shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding if I should go keep a custom cut diamond or not

dmdshopper

Rough_Rock
I requested a custom cut oval lab diamond for an engagement ring from distinctive gem and was guaranteed it would come back no less than G but it came back an H.
I've read several posts that said not to go any less than G in a lab diamond.
I've posted the aset below.
Can anyone give any advise or an opinion as to what I should do about the lower color?
aset.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photo of the diamond?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Have they sent videos in natural light? Or compared to a G? That might help you decide. Hopefully they are lowering the price as well. Seeing how it looks in a natural setting might help you decide if you can tolerate an H color. Can you get the stone shipped to you and return it if you don’t like the color grade after seeing it in person?

I personally do not love this style of Oval but if you do nothing is going to compare as it’s a very different look than traditional cut ovals. So I guess you’d have to wait for them to cut another in a higher color grade rough? Can you wait that long?

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Typically, low color ovals are not recommended (unless you know what you're getting into) due to the color concentration that happens due to facet location. I don't see the color concentrating in this particular diamond due to the cut.

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps see if they would be willing to provide a refund if you don't like it after seeing it in person.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd give it a chance in person unless the exact color grade is a "mind clean" issue to you or your partner, assuming you'd be able to return it for a full refund if you chose to.

I had an "i" color marquise (mined diamond) and it looked quite colorless to me. "H" is not a low color grade and there is not much difference between "g" and "h" imo.

I had a grading set of CZs at one time and had a very hard time distinguishing small color grade differences, even when they were turned upside down, which I believe is how diamond color is graded.

Right side up and mounted in a ring is even harder to differentiate. I don't know why lab diamonds would be any different as far as color grading goes but I'd look at it in person before deciding. Size also makes a difference, though I don't know how much difference. The stones I'm talking about, my marquise and the grading CZs, were somewhere between 1.5 and 3 carats.

My feeling is it's likely to not be a problem. Depending on what the original deal was, it seems you should probably get a small discount though. Good luck!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like elyque ovals (which im pretty sure this is), so I would want to see it in person before deciding.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is stunning! I had an H but I didn’t see the difference between that and an F. You should at least get the price lowered.

dmdshopper

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's response. I worked with them and had another one cut that recently came back and is an E. They did discount the price because of the additional delay. I'm much more pleased this time around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results