shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between 2 diamonds...

carrwash13

Rough_Rock
First diamond: 1.140 Round G VS2 Ideal Hearts and Arrows AGS $11,000 listed as EYECLEAN
Second diamond: 1.213 Round F SI1 Ideal Hearts and Arrows AGS $12,300.00 NOT listed as eyeclean.

My ideal would be a 1.2 ct round F SI1 hearts and arrows that is eye clean but this is proving somewhat hard to find in the $11k range.

Here are my questions:
1. I really wanted at least a 1.2 ct. Will I even notice a size difference between the two?
2. I wanted an eye clean diamond but the second one is not listed as this. Is this a big issue?
Here is a link to the AGS report:
http://pics.whiteflash.com/jewelry/thumbnail.ashx?itemcode=ci_ags-104052379016.jpg&type=certhouse
3. I also really wanted an F also but if the G has a great cut do you think it will really matter?

Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
carrwash13|1314051707|2996893 said:
First diamond: 1.140 Round G VS2 Ideal Hearts and Arrows AGS $11,000 listed as EYECLEAN
Second diamond: 1.213 Round F SI1 Ideal Hearts and Arrows AGS $12,300.00 NOT listed as eyeclean.

My ideal would be a 1.2 ct round F SI1 hearts and arrows that is eye clean but this is proving somewhat hard to find in the $11k range.

Here are my questions:
1. I really wanted at least a 1.2 ct. Will I even notice a size difference between the two?
2. I wanted an eye clean diamond but the second one is not listed as this. Is this a big issue?
Here is a link to the AGS report:
http://pics.whiteflash.com/jewelry/thumbnail.ashx?itemcode=ci_ags-104052379016.jpg&type=certhouse
3. I also really wanted an F also but if the G has a great cut do you think it will really matter?

Thanks!

1. Depends on the spread of the 1.2ct in question - the way the stone is proportioned makes a difference. I truly don't think you'll be sacrificing in visual size w/ a 1.15 unless you're an eagle ::)

2. Second one - decide what your standards for eyeclean are (clean from 6"? 12"? faceup, or from the sides as well?...) and ask if both stones meet your standards specifically. Different vendors have different in-house definitions of the term 'eyeclean' - you want your vendor to vet the stone to your personal requirements.

3. Looks like a nice stone. Colour perception can be very personal - but there is no way a G RB will be anything but blazing white. You will likely see the difference between the G and say a D/E, but I think most people who are okay with an F would also be okay with a G. I would recommend having it shipped out to you and see what you think in-person before having it set.

4. Hearts photos and actual IS/ASET photos of both stones?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Call the vendor and ask if the F SI1 is eye clean to your specifications. F vs. G is personal preference...is the recipient sensitive to color? The difference in size will be minimal and probably not noticed unless compared sitting next to the other stone.

carrwash13

Rough_Rock
[quote="Yssie|1314052738|2996907]1. Depends on the spread of the 1.2ct in question - the way the stone is proportioned makes a difference. I truly don't think you'll be sacrificing in visual size w/ a 1.15 unless you're an eagle ::)
[/quote]

How do I tell if the spread will make it look big? Specs are below if that helps:
Depth % 61.4
Table % 56.2
Crown Angle 34.8
Star 52.0
Pavilion Angle 40.9
Crown % 15.1
Lower Girdle % 77.0
Measurements 6.72x6.74x4.13
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was in the same boat. I wanted an F color 1.2 - 1.3 carat SI1 diamond but due to the price increase earlier this year it was difficult to find one that fits my budget. I eventually picked a 1.22 ct G SI1 Brian Gavin "Blue" with medium fluor and I LOVE IT. I am very color sensitive and in no way, shape or form does it even look yellow. The cut is amazing and it sparkles like mad. I don't know if you are okay with flour but this one fits your budget and the strong blue will make the G look whiter. And it's 1.26 ct!!!

1.26 ct G VS2 $11k after pricescope discount http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104052883015

carrwash13

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty ignorant here but what does strong blue Fluorescence mean? Is that usually considered good or bad? Also, what is everyone else's opinion on this diamond? It seems to be close to what I'm looking for...

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I took this directly from the Brian Gavin "Blue" page:

"Many diamonds release a visible light called fluorescence when placed under ultraviolet (UV) light – typically a black light, like those found in nightclubs.

Under such conditions, fluorescence can be seen in about 1/3 of diamonds. Fluorescent colors include orange, yellow and white, however the most common fluorescent color in diamonds is blue.

There are 2 sides to every coin, and the effects of fluorescence in a diamond are no different. In some cases, fluorescence positively affects diamonds making them appear whiter than their true color grade when exposed to UV elements. In others cases, fluorescence can cause the diamond to have a “milky” effect and/or affect the brightness of the diamond. Brian Gavin Blue diamonds are not negatively affected at all by fluorescence."

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavins-blue-diamonds-with-fluorescence/

You can probably also do a search on blue flourescence and/or look at some of the posts put up by folks here who own a Brian Gavin "Blue."

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
carrwash13|1314058175|2996963 said:
I'm pretty ignorant here but what does strong blue Fluorescence mean? Is that usually considered good or bad? Also, what is everyone else's opinion on this diamond? It seems to be close to what I'm looking for...

some fluorescence may cost the milky, cloudy look that OCgirl posted, but brian's blue diamond has been selected to not have such effect on the diamond. Also a plus on the strong blue fluorescence is it can make the current diamond color look whiter than its own grade.

carrwash13

Rough_Rock
I'm a little confused...so if a diamond has a lot of blue flourescance does that mean it will be blue in natural day light? I'm seeing pictures online and I'm seeing both really white looking ones and then some w/ blue?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
To my knowledge, the blue is only in black light, not in the day light. I think BG Blue diamonds should look very nice in daylight.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond doesn't look blue unless the light has an UV component to it. Honestly most diamonds with medium and strong flour will barely show anything unless it's exposwd to a black light or very strong UV light. I never detected any hints of blue in my diamond (although I wouldn't mind to see some blue!!!)

Flourescence, like other diamond characteristics, is a person preference. Some ppl love it and search for ones with it. Some ppl don't want it. Some ppl don't care either way.

If you want more info you should contact Brian Gavin. Brian spent about half an hour explaining the characteristics to me. He's very knowledgeable and patient. It's definitely worth your time to learn more about diamonds from Brian even if at the end you decide to buy elsewhere. Getting yourself edcucated never hurts, right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results