shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Color or clarity? Price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kyle

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just signed on to this forum after a friend recommended I check it out for diamond advice. I can''t decide. I’ve found 4 diamonds at Whiteflash that I''m considering and wanted to ask the panel of experts on the forum what they think of these choices and the prices. They are all ACA H&A, AGS certs, with ideal polish and symmetry.

Choice A:
Carat: 1.556
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Measurements: 7.53-7.55 x 4.57
Table %: 56
Depth %: 60.6
Girdle: 0.7% to 1.2% Faceted
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Inert
Price: $14,160

Choice B:
Carat: 1.566
Color: G
Measurements: 7.54-7.56 x 4.57
Depth %: 60.5
Girdle: 0.9% to 1.5% Faceted
Price: $14,250

Choice C:
Carat: 1.635
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Measurements: 7.66-7.68 x 4.66
Table %: 55
Depth %: 60.8
Girdle: 0.9% to 1.4% Faceted
Price: $15,235

Choice D:
Carat: 1.537
Color: F
Measurements: 7.49-7.52 x 4.55
Depth %: 60.6
Girdle: 0.9% to 1.2% Faceted
Fluorescence: Negligible
Price: $15,260

I don’t really see much difference between A & B, except that B may be a little larger.
I know that choices A, B and D all have a better clarity grades than choice C, but I really like the fact that choice C is a larger stone and higher color grade. Or is there not that much difference between the E, F and G color grades? Should I sacrifice color for clarity? What about the price differentials?
rolleyes.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kyle!
wavey.gif

I checked out the diamonds you listed. Evidently 2 are no longer available. They did not show up in the Price Scope search or on the White Flash web site. The 2 diamonds remaining are the 1.635 ct, E, SI1, and the 1.537 ct, F, VS2

First of all, the diamonds you have chosen to consider have the #1 C,.... CUT. They will face up much whiter and brighter than other decently well cut diamonds with the same color rating. An F ACA can easily be mistaken by anyone to be a D color diamond. And, because they have CUT, they will maximize every speck of light, even in the lowest levels of light available, to flash color and white light. Both diamonds have excellent Cut Adviser ratings. 1.4 TIC, Ex/Ex/Ex/VG. That's Excellent white light return, Excellent fire, Excellent scintillation, and Very Good spread. Both diamonds will be great performers.

The key to clarity in selecting a diamond is size, type, color, and location of inclusions. Trading down on clarity can sometimes allow you to trade up in color and/or carat weight. You can get a great SI1 diamond that will be 100% eye clean for less money than the same size and color VS clarity diamond. In larger diamonds, it can be harder to find SI1's where inclusions don't show through the sides. That is definitely a consideration when the diamond is going to be set in an e-ring. It all depends on the size, color, type, and location of the inclusions.

On the issue of color, these diamonds are E and F color. Both are in the "colorless" range and only 1 color grade apart. You may or may not notice a color difference between the 2 in a loose side by side comparison. You probably will not see a difference once the diamonds are mounted. Most people don't see the difference in 1 color grade jump, but usually can when the color jumps 2 or more grades. That too, though, really depends on your own personal sensitivity to color.

The E, SI1 has a very clean inclusion plot and very tight variances on the Sarin Report. Price Scope price on that diamond is $14,473. The F, VS2 also has a clean inclusion plot with a slightly larger variance on the bottom facets arrangement. Price Scope price on that diamond is $14,497. Price Scope members get a "special" pricing discount. When you talk to the folks at White Flash, be sure to tell them you are a PS member.

The price difference is almost negligible, but the size difference is not. The E color diamond has a larger diameter and will look bigger than the F color. You might give the folks at White Flash a call and ask about the inclusions. Brian Gavin can physically pull both diamonds out and discuss them with you over the phone.

If the inclusions in the E color diamond are white crystals and/or well placed, I'd be inclined to go with the larger diamond in this case. If you are not comfortable with the idea of SI clarity, the F color diamond will be a great choice. You can't go wrong selecting either diamond.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Since the G's aren't available anymore, I'd go for the SI 1 E, assuming it's eye clean...

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
How about posting the crown and pavilion angle measurements for the two remaining diamonds? Nobody can make an accurate recommendation to you without knowing that information... Copies of the plotting diagrams would help also...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results