shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing between 2 emerald diamonds please

db73

Rough_Rock
Hi! Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! I'm stuck between these 2 emerald cut diamonds. I've asked for the ASET but unfortunately they don't have them for these. I understand it's hard to tell light performance based on just a video, but from the specs, would you recommend either of these or should I keep looking?

Diamond 1Diamond 2
Carat2.042.05
ColorFF
ClarityVS1VS1
Depth %65.30%65.30%
Table %65%64%
Pav Depth48.50%47.50%
Pav Angle
Crown Height13%13.50%
Crown Angle
CuletLongLong
Length8.748.54
Width5.965.96
LW Ratio1.471.43
VideoVideoVideo
I'm very much a newbie, and just from learning online, I found these parameters for an emerald cut. Are these general parameters for emerald cuts ideal?
  • Depth % 60-65
  • Table % 60-65
  • Crown Angle 30-40 degrees
  • Crown Height 12-15 %
  • Pavilion angle 43.3-46.8 degrees (ideal is 45 degrees)
  • Very thin to slightly thick, or thin to thick girdle edge, or anywhere in between

Thank you so much in advance!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a newbie, too, but my understanding with emeralds is that you need to see them. Do you have videos of them? If you have the certificate numbers, you can sometimes find the videos on loupe360.com.

I'm sure the experts will chime in soon!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know how to make sense of the spinning videos for emerald cuts so no comment on the diamonds. As far as numbers go the only consistencies that I have seen in my search are that lower depths help maximize face up size, and higher crowns and smaller tables help minimize tilt windows. Other than that pretty much anything goes.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops! There are the videos! :lol:

db73

Rough_Rock
I'm a newbie, too, but my understanding with emeralds is that you need to see them. Do you have videos of them? If you have the certificate numbers, you can sometimes find the videos on loupe360.com.

I'm sure the experts will chime in soon!

Oh thank you! I didn't realize you could do that, thanks for the tip!

db73

Rough_Rock
I don’t know how to make sense of the spinning videos for emerald cuts so no comment on the diamonds. As far as numbers go the only consistencies that I have seen in my search are that lower depths help maximize face up size, and higher crowns and smaller tables help minimize tilt windows. Other than that pretty much anything goes.

Thank you for the advice!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I see one is gone already. I am not an expert, but an owner of an emerald 3 stone ring, so I know what you’re going through. I think you have to see them in person. Know the return policy and take it from there. Get a ring holder from Amazon and wear it around in different lighting conditions. Get an ASET scope kit if you can and use a white screen (just search it on your phone) to take photos. Then post it and ask @Karl_K as he is the fancy cut expert on here.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just checked cut and not inclusions or crystal as those videos are not good for that,, to much light.
1st one has a lot of potential
2nd looks pretty good also.
I would probably bring the first one in first.

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock
Hi! Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! I'm stuck between these 2 emerald cut diamonds. I've asked for the ASET but unfortunately they don't have them for these. I understand it's hard to tell light performance based on just a video, but from the specs, would you recommend either of these or should I keep looking?

Diamond 1Diamond 2
Carat2.042.05
ColorFF
ClarityVS1VS1
Depth %65.30%65.30%
Table %65%64%
Pav Depth48.50%47.50%
Pav Angle
Crown Height13%13.50%
Crown Angle
CuletLongLong
Length8.748.54
Width5.965.96
LW Ratio1.471.43
VideoVideoVideo
I'm very much a newbie, and just from learning online, I found these parameters for an emerald cut. Are these general parameters for emerald cuts ideal?
  • Depth % 60-65
  • Table % 60-65
  • Crown Angle 30-40 degrees
  • Crown Height 12-15 %
  • Pavilion angle 43.3-46.8 degrees (ideal is 45 degrees)
  • Very thin to slightly thick, or thin to thick girdle edge, or anywhere in between

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi! My mom just received her 3.03 emerald cut, E, VVS2, that fit into all the parameters you listed; set in a yellow gold bezel setting from RockHer.com and says it looks fake. I’m assuming because 3 carats for an emerald is too big. And she thought it would have more facets. She is going to return it. So I have done my research for three years on price scope and found her the diamond after three more months of checking all the best websites here etc. we saw the videos with an asset scope too so with an emerald I think you really need to see it in person. I had bought one when I was getting engaged from Amazon with the size and setting I thought I wanted and got it and figured out the Emerald cut isn’t for me. I just upgraded my E ring and bought it from RockHer.com a round brilliant size 2.13, G, VS1, that arrived at my moms today with hers as well and I will see it in person tomorrow but she sent me a pic on her hand cause i can’t wait she said the picture she sent doesn’t do my new ring justice. So RockHer isn’t the he problem with her ring if they set mine beautifully with the stone I bought from them that met Kim’s parameters on here. So don’t go any bigger is my suggestion than 2 carats for an emerald. Three is way too big it looks fake. Lesson learned right? Bigger doesn’t always mean better. Haha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results