shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding btwn small diamond stud earrings. 18k White gold or platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jems

Rough_Rock
I''m in my early 20s on a student budget looking to purchase my first pair of diamond earrings. I would greatly appreciate any assitance, advice, input or which one you would purchase. Here are my options (all from blue nile including 10% discount from using credit card):

18k White Gold Setting (Diamond is H-I color and SI clarity)
1) 18k White Gold 1/3 ctw - $270
2) 18k White Gold 1/2 ctw - $540
3) 18k White Gold 3/4 ctw - $945 (price is really pushing my budget)

Platinum Setting (Diamond is G-H color and VS clarity)
4) Platinum 1/3 ctw - $441
5) Platinum 1/2 ctw - $810 (price is really pushing my budget)

The backing for the above are all screwbacks. I plan on wearing these earrings daily 24/7. I have seen the 1/2 ctw in person and it''s small but not too small for my purposes. I am uncertain as to whether 1/3 ctw will be too small. If I were purchasing a ring, I would defnitely pay the extra $$ and get platinum as rings take a lot of wear and tear. If I were purchasing larger earrings I would also get it in platinum but since the earrings I am looking at right now are rather small, is it really necessary to get it in platinum. I do not want earrings that may be noticably yellowish or have noticable flaws to the naked eye Here are my concerns:

First,
I am currently not allergic to white gold (I have a White gold necklace I have worn daily for 2 years and it was fine) but I hear that people can develop allergies overtime. It would be terrible if I purchased these and 6 months down the line I find I am allergic but then again, what are the chances of that happening?

Secondly
, I am concerned about the White gold settings turning yellowish over time. I know this often occurs in rings in a short period of time, but what about earrings? Is this a reasonable concern or does this rarely happen with earrings? Will the threads really wear away on white gold earrings?

Third,
I do not know if this is all in my mind or if it it true but I have the mental image that a diamond set in white gold would not look as pure and white as the same diamond set in platinum. For bigger earrings this maybe a valid concern but is this an issue considering the size of the earrings I am looking at? Would the difference even be noticable?

I need help figuring out which pair of earrings is the best balance of quality and size for the best price. I want to hear the opinion of more experienced diamond consumers as to whether a higher quality diamond and platinum setting is necessary or overkil and a waste of moneyl for earrings in the 1/2 ctw size. Taking into consideration the size, would there be a noticable difference between a slightly better quality diamond ( VS and G-H) set in platinum versus a lower quality diamond (SI and H-I) set in 18k white gold? Is it recommended to go for size over quality or is it better to go smaller and get it set in platinum? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of diamond earrings in WG screwbacks that I''ve worn for 13 years. They still look white to me and show off the diamonds just fine. I have really small earlobes so I''d go for the .50ctw. You probably have bigger earlobes and if you can do it without eating noodles every day for a month consider going for the bigger ones. Unless the vendor has a good upgrade policy, then you could get the .50ctw and move up later.

HTH

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have plat. screwbacks that are .50 ctw and I love the size for everyday. They were a gift so I''m not complaining but If I were purchasing them today I''d just get WG for earrings. I also don''t like the screwbacks, i find that they are thicker and bother my ears so I don''t wear them as often as I would if they were friction backs.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
jems, most will say buy what you can afford and what you''d be comfortable with-mind clean is the expression used here. Nothing wrong with H-I colour SI clarity. You shouldn''t be able to see anything.
Have you ever worn screwbacks? They are NOT the most comfortable to put in. About wearing 24/7- diamonds attract grease and gunk on the posts and screwbacks aren''t easily put in and taken out.
I suggest you read some of the experiences by searching screw backs...

As regards colour look for threads on I colored diamonds which have been set in white metals- there are always loads of pics. They look pretty white heck even Tiffany''s go as low as I.

And the question about platinum VS white gold -look at the Show me your diamond studs by diamondseeker as there are pics of both and if the poster hadn''t said which metal they chose it is impossible to know.

You have to decide whether it is overkill for you. There is no right or wrong answer. The only advice which will be in common is to choose the best cut. But with small earrings it isn''t really going to make too much of a difference. They will still sparkle!
1.gif

Good luck in choosing your earrings.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2007 3:52:13 PM
Author:jems
I''m in my early 20s on a student budget looking to purchase my first pair of diamond earrings. I would greatly appreciate any assitance, advice, input or which one you would purchase. Here are my options (all from blue nile including 10% discount from using credit card):

18k White Gold Setting (Diamond is H-I color and SI clarity)
1) 18k White Gold 1/3 ctw - $270
2) 18k White Gold 1/2 ctw - $540
3) 18k White Gold 3/4 ctw - $945 (price is really pushing my budget)

Platinum Setting (Diamond is G-H color and VS clarity)
4) Platinum 1/3 ctw - $441
5) Platinum 1/2 ctw - $810 (price is really pushing my budget)

The backing for the above are all screwbacks. I plan on wearing these earrings daily 24/7. I have seen the 1/2 ctw in person and it''s small but not too small for my purposes. I am uncertain as to whether 1/3 ctw will be too small. If I were purchasing a ring, I would defnitely pay the extra $$ and get platinum as rings take a lot of wear and tear. If I were purchasing larger earrings I would also get it in platinum but since the earrings I am looking at right now are rather small, is it really necessary to get it in platinum. I do not want earrings that may be noticably yellowish or have noticable flaws to the naked eye Here are my concerns:

First,
I am currently not allergic to white gold (I have a White gold necklace I have worn daily for 2 years and it was fine) but I hear that people can develop allergies overtime. It would be terrible if I purchased these and 6 months down the line I find I am allergic but then again, what are the chances of that happening?

