shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between 2 August Vintage Cushions

pinn

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for help deciding between two AVC at GOG. Should I go for a 0.75ct G or a 1.0ct L?

I know some people prefer the warmer tones of the lower color grades, however I still have a personal preference for whiter diamonds. The only reason I considered going for the L is because after seeing so many photos here on pricescope of L and lower diamonds I was surprised at how white most of them appeared in photos. Additionally we were hoping to get closer to 1ct so the G seems a little on the small side. So I'm trying to figure out how noticeable the color in the L will be and whether it will bother me or me or not. I'm leaning towards the L since it seems from the pictures that it often faces up quite white and I may often not even notice the difference in color grade, but the size will always be noticeable.

Should I go for the smaller G or larger L? Is the warm tone in the L likely to be noticeable and bother me on a regular basis?

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Have you seen an L in RL? It's such a personal thing, maybe you would like a warm tone.
Personally I prefer white so I would go with a smaller G and maybe put a halo round it or something. That's my preference though, you need to go with your gut feeling as to what you like the best :). I am sure whatever you choose will be beautiful

Q

Queenie60

You need to see the L stone in real life - if you're not color sensitive the L would be fine however if you like your stones on the whiter side, the G may be better for you.

pinn

Rough_Rock
Thanks Queenie60 & chamomiletea. We're from out of town so we won't get a chance to see them in real life. We did get pics and a video from GOG. From the side view the difference is obvious, in a faux sort of setting the difference can't be seen. Side by side face up there is a small visible difference. In the video the difference is negligible as well. If GOG had more stock we would consider taking a trip to look in person but as it is I don't think it's worth it.

This post showing several shot's of piratefan's L stone is also pushing me toward the L. I can see the difference compared to D stone in the post but for most of the shots it appears colorless to me. Considering the difference in color ratings the comparison to the D doesn't look as dramatic as I would have expected either.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/piratefan-finally-got-her-1-18-l-avc-lots-of-pics.147746/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/piratefan-finally-got-her-1-18-l-avc-lots-of-pics.147746/[/URL]

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Photos can be misleading and depending on your monitor, the same photo can vary wildly between monitors (screens).

I a lot of Ls look white in pictures but in real life, they look like a warm vanilla. I'm color sensitive though--- but if you are not, go for it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's way too much territory between G and L to make me choose either. For an AVC e-ring I'd want H, I or J color. I have bought a second diamond in a lower color, but I am happier with my I color AVR for my e-ring.

Have Jon cut one in I-J color for you if it can work time-wise. You aren't limited to what he has in stock at the moment.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1473619987|4075214 said:
There's way too much territory between G and L to make me choose either. For an AVC e-ring I'd want H, I or J color. I have bought a second diamond in a lower color, but I am happier with my I color AVR for my e-ring.

Have Jon cut one in I-J color for you if it can work time-wise. You aren't limited to what he has in stock at the moment.

+1

pinn

Rough_Rock
Interesting perspectives, thanks.

The custom cutting did come up but ultimately the time frame for that was an issue. Given that GOG has solid buy-back/trade in policy I am considering that route in the future possibly as part of an upgrade.

It seems to me that they don't have much inventory right now, does anyone know whether this is the typical range that they carry or would this be considered somewhat low stock for them?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an L AVC -

I have pale skin, and the L color just blended into my skin tone too much. It was a gorgeous stone, but definitely not white. I sent it back and got a G AVC instead.

pinn

Rough_Rock
I hadn't considered how it will look on my skin tone... I suspect the stone will mostly face up white but from any other angle will show warmth

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here, I had an L and M AVC at my home once to look at. I think the color shows very realistically in the photos, and often you don't see accurate color in photos.

But to answer your question, their stock is low and several people here have custom cut to get what they wanted. In pretty much all cases, they were happy with the outcome, but it does take time. I expect that their stock will increase over time, though.

The top round brilliant is G color, and the AVCs are M on top and L on the bottom. They were beautiful, but you have to embrace the warmth.

img_12670.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a better-cut diamond returns more light so they look brighter and whiter face up.
Notice I said face up.

But the majority of the time I look at my diamond I did not flip my wrist up to get a straight down view.
I usually see it in more of a side view.
Unfortunately, it is in the side view that body color is most noticeable.

If you are not okay with that don't get an L unless you plan to put in a full bezel setting which hides the pavilion and girdle from view.
Even then I'd guess you'd see L body color in the crown in the side view.

pinn

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the comparison pics, I can see the difference there

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results