shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding which solitaire setting please

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I bought a diamond yesterday. It's .67 carats. I just need to decide which setting to go with. I tossed up going a Brin Gavin tapered Tiffany but I don't think we can afford it, we are about to move plus hoping for baby number two plus general life and we don't have loads of disposable cash. I am getting a rose gold band with a white gold head. I tried on the Tiffany setting at the start of my search and quite liked it with a .7 stone. When trying in other jewellers I liked a bit of a cathedral. I saw this one http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Solitaire/The-Perfect-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-Setting/1870 however I feel 2.5 mm is just too wide, however adiamor said they can switch it around so it's 2mm at the top and 2.5 at the bottom. This sounds ok to me if the rest of the balance won't be affected. My other option is this one:
http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Solitaire/Dainty-Solitaire-Engagement-Setting/1782

My thoughts

-will the height of the adiamor Tiffany style one be then at the bottom? I like the height so I've asked the question. However perhaps this is achieved through finishing?
-will 6 prongs, if not done well, overwhelm my little stone?
-by the same token, is the 1.7mm band simply a better option than 2mm for a small stone?
-is 1.7mm too thin for everyday wear?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perhaps Leslie at BGD can work within your budget or try Chris at BE.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I'm feeling very silly, I should have gotten BGD to order the stone for me and then I wouldn't have their setting fee and perhaps they'd work with me a bit more.

Only the tapered one from JA is really appealing to me, but it's still not quite right. Thank you for the suggestions. I've also contacted brilliantly engaged.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Whats the diamond stats did you get a good one

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PintoBean linked a page for Stuller, which are quite reasonable & there are some pretty styles to choose from. Make sure you click on all the pictures. This stuller setting, Series: 122004, has been purchased a few times from PS members & although not a Tiffany setting, is simply elegant. I recently asked BGD for a quote in platinum which is $625. Many vendors can purchase from Stuller & always advisable to have your stone mounted by the bench where you bought your stone.

The ring picture is a PS'r. Sorry, I don't recall her name.

STULLER-2_zpssnahjqdn.jpg

Congratulations. :))

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Hi CCUheart nurse, Yes I did have a look and I found a shank I like, I've asked BGD what they would suggest for a head. Only the shank base is 1mm so it concerns me structurally admittedly. Unfortunately the ridges on that one you posted a pic of put me off a bit, I've seen it many times in my lurking though! I just know it would bother me :(

Thank you :)

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Sphene|1448797568|3955222 said:
Whats the diamond stats did you get a good one
I hope so. I bought it without pricescope feedback but I used a narrow set of parameters to locate it, it has a good hca and excellent cut polish and symmetry. I don't mind warm colours and I've confirmed it is eye clean. I have sent the report to BGD as well though and asked if they could do better.
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2186829562

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
This one is pretty...

_933.jpeg

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
ccuheartnurse|1448817866|3955296 said:
PintoBean linked a page for Stuller, which are quite reasonable & there are some pretty styles to choose from. Make sure you click on all the pictures. This stuller setting, Series: 122004, has been purchased a few times from PS members & although not a Tiffany setting, is simply elegant. I recently asked BGD for a quote in platinum which is $625. Many vendors can purchase from Stuller & always advisable to have your stone mounted by the bench where you bought your stone.

The ring picture is a PS'r. Sorry, I don't recall her name.

Congratulations. :))
I keep coming back to this one. If only it was smooth at the base I think I'd love it. I wonder if it would be possible for BGD to smooth it over?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, have a .67ct stone, and wore it in a classic yg solitaire with six prongs in white, before resetting to a split shank style. I never thought the six prongs overwhelmed my stone, but now prefer the double prong/octet head I have. Just thought I'd through it out as an idea.
uploadfromtaptalk1372883115150.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1372883059138.jpg

please forgive my blurry pictures. I hope you can see what I mean.

Enjoy your new ring! It's going to be beautiful in the rose gold setting.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
KaeKae|1448835373|3955374 said:
I, too, have a .67ct stone, and wore it in a classic yg solitaire with six prongs in white, before resetting to a split shank style. I never thought the six prongs overwhelmed my stone, but now prefer the double prong/octet head I have. Just thought I'd through it out as an idea.
uploadfromtaptalk1372883115150.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1372883059138.jpg

please forgive my blurry pictures. I hope you can see what I mean.

Enjoy your new ring! It's going to be beautiful in the rose gold setting.
Thank you for your pictures - I do love double prongs! What size is your finger can I ask?

I just found this one - http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1613.htm

I love it but am wondering if 1.3 at the top is asking for trouble.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Felicity profile has a more angular feel with a smaller stone :(

_769.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results