shape
carat
color
clarity

Help-Designing a ring for Mom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd like to have a mother's ring made for my mother. We'd like the center stone to be a green tourmaline, and we'd like accent or "children" stones in our birthstones. Mom has decided to feature the BSs of our SOs in the rings.

We have:
2 Aprils-diamonds
1 July-ruby
1 January-garnet
1 March-aquamarine
1-TBD stone-placeholder for my brother's future SO (he's 16 now!)

Mom hates the mother's rings we've seen on the market and wants something a little more classic. She is drawn to round or step cut stones and we're thinking about having the center tourmaline as a solitaire with the children stones in a channel setting.

What are your thoughts about the overall colors and design idea, and what do you suggest we do about the placeholder stone? Should we go with red garnet or a different color?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

**edited to add** She prefers yellow gold.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not much good at this sort of thing but it is a lovely idea though and I am sure you will get lots of inspiration!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know what a Mother''s ring is (sorry!) so I may be way off with this suggestion ...........

I''m a great fan of symmetry so having different colours as side stones wouldn''t scream out to me. However, have you seen the many threads with bezel set stackers that people have bought from Etsy sellers? Your Mum could do this with all the different gemstones and they would then stack and the lack of symmetry (if that''s an issue) wouldn''t be apparent. It would also mean you could add to it in the future. Here''s a thread so you can see what I mean.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-stacking-rings-gold-and-or-sterling-silver.99814/

Hope that helps.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I thought of stackers, but she''s not into them. A mother''s ring is a ring that celebrates children. They''re set with the birthstones of one''s children. I agree that the different colors would look weird to me, but at least we don''t have yellow in the mix! I was thinking, since we have 2 colorless stones and 2 red stones (garnet and ruby), we should have the placeholder to be an aqua to keep things symmetrical (have one of each color flanking the center).

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
What about a solitaire with an interesting profile like this? She could look at the profile and see all of your birthstones and keep the center green tourmaline as the focus.

And garnets come in many colors, so have fun with that one! Here are some of the common garnet colors.

Bright orange-spessartite garnet

greenish yellow(very bright stones)-Mali garnet

Orangey pink--Malaya garnet.

various shades of green--tsavorite and demantoid garnet

Purplish red (can be very vivid purple)--Rhodolite garnet

Color change garnet.

You have many to choose from.
1.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
forgot to attach the pic...

Something like this, but as a solitaire.

91452.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Having something like the following would be doable without looking over the top:

- green in the center, one of the channels having aqua (closest to the center), diamond and ruby
- and the other channel having paraiba tourmaline (closest to the center), diamond and garnet.

That way everything would look balanced. Paraiba and aqua can be similar in color (especially in small sizes), just like rubies and garnets - that''s why I''d set them on opposite sides. However, paraiba, just like a ruby is usually a stone of lower degree of clarity (sometimes almost translucent), so that''s why one of them would be in the left channel and the other in the right one. Same goes for garnets and aquas, which are mostly very clear and sparkly, so that''s why they wouldn''t be on the same side either. You''d have a sparkly blue stone and a sleepy red one on one side, and a sleepy blue stone and a sparkly red one on the other side. Makes sense, right?

BTW, I''d go with step cuts if possible, to avoid some stones being much more noticable than others. Brilliant cuts (rounds, princesses etc.) can make some stones sparkle a lot more than others, even in small sizes (garnets and aquas, as opposed to rubies), so if all the stones would be of such cuts, some of them would stand out more than others and ruin the balance.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results