Secondly
, I am concerned about the White gold settings turning yellowish over time. I know this often occurs in rings in a short period of time, but what about earrings? Is this a reasonable concern or does this rarely happen with earrings? Will the threads really wear away on white gold earrings?

Third,
I do not know if this is all in my mind or if it it true but I have the mental image that a diamond set in white gold would not look as pure and white as the same diamond set in platinum. For bigger earrings this maybe a valid concern but is this an issue considering the size of the earrings I am looking at? Would the difference even be noticable?

I need help figuring out which pair of earrings is the best balance of quality and size for the best price. I want to hear the opinion of more experienced diamond consumers as to whether a higher quality diamond and platinum setting is necessary or overkil and a waste of moneyl for earrings in the 1/2 ctw size. Taking into consideration the size, would there be a noticable difference between a slightly better quality diamond ( VS and G-H) set in platinum versus a lower quality diamond (SI and H-I) set in 18k white gold? Is it recommended to go for size over quality or is it better to go smaller and get it set in platinum? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!
1.you are unlikely to develop an allergy in 18K if you currently have no sensitivity. it usually requires a high(er) nickel content. they had this problem with Euro coins when they were first released.

2. even if they did turn yellowish, it is closer to white than yellow. highly unlikely to see the difference on your ears.

3. no difference

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
jems,

you should read the post over in hangout by maxineret. she is looking for a screwback for a pair of earrings she has only had for 6 months. i believe she says it just fell off. read all the threads that other have recommended and you will be well armed with info. good luck.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you, I would get the 1/2 carat earrings in white gold. Platinum just seems too pricy for earrings. For an engagement ring I would spring for platinum, but not for earrings. If they do turn yellowish, you probably won''t even notice when you''re wearing them since you can hardly see the setting anyway. I have white gold settings for my earrings, and they haven''t turned yellow yet. I''ve had them for a year and a half and wear them about 3 days a week.
Also, I have other white gold pieces and I can''t tell the difference in color between platinum and white gold, so I don''t know if your 3rd concern is an issue.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I have tried on both .5 ctw and .33 ctw, and i have to say that i can see a big difference between the two. The .5ctw seem a lot bigger to me! If it were me, I''d get the .5 ctw in WG. I had a pair of studs in WG for years...wore them everyday...and they never yellowed. I recently upgraded and with the upgrade, I went with platinum settings. I wish I had stuck with WG for earrings. The platinum is a softer metal, and the constant putting them on and taking them off every night has already worn down the ridge that is supposed to help the backing catch and stay on (over a matter of months only). I even lost a back because of it (luckly didn''t loose the earring!) and had to take it back in to make another ridge thing. Granted, platinum doesn''t get "lost" when it wears down, it just displaces, but it''s really not worth it for earrings in my opinion.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 11:55:05 AM
Author: FacetFire
I have tried on both .5 ctw and .33 ctw, and i have to say that i can see a big difference between the two. The .5ctw seem a lot bigger to me! If it were me, I''d get the .5 ctw in WG. I had a pair of studs in WG for years...wore them everyday...and they never yellowed. I recently upgraded and with the upgrade, I went with platinum settings. I wish I had stuck with WG for earrings. The platinum is a softer metal, and the constant putting them on and taking them off every night has already worn down the ridge that is supposed to help the backing catch and stay on (over a matter of months only). I even lost a back because of it (luckly didn''t loose the earring!) and had to take it back in to make another ridge thing. Granted, platinum doesn''t get ''lost'' when it wears down, it just displaces, but it''s really not worth it for earrings in my opinion.

Interesting, FacetFire.

I would actually go down to 14k white gold. It''s very sturdy and most of the alloys now don''t use nearly as much nickel anyway. I''d put the money in the diamonds and use 14k white. Sturdy, less expensive, and you don''t see it much.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I second the 14k white gold. I had plat posts and they were a little bit heavy. I don''t think you''ll see a lot of metal, regardless. Plus, I like my necklaces and earrings to all match, luster wise.

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I third the 14K white gold! I''ve had .50 ctw earrings in white gold for 5 years. I take them off once a month to clean them. They are friction back. They were screw back at first, but I had them changed as they were too difficult to take on and off. I love my 14K white gold and it has never yellowed in 5 years worn everyday. If they did, you could have them rhodium plated very inexpensively (about $30-$40) but that doesn''t need to be done too often, if at all for earrings. My girl friend has earrings in 14K yellow gold and they are gorgeous as well. But, I prefer the white gold. I say....go for the .50 ctw in 14K white gold. You won''t be worry. I think 18K is a bit softer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results