shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing Diamond Studs

kngy422

Rough_Rock
I am looking for my first pair of natural diamond studs - roughly 2 ctw or just under. I've gone to a few places in the NY Diamond district asking for GIA-certified, triple-excellent diamond studs (G/VS2 or better) and was told that those specs are "engagement ring quality" and overkill. I do have the budget for quality earrings and see them as a forever, everyday piece, but also don't want to spend money unnecessarily on a pair of studs that look the same (to the average person) as a pair that cost $4000 more just for specs on a report. So my question is, what are good specs/is a good price point for 2 ctw studs to get the most "bang for your buck"?

I was quoted $9K for two 1 cts (G/SI) with platinum setting.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
If you’re willing to go down in color, here’s a pair from Whiteflash. ACA might be overkill for studs, but the price of $6976 is nice.

If you’re willing to go to $10.8k, this H pair is nice.

Did you want to set them in white gold/platinum or yellow gold?

kngy422

Rough_Rock
Platinum because my ears are sensitive. Will there be a noticeable difference between the $10,800 vs $6,976 pair? The jeweller I spoke to seemed to suggest that most people can't tell the difference, and that for studs it's unnecessary to spend the extra $. (I do like the icey white look though).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going from an H to K color will be noticeable in terms of color. How color sensitive you are depends on you and your taste. You can always call Whiteflash and ask them to do a side by side view video of the diamonds to see what you think. I have had two pair of Whiteflash ACA diamond studs and never felt like they were overkill in terms of cut or performance. Love their sparkle!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the sparkle over the color so the K might be perfect!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I’m pretty sure WF keeps ACAs on hand. Remember that studs are far apart and seen at a distance. Maybe a jeweler nearby has K studs so you can try them on? Also better cut stones look whiter. So an ACA K might face up like a bargain-cut J or I or even H.

I think YouTube has some comparison videos of color and cut, showing how a better cut looks whiter. And these would be The Best Cut.

kngy422

Rough_Rock
Here’s a Brian Gavin I pair at $8300 if you go down in clarity. They will happily send you a video of the stones side by side. They have impeccable customer service, too.

Thank you! Do you think clarity is the least important of the specs given that they are earrings?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock

I think those would be perfect because you get the best cut, but save money by going to SI1 (this will not be noticeable on the ear), save money again by going just under 1 carat each, and by getting I color. Honestly I’d be happy to go down to J unless it’s a mind-clean issue for you. Keep in mind you might want to get locking backs with a supportive disk to keep the studs up:https://chrysme.la/products/chrysmela-extra

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some day you might want to use the diamonds for something else! Why not get a great cut?

kngy422

Rough_Rock
I think those would be perfect because you get the best cut, but save money by going to SI1 (this will not be noticeable on the ear), save money again by going just under 1 carat each, and by getting I color. Honestly I’d be happy to go down to J unless it’s a mind-clean issue for you. Keep in mind you might want to get locking backs with a supportive disk to keep the studs up:https://chrysme.la/products/chrysmela-extra

Thank you for the feedback!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those are very nice. But, if I were going for SI1, I’d want the inclusions to not be on the table. They’ll be noticeable with close inspection and if you (or a descendent) decide to use them in a future ring it would be a detractor. I’d call WF and ask for similar but with better placed inclusions.

Also, for the mounting, look into la pousette stems/backs. They’re worth the piece of mind they bring!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Confession: I am a fanboy of BGD
solution: call Lesley at BGD to put together pairs for you.
Good luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results