shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between two diamonds

JackieBirdBurden

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who provided such sage advice in my first thread. It is very much appreciated and has proved invaluable as I've learned more about diamonds than I ever thought I would (or ever really wanted to!).

At several folks' suggestion, I visited ID Jewelry and Yekutiel showed my girlfriend and me some beautiful diamonds.

There are two that really stood out: one we thought sure was the one until we saw the second. The second is larger and is graded higher, but is quite a bit more expensive (~$1700 more). Whether the price/ct difference is justified I don't know, but I do know that my girlfriend absolutely fell in love with it (the danger of going ring shopping together, I guess! Although I think I would've been ruined for the first one by the discovery of the second even if I'd been by myself). It's just barely within the upper limit of budget, whereas the smaller of the two would've enabled me to come in quite a bit under budget. While it would always be great to save the money, it's not an absolute imperative. The most important thing is getting my fiancee-to-be a beautiful ring she'll love and cherish forever.

So, the thread title is a little misleading, because I'm leaning toward the 1.31ct diamond. Still, I would love to get everyone's honest assessment as to which is the better value and if there are any red flags that I should be aware of with either. Thanks!

Diamond One (GIA)
Shape/Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Carat Weight: 1.20 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet: None

1_19.jpg

anderson-idealscope-01.jpg

anderson-aset_white-01.jpg

anderson-hearts-02.jpg

-----------------------

Diamond Two (GIA)
Shape/Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Carat Weight: 1.31 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet: None

1_18.jpg

anderson_1.jpg

anderson_1_0.jpg

anderson_1_1.jpg

anderson_1_2.jpg

anderson_1_3.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've seen them both in person and both of you liked the second stone better. In fact, your gf "absolutely fell in love" with the second stone. Right? The second stone is one clarity grade higher and appears from the images to have more precise symmetry. I personally also like the higher crown angle. It probably was throwing off colored flashes of light.

They both score under 2 on the HCA. The dimensions weren't listed, but was it also bigger?

You could maybe get a simpler solitaire setting to make up for the extra cost of the stone. And let that baby do all the talking. :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one has better numbers, better images (as in better cut), and you both liked it better. Sounds like you found a winner!!! :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one is better cut than the first one. If you can swing it, go for the second. It sounds like both of you will be happier in the long run with it. She will be staring at it ALL the time! You can always do a simple solitaire and later change the setting if she wants something more elaborate.

Come back and post some photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results