shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding

sdouglass

Rough_Rock
I'm about to buy a ring and have narrowed it down to two possibilities. One is a virtual diamond from WF, the other is from a b&m that I found when I called to ask about finding a local appraiser (for the WF diamond-go figure). I'm on an ipad, so sorry for the lack of pics.

Diamond 1: (WF)
1.28 H vs1
7.01-7.04mm
Table - 55.7, depth - 61.4
Crown - 35°, pav - 40.8°
HCA - 1.5 ex-ex-ex-vg
Triple Ex, AGS 0 on sarin, Gia cert
Concerned about some light leakage on crown in IS, but told ASET image shows different.

Diamond 2: (b&m)
1.278 G SI1
7.03-7.05mm
Ta-59, depth -59.9
Crown - 34.5, pav - 40.6
HCA - 1.1 ex-ex-ex-ex (never seen this!)
AGS Cert - light 0, polish 1, sym 0, cut grade 1 (due to polish?) AGS 0 on Sarin
Fewer inclusions on map than diamond 1 (map only says surface graining and twining wisps not shown)
Very high-end reputable store
$1,000 less than diamond 1
Have not seen IS, but ASET looks fantastic.

Down side is I am out of town for one more week. Worst case, i buy the WF and put the b&m on hold, then take it in to compare and keep the best one (although would rather not).
Thanks for the help!

sdouglass

Rough_Rock
Talked to the b&m manager, the price is now $2,000 less than diamond 1 and he assures me that the twining wisps cannot be seen with the naked eye. I also made a mistake, the table on diamond 2 is 57.8, giving it an HCA of .6! I feel like I may have made my decision already!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Numbers on both are fine - those photos you say you've got would tell us more.

In any case sounds like you've decided - there are definite advantages to buying locally, like being able to see the stone in-person for free before you buy! AGS1 due to polish, yes - ags overall cut grade is only as high as the lowest of light return/pol/sym.

You don't need to take the manager's word for whether or not the stone is clean - just go look at it in a variety of lighting types - in direct sunlight by a window, in the diffuse office lights, under the spotlights in the counter, in the dimness under a desk. Sometimes inclusions are more visible in some types of lighting than others, but if your eyes find it clean to your requirements in a variety of lights..

HCA limit for ex spread is depth 60.2, 60.3 I believe. What is the girdle reported on #2?

sdouglass

Rough_Rock
Thin to medium, faceted.

sdouglass

Rough_Rock
I have diamond #2 reserved now as well. Here is the PDF of the cert. I'm now concerned about the number of twining wisps that I did not see on the lower resolution cert I was first sent. Although it is "eye clean", I won't find out if it eye clean to me until next week. Id love to hear some expert opinions.

Diamond 2:
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/1040410830009-PLDQR.PDF

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
A lower HCA does not mean the diamond is better than another one that scores higher on the HCA. The HCA is a rejection tool and stones that score below 2 are worth futher investigation (IS, ASET, independent appraisal, etc). Your eyes will do most of the examining on the B&M stone. Whiteflash will be your eyes unless you choose to have it sent to an appraiser to view it. I purchased a BGD H&A 1 ct G SI2. It's clarity grade maker is a small clear crystal, but the other inclusions are twinning wisps. IMO it is the best inclusion to have in a SI stone. You can't see them with the naked eye and at least in my stone they do not compromise the structural integrity of the stone. Sounds like you have two great stones to choose from.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Report gives you no idea of real-world naked eye visibility of inclusions, or whether they cause structural issues (in a reputably graded SI w/o overly thin girdle or significant inclusions near the girdle wouldn't expect issues) - it's just a map telling you where they are and what they are. You'll want to inspect it in-person to see if it meets your clarity requirements whatever they are (clean from 6"? from 12? from the sides?). Inspect the stone in various types of lights and compare w/ a higher clarity stone of similar size, and confirm that the inclusions don't affect brilliance.

It's a year old and a popular colour/clarity/size combo - is it a trade-in? if so I would want to plan for an independent appraisal within the return period to get independent confirmation that the report indicates the current condition of the stone - hasn't been chipped/scratched from botched setting jobs or careless wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results