem as in your photo 2.
A “tilt window” as per photo 1 is apparent in nearly all gems and doesn’t “count” as such.
Many coloured gems aren’t precision cut ie cut to prevent a window from occurring as coloured gems are more about colour and size rather than light return.
A small window like yours isn’t the “end of the world” by any means but a lot of people don’t like them. If you are already unhappy with this aspect of your sapphire, you probably should consider a replacement gem as these “niggles” tend to grow and grow over time.
My Aquamarine has a HUGE window which I don’t mind at all. CC216DDF-2F00-45BE-869E-F757BD3BA09F.jpeg

opulentopossum

Rough_Rock
Very pretty ring! And congratulations on your engagement! If you’re able to swap out the stone, I would. Flaws like that tend to get on our nerves more with time.

Wishing you two much happiness!

Thank you! :DI'm definitely gonna swap it out. It bothered me right away so I can't imagine it's gonna get better over time lol

opulentopossum

Rough_Rock
A window is simply seeing through your gem to your skin underneath. To assess this factor you look down, straight on, to the gem as in your photo 2.
A “tilt window” as per photo 1 is apparent in nearly all gems and doesn’t “count” as such.
Many coloured gems aren’t precision cut ie cut to prevent a window from occurring as coloured gems are more about colour and size rather than light return.
A small window like yours isn’t the “end of the world” by any means but a lot of people don’t like them. If you are already unhappy with this aspect of your sapphire, you probably should consider a replacement gem as these “niggles” tend to grow and grow over time.
My Aquamarine has a HUGE window which I don’t mind at all. CC216DDF-2F00-45BE-869E-F757BD3BA09F.jpeg

Wow that's an impressive stone! The window definitely works on your ring but for mine I feel like the fact that I can see just a little bit of skin tone is bothersome. Thank you for the info!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is your stone now, and what is your budget?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is 1.24 ct and $600, but we'd be willing to spend up to about $1,000

Do you know the exact dimensions? That's important because in order to fit in your current setting a stone needs to be the same size (or close to it).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results