shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Cushion Cut - 1.51, SI1, D color, EX cut Strong Fluor

simonsays2

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. First off - This forum has been a godsend over the last few months - really enjoyed learning as much as I could. Thank you.

I''ve managed to pick out a diamond, but would really like some last minute advice. The diamond which will be in a James Allen halo setting can be found here: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.51-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-598038

With a great cut, color, polish, table and depth - this stone at first looked almost too good to be true -- but we all know there's always a reason right? While there are no larger inclusions, there are a couple on the table facet which have a mirroring effect - i've talked with some people and the consensus is that this will still be an eye clean stone - what do you think? Also - this stone has a strong blue fluorscence.

At a strong blue grading, I am a little worried of he milky/hazy effects that can occur. But based on the images on james allen, it looks like a very clear stone and the hints of milk/hazy/oily that you can find on similar fluorscent stones is not as or at all prevalent.

I have 24 hours to decide on this stone - help!

Another option have been considering is this: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.40-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-599573

While at aVVS2 and F color - the depth is a little large and I worry the dark areas on the face up view are over contributing to light leakage and the stone will not have desirable brilliance.

Thank You Thank You!

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Re: Help! Cushion Cut - 1.51, SI1, D color, EX cut Strong Fl

Have you compared different levels of fluorescence in stores? When shopping for stones, I went to every store that sold loose diamonds to be able to compare different specs although I knew I would be ultimately buying online. By doing that, I completely ruled out stones with any fluorescence due to their obviously milky/hazy appearance. I wouldn't be so worried if it was faint fluorescence but from the stones I've looked at strong fluorescence = milky.

Also, I wouldn't trust anyones opinion of "eye clean" except your own since it can be so subjective. A lot of stones I was shown and viewed online were supposed to be eye clean but inclusions on the table (especially ones that appeared dark) were pretty obvious to me from a normal distance, even in VS2 stones. I wouldn't totally rule out stones with inclusions on the table but be sure they fit *your* definition of eye clean.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You need to request aset images of both these stones. JA can tell you if the fluorescence has any adverse affects on the stone.

simonsays2

Rough_Rock

@Rosiepink - thank you for the personal experiences you've had. I haven't done a lot of in-store shopping myself - at least to the point of comparing stones with and without fluorescence. I see quite a few opinions (here and elsewhere) where the milkiness isn't considered as common - but often times there is little mention of how strong or faint it is.

At this point I am considering going through with purchasing the stone and taking advantage of the easy no questions asked returns that JA offers for 30 days after receipt. I've seen stones online (mainly on this website and youtube) that have strong fluor that do not appear milky and end up looking quite nice in the sun. If i decide to go with the stone - I can always sit down and talk with the prospective to be and return the stone if she doesn't like it.

There's always the question of resale value - but generally speaking - you're not going to get your money out of a stone as it is - and as they say.. diamonds are forever :D

regarding 'eye-clean' - that is true .. people selling are certainly looking to sell and not get your the best stone - something definitely to consider. Its a shame I can't buy up 6 stones and return 5 - hah.

@tyty333 - this particular stone is not in NY but at one of JA's other storage facilities so they are unable to provide an ASET or have a gemologist get a hands on (so I am told).

simonsays2

Rough_Rock

The ring is in! I went for the strong blue fluor 1.51 D modified brilliant with excellent symmetry and polish. The Setting and stone look great together. I'd like to share some pictures with you all and hear what you have to say regarding the stone and its appearance in different lighting conditions.

Would love feedback - through JA there's a 30 day window for returns.

In diffuse lit room - incandescents and near a doorway out of direct sun:

Then took a few shots (iphone 6 camera so darkness may be to overexposure and pinpoint lighting?) Blueish tint from fluor I suspect:

Note: its really hard to get good photos in direct sunlight I'm finding - from what I read this isn't uncommon - especialyl with cushions which are generally deeper stones?

Inside lighting against a dark background:

More to come in next post.

img_3918_1_.jpg

img_3914_1_.jpg

img_3915_1_0.jpg

img_3928_1_.jpg

simonsays2

Rough_Rock

To continue...

In a festive arrangement:

Inside heads up under a couple incandescent lights:

Now I got a blacklight and starting playing to see the fluorescence in action:

here it is under the blacklight at two different distances - close and further away - 15" or so I'd say.

So what does the PS community think?! Is the woman to be going to be over the moon or should I continue the hunt. In person it is a beautiful ring and has a wonderful dynamic fire. I am however a little concerned in howit appears in pictures under some lights - given that we have a lot of photos coming up very soon :).

Thanks!

img_3930_1_.jpg

img_3933_2_.jpg

img_3942_1_.jpg

img_3941_1_.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Try some shots outside under a tree and/or with your back turned to the sun.
In one of your shots I can completely see the gorgeousness. lovely facets.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond photography takes a bit of practice.

You're photos look like a lot of peoples when they first start to photograph their rings.

On her hand in photos it will look white and large , I'm sure.

I think it looks lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results