shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding for studs

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I am here because there is so much great info and experience and I need help. I have a big birthday (50) and an anniversary (20) coming up and my DH wants to get me something special, studs (a diamond for each event!). We bought a pair from Zoara:
http://www.zoara.com/diamonds/p_round_excellent_cut_i_vs1#p=4376075
http://www.zoara.com/diamonds/p_round_excellent_cut_i_vvs1#p=3839595,4033429 (diamond #2 from this link)

I picked the woven setting which I don't like. It sits too far from my ear so I need to find a different setting if I am keeping those. I would like a pair of diamondsthat are 2.4-2.5ctw. I have been looking at settings and love the Mark Morrell flame setting that has been posted in other threads:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/23573598024451238/

It is gorgeous but pricey $1600 for platinum. My other choice would be to send them to Brian Gavin and have them put in the Milgrain Bezel setting in WG:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-earrings/studs/handmade-milgrain-bezel-studs-18k-white-gold-5566w18 .

Part of me thinks if I am going to do that then I should get some BGD but they would likely have to be from the blue line (which I don't think I mind) and would be at least ~$2k more expensive. I love my husband's sentiment but the cost and the lack of experience on our part is stressing me out right now instead of letting me enjoy the process. My questions are:

1) Looking at the Zoara diamonds, do the specs look ok? I have them and they seem very lovely but I really don't like the setting so it is clouding my judgement. On the HCA the diamonds score a .8 and 1.7 I think. Is the Mark Morrell setting worth the money? It seems gorgeous (like art) but again it is expensive and I can't see it with my diamonds before I commit. It is for a big life event and I will have them forever.

2) Should I do the BGD blue with the milgrain bezel setting? Again, nonreturnable. Right now there are no BG blue that fit the bill but there may be soon according to Jamie.

3) Is the best option price/quality wise to do the Zoara pair with the BGD setting? I have looked locally and found no setting that wows me. I have looked alot online and really no other setting gets my attention the way these two do.

If anyone could help with an opinion I would be so grateful!!! :wall:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on hitting both milestones!

I am not an 'expert' on diamond dimensions etc, & am hesitant to weigh in on your choices, but will tell you this: cut is the most important of all the C's.

Someone with more to add will come along, I wanted to welcome & add congratulations :) Its a cold snowy night here & everyone is in, its wicked cold outside tonight!!

I would suggest you ask the mods to move this thread to Rocky Talky, you'll get far more traction in that forum than here at SMTB. There is a 'report concern' button on the upper right, thats where you can ask to have the thread moved. Best of luck :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. BGD can get beautiful GIA 3Ex studs with good HCA scores for you instead of buying their signature or blue line. This is what I'd do.
2. I love those BGD settings.

Go this route. Just call them and have the source the stones for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second Zoara diamond probably has some leakage judging from the pictures. I would absolutely go with BG diamonds over these. I love the blue line and would wait for the right diamonds to come in. It is worth having ideal cut diamonds even for studs! However, I would not pay for VVS-VS1 clarity with I color for studs. I do like good clarity, but I have VS2 diamond studs while many here go down to SI1-.

I love BG's milgrain bezels, but I am not sure about putting bezels on diamonds that size. I also would not consider paying $1600 for studs settings, personally, as much as I like Mark M. These are the milgrain bezel earrings I'd love to have by CvB Inspired Design.

cvbmilgrainbezelstuds.jpg

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I've purchased the Tiffany 6 prong platinum earring settings from better than diamonds before, they sold me just the setting and I had them set locally. Loved that setting! They weren't expensive either(I had 2 ctw). So I know they will sell you just the settings if you ask. Another suggestion is to contact David Klass and ask him how much a setting like the one you'd like would be. I was surprised how low his prices and quotes were, like extremely surprised.

I've had bezel studs and 6 prong set studs. The bezels make them bigger but I think the 6 prong makes them sparkle more.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks SOOOO much for all the help so far. It is invaluable to me!!! I will call BGD and I will ask that the thread be moved. The CvB bezel is gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck and let us know what you decide! (And then come back with pics!) :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results