shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!! Diamond Cutters International 3 stone ring..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

herc130

Rough_Rock
Hi! - I am currently searching for a 3 stone emerald cut engagement ring. I have hit the wall doing research and wanted to get the experts opinion before I finalize the deal. I am in the military and have been deployed for a couple of months and am going to try and make this thing happen by next tuesday.
Here are the center diamond specs-
From the megascope-
GIA cert, 1.01 ct, H1, VS1, Proportion Ideal, Fluor- none, 5.36 x 6.55 x 3.30, l/w 1.22-
crown ang - 34.1, crown height 13.2, pavil ang 43.5, pavil depth 47.1, table size 66, total depth 61.36

Questions-
1-The vendor for this ring is Diamond Cutters International. I have seen 2 reports on this forum that spoke unfavorably about them. I read Fred's book and called the diamond hotline after I did my internet research with some additional questions. It was my understanding that they traditionally don't sell to individuals however do occasionally for certain cases. Is Diamond Cutters International and reputable and respectable company?

2- The price for the center stone was quoted at $6703 and the total ring with 35 points on each side of the center with a platinum mount was $8660. Are these fair prices? I found it to be $1000 to $1500 more expensive for the center stone but the total ring to be in the ball park for what I was looking for.

3- Bonded diamonds- couldn't find any more on this than the DCI website itself. Is it worth it? Sounds appealing due to future upgrades trade in (6.25% increase in value each year) and the warranty offered.

4- Due to my limited knowledge I want a GIA cert. However- how important is the mega scope or like report. I haven't had much luck in finding local jewlers that can supply this. They basically are limited to the info on the GIA cert. Is seeing the symmetry as good or very good enough or do you need to see the numbers on the megascope report? Who does the megascope report?

Thanks for your time in advance for any reply.

student

Shiny_Rock
Do searches on Fred Cuellar here, on Diamondtalk.com, and on Google. On Google you will turn up newspaper articles about his criminal convictions. Instead of bonding, I would get an independent appraiser to look at my diamond to make sure it is OK, and then get it insured. Bonding would only make sense if you were confident the company will be in business for the rest of your life. I wouldn't be so sure about a place run by a guy has been convicted of fraud. Some other sites I've come across with upgrade policies are goodoldgold.com and whiteflash.com. I'm a consumer, not an expert or a retailer, and am just passing along the information I've turned up in my own diamond search. If you do some research on Cuellar and then look at his book again, you will see how artfully he has crafted it to steer people toward his own business. I wish I had known about this before I bought it.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
"They don't usually..." nothing. they always want to scam people into buying a diamond from them. They flat out told me that "We Don't Sell Diamonds." And they proceeded to try to have me call the Diamond Helpline. What a crock of ****.

I wouldn't give that guy another look. He is not worth your time. there are many more respectable vendors who do not try to scare you with threats of "Warped Diamonds."

Ignore him. or play around with him, just don't buy anything from him. He is supposed to be offering "independant" advice. right.

herc130

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. I wish I had started research here instead of at the book store. Better late than never I guess...:loopy:

herc130

Rough_Rock
I put the stop order on the ring after much pressure to continue. The diamond they wanted to sell me was 1.2. The book says optimum is 1.3 to 1.7..they said that was too narrow for a three diamond ring. I said I wanted a higher ratio because I like it better (1.5) and they said it was going to look funny.

Future first timers beware of DCI. I am glad I found this site...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results