shape
carat
color
clarity

help choosing an engagement diamond

Chan55

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I’ve been shopping around for diamonds for my gf. I’ve been doing a lot of research about diamonds and I was wanting to see what’s the experts on the site would advise about the diamond I found. It is a GIA xxx. The Gia report is 7228600415. It is a 2.24 ct H SI2 round diamond. I put the dimensions in the HCA and it scored a 2.8. The store selling the diamond is asking for $18k. Also I noticed the diamond report was back in 2016 will that be an issue? Any advice or recommendation would be great. Should I get this diamond?

Jon

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I’ve been shopping around for diamonds for my gf. I’ve been doing a lot of research about diamonds and I was wanting to see what’s the experts on the site would advise about the diamond I found. It is a GIA xxx. The Gia report is 7228600415. It is a 2.24 ct H SI2 round diamond. I put the dimensions in the HCA and it scored a 2.8. The store selling the diamond is asking for $18k. Also I noticed the diamond report was back in 2016 will that be an issue? Any advice or recommendation would be great. Should I get this diamond?

Jon
GIA report:
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7228600415

The angles show it has a lower crown and larger table, which tends to produce more white light than coloured fire, but the shorter LGFs at 75% will counterbalance that to a degree, if I understand things correctly.

Depth 61.5 %
Table 59 %
Crown Angle 33.5°
Crown Height 13.5%
Pavilion Angle 41.2°
Pavilion Depth 44.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.5%
Culet None

There are 13 GIA XXX stones in the HCA search tool that might be worth looking at:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/OO79sz

That 2.5 I SI1 from USA Certed Diamonds in that list would look substantial if you are looking for size, as the HCA tool shows it has good spread and would look big for its size. (8.74mm x 8.72mm)

There are also a couple of options at H or G colour, but it looks like you'll need to look at I colour if you want the best performing stones over 2.2cts, or drop a little in size.

Most options appear to be SI clarity but this VS2 might be interesting:
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12379847/round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity

Last edited:

Chan55

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the advice! I do not mind going down in size. I want to get her at least 2ct but I am willing to go down to 1.8ct for an ideal cut. I would like to stay at G or H color since she has a sensitivity to color. But as for the one I found would you guys say no? 18k is already a little over my budget ideally I want to stay at 15k. I was hoping to be able to see it at a store then online which such a big purchase. Also because I want to be able to bring it to the store and get it polish or fix if needed than mailing the diamond. But I am open to advice and recommendations.

Last edited:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for the advice! I do not mind going down in size. I want to get her at least 2ct but I am willing to go down to 1.8ct for an ideal cut. I would like to stay at G or H color since she has a sensitivity to color. But as for the one I found would you guys say no? 18k is already a little over my budget ideally I want to stay at 15k. I was hoping to be able to see it at a store then online which such a big purchase. Also because I want to be able to bring it to the store and get it polish or fix if needed than mailing the diamond. But I am open to advice and recommendations.
I don’t have a link but there was one stone on whiteflash that was super close to 2ct and $15k because it’s not over the mark... I will find it later today.

0ngster

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

any diamonds thats around 1ct? Budget around 7k USD. Recommendations would be great as its my first time buying an engagement ring. I heard James Allen diamonds are affordable for this 1ct range?

Chan55

Rough_Rock
I don’t have a link but there was one stone on whiteflash that was super close to 2ct and $15k because it’s not over the mark... I will find it later today.
Thank you for all the help! This is a very nerve wrecking process.

Chan55

Rough_Rock
GIA report:
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7228600415

The angles show it has a lower crown and larger table, which tends to produce more white light than coloured fire, but the shorter LGFs at 75% will counterbalance that to a degree, if I understand things correctly.

Depth 61.5 %
Table 59 %
Crown Angle 33.5°
Crown Height 13.5%
Pavilion Angle 41.2°
Pavilion Depth 44.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.5%
Culet None

There are 13 GIA XXX stones in the HCA search tool that might be worth looking at:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/OO79sz

That 2.5 I SI1 from USA Certed Diamonds in that list would look substantial if you are looking for size, as the HCA tool shows it has good spread and would look big for its size. (8.74mm x 8.72mm)

There are also a couple of options at H or G colour, but it looks like you'll need to look at I colour if you want the best performing stones over 2.2cts, or drop a little in size.

