shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Decide on Setting for E-Ring: Pave on Side of Shank?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
We''ve found an oval cut unheated sapphire for my e-ring. The setting will be diamond halo with a split shank and pave about 7//8 down the shank. However, my SO and I are disagreeing with the having pave on the side of the shank. I do love the look, but SO thinks it''s superfluous. I suggested to him (and the custom jeweler) that we put a very simple design similar to the Tiffany Legacy as pictured below. SO still thinks "it''s still not necessary", and jeweler says that I couldn''t wear another ring with e-ring as it would it would scratch the side stones, which I''m fine with, because I had not intended on wearing a wedding ring with my e-ring (my fingers are relatively short). I think I''m compromising by having the simple pave and one diamond on the side, but should I just give in?

To those of you who do have pave on the side of the shank, do you wear it with your wedding or other rings and find that it scratches?

TiffLegacyManuel.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Not sure I understand - how could pave on your e-ring''s shank scratch side stones on another ring worn on the same finger? Are you refering to that single diamond below the center (that''s melee, not pave)?

When it comes to pave on e-rings it all depends on how much do you plan to wear it - 24/7, or just to dress up etc. If you''d like something that can be worn daily, you better forget about pave, cause no matter how good the craftsmanship on the ring is, stones will start falling out eventually. Pave as a setting is not intended for everyday pieces, unless you really enjoy taking your jewellery on repaires. Even halos are not the best idea, but still better than pave on the sides.

And when it comes to that melee shown in the picture, I like those kinds of details, just to have something a little diferent.

And when it comes to your SO, well, most of us guys are like that, we like things plain and simple. So you both have to compromise, or you can just tell him that it''s either your way or he''ll no longer be necessary
9.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I opted not to have pave on the sides of my e-ring - although I do have pave set down the prongs and on the basket.

I did consider having pave just on one side so that I could wear a wedding band next to it without problems. Talking of which, if you are having a split shank you might want to consider having a w-band made at the same time.

I needed a curved band to fit mine as straight looked really weird. I wanted the diamonds to match on both the e-ring and w-band, so I had to make another custom piece (not easy as the people who did the original CAD were no longer around and my e-ring was in the UK and Wink is in the USA). He did a fantastic job, and even graduated the diamonds on the w-band to match the e-ring, but it would have been way easier if we had done the two together.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3-sided pave ering that I wear with a curved wedding band. The wedding band does rub on some of the diamonds and I can see the wear very visibly as of now (only married 4 months)... I was, and still am, thinking of soldering them together.

Pandora -- Did you ever post pictures of your wedding band? We don''t see too many curved bands around here and I would love to see it
1.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
My ring is a 3-sided pave, Leon. He made sure I did not plan on wearing any bands against it.

I hadn''t planned on it, but just for grins I put my 2 eternity bands on both sides to see if
it would hold the ER in place better. (it''s a bit big) I liked the bling, but it''s easy to see how
the damage could happen.

If you decide on the side pave, maybe wear a tiny, thin plain filler band inbetween the ER and a pave WB.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results