Most options appear to be SI clarity but this VS2 might be interesting:
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12379847/round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity

Thank you for all the advice. Does diamond USA provide videos of the diamond prior to purchasing? Would you still consider the diamond I am asking about?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

any diamonds thats around 1ct? Budget around 7k USD. Recommendations would be great as its my first time buying an engagement ring. I heard James Allen diamonds are affordable for this 1ct range?
You should start a new thread for your request, as it will be lost in this thread :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the advice. Does diamond USA provide videos of the diamond prior to purchasing? Would you still consider the diamond I am asking about?
When you say 'diamond USA', do you mean USA Certed Diamonds?
https://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=823961

I think you would have to ask if they had videos (I think the owner is called Martin??) but there may already be some online - if you click 'More' on the search tool results, then click 'View diamond info', it brings up a page that sometimes has links to the grading report and any pictures and videos

In the case of the 2.5ct stone, this is the information page:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/2_5-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-313700#

You can click on the 'Picture' link to bring up a page with visual information - but I cannot see it on this computer (thanks to restrictions at work :rolleyes: )

Your original stone seems to be in the right ball-park in terms of price - there are comparable H SI1 stones for a little bit more in the search listings at the moment:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/PI96py

Your stone has twinning wisps as the grade setting inclusion, though, whereas the stones I've looked at in the list have clouds - both need to be inspected in person to check if they are 'eye clean' and if they cause any issues in strong light, but as I understand it, twinning wisps are the 'best' of the inclusions to have, because they are usually barely visible to the naked eye.

You will have to look at your stone carefully, not just in the store's 'magic lighting' but also near the window or outside, to check there are no negative effects from the twinning wisps (and to check if the stone is bright from edge to edge in all lighting environments).

What are the Returns policies of the store? 100% refund? Or 'Store Credit' :rolleyes: only? 14 days? 30 days?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy the one you originally asked about. You said it scores ovdr 2 on the HCA, which means "reject". That plus the fact that you can find something outstanding with your budget (even if slightly smaller) means I would rule out that one

Chan55

Rough_Rock
When you say 'diamond USA', do you mean USA Certed Diamonds?
https://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=823961

I think you would have to ask if they had videos (I think the owner is called Martin??) but there may already be some online - if you click 'More' on the search tool results, then click 'View diamond info', it brings up a page that sometimes has links to the grading report and any pictures and videos

In the case of the 2.5ct stone, this is the information page:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/round/2_5-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-313700#

You can click on the 'Picture' link to bring up a page with visual information - but I cannot see it on this computer (thanks to restrictions at work :rolleyes: )

Your original stone seems to be in the right ball-park in terms of price - there are comparable H SI1 stones for a little bit more in the search listings at the moment:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/PI96py

Your stone has twinning wisps as the grade setting inclusion, though, whereas the stones I've looked at in the list have clouds - both need to be inspected in person to check if they are 'eye clean' and if they cause any issues in strong light, but as I understand it, twinning wisps are the 'best' of the inclusions to have, because they are usually barely visible to the naked eye.

You will have to look at your stone carefully, not just in the store's 'magic lighting' but also near the window or outside, to check there are no negative effects from the twinning wisps (and to check if the stone is bright from edge to edge in all lighting environments).

What are the Returns policies of the store? 100% refund? Or 'Store Credit' :rolleyes: only? 14 days? 30 days?

I put a deposit down to hold the diamond for 14 days. Return policy is 30 days full amount. I’ve looked at the diamond in person and it is eye clean but I am planning to go back this weekend to look at it again to make sure. But from what everyone is saying it wouldn’t be the ideal cut to have the most fire:(2

Chan55

Rough_Rock
What advice or things I should ask my jeweler to look for if I want a super ideal cut? I do not mind spending the max of $18k if it is a super ideal cut. Thank you for all the help in advance.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put a deposit down to hold the diamond for 14 days. Return policy is 30 days full amount. I’ve looked at the diamond in person and it is eye clean but I am planning to go back this weekend to look at it again to make sure. But from what everyone is saying it wouldn’t be the ideal cut to have the most fire:(2
The fact that you need to put a deposit down to hold the stone is a red flag. I assume the deposit cannot be refunded? I wouldn't buy this one bc I think you can do better.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What advice or things I should ask my jeweler to look for if I want a super ideal cut? I do not mind spending the max of $18k if it is a super ideal cut. Thank you for all the help in advance.
Your jeweler won't be able to source what we consider a super ideal cut. Those are propeiatary cuts belonging to only a select few vendors and they are all in house to those vendors. They include Whiteflash a cut above (ACA), crafted by infinity from high performance diamonds (although depending on where you live some Jewelers can get them. Go on the hp diamonds website and see if anyone near you is on their list), and Brian Gavin signature.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps, posted too soon. If you are in TX, you can visit WF in person.

Buying online is superior to buying from random local Jewelers (except the above) 99% of the time.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The usual PS-recommended ranges are:

Depth 60-62.4%
Table 54-58%
Pavilion Angle 40.6-40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34.0-35.0 degrees (up to 35.5 or maybe even 36.0 with a shallow pavilion angle)

When crown angle decreases, pavilion angle should increase - e.g. 35c/40.6p but 34c/40.9p.

Smaller tables usually create more opportunity for coloured 'fire'.

Higher crown angles usually create more opportunity for coloured fire.

When you're looking at grading reports, shorter Lower Girdle Facets (i.e. 75% from the 75% to 80% that is the PS-recommended range) also usually give more coloured fire.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a super ideal cut could you consider going down to a j color with HPdiamonds? I’m just wondering because I do want to try to hit the 2ct mark if I can.
How are you planning on setting the stone?

Face-up, the superideals are bright white, even down to 'low colours' (even a P, I think!) but from the side view, tint is still visible.

In a halo you can 'hide' the side view :)

Seeing colour is one thing, though - liking or disliking it is another thing!

Chan55

Rough_Rock
I am planning to put it in a solitaire 6 prong setting.

Have you purchase from them before?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from Wink / HPD before - I wouldn't hesitate to buy a CBI from them again :))

I started a thread on the stone/ring a while ago!

Looking at WF, which has a few more SuperIdeal ('A Cut Above') stones in-stock right now...:

1.947ct I VS2 ACA is a pretty unusual size - hard to find stones that are 'just under' the magic whole-carat markers! (They give all of the size but less of the price :) )
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4104633.htm
Inclusions in the table might be a deal-breaker, though.

Another option might be this 1.937ct I VS2 -
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4092512.htm
This looks 'cleaner' to my eyes.

This 1.941ct H SI1 is similar:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4039667.htm
Inclusions are quite scattered, but would need to be assessed to see if they are 'eye-clean'.

(I think I might have just disproved my earlier comment about rarity? LOL :lol: )

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am planning to put it in a solitaire 6 prong setting.

Have you purchase from them before?
Not @OoohShiny but I've purchased from them, as have many people here. There's a whole thread on "show me the bling" dedicated to showing off our CBIs. If you search CBI you'll find it. I would personally have zero hesitstjon going to a J with them, but that's just me.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not @OoohShiny but I've purchased from them, as have many people here. There's a whole thread on "show me the bling" dedicated to showing off our CBIs. If you search CBI you'll find it. I would personally have zero hesitstjon going to a J with them, but that's just me.
Is that like zero hesitation? ;-) lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that like zero hesitation? ;-) lol
I hate my phone so much! It autocorrects to incorrect spelling when I type too fast and it gets confused haha

Chan55

Rough_Rock
If you drop to a J at WF, you get four different options, two of which match your original stone for carat weight :)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4068027,4097135,4068028,4104638

I is usually where most people can definitely see some tint, but whether it bothers you is another thing.

Has the intended recipient of the stone seen different colour grades in real life?

We have looked at different colors in person. She was set on getting DEF but after looking at it in person she was ok with a G/H color. She was able to see the tint of yellow in the I color diamond

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have looked at different colors in person. She was set on getting DEF but after looking at it in person she was ok with a G/H color. She was able to see the tint of yellow in the I color diamond
Ah, ok - if she likes colourless then a J might be a bit of a stretch in a solitaire setting.

Does the H SI stone from WF I posted appeal?

It may be that you will have to sacrifice some size to get to H and upwards.

Chan55

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the advice! CBI diamonds are beautiful and I see that I will be getting what I pay for. Now I have to choose which one. I do still like the original Gia xxx due to the price and size. But now seeing CBI diamonds I’m torn. The one I like is 20k :cry2:... color j si1 2.3 because it’s a CBI diamond I was willing to go down in the color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results