shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a diamond!

Questions_14

Rough_Rock
Long time reader, first time poster and I am hoping you are able to help.

So, I am in the market for an engagement ring for my girlfriend and she loved a setting on Brilliant Earth, so we proceeded to pick a diamond to pair it with. Long story short, found a diamond, placed and paid for the order. A few days pass before receiving an email stating the diamond isn't available and to choose another, which I did, only to be again told after a few days that this diamond was also not available. Needless to say I am fed up with Brilliant Earth (together woth their tactics of trying to sell me substandard diamonds as a replacement).

I have demanded a refund and will now look at getting the diamond from the US and set here in Australia.

So, my question to you is, can you help in choosing an amazing diamond in the 0.6-0.8ct range for around 6k AUD. Was hoping for F-D and VS1 or above but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that is $4316 in USD. I am going to look at F-G VS1-VS2. Ideal cut stones are going to face up very white. The problem you encountered is that Brilliant Earth and many other vendors just list mostly stones they do not own. There are virtual listings from diamond suppliers or cutters and the same stones are listed on many sites and accessible to many jewelers. So when they call to try to get the stone, they find out that the stone has been sold. Therefore, I am looking at vendors that have their stones in-house and have selected great stones for their inventory.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the setting she loved?

Also why such high color and clarity? Cultural reasons or inexperienced?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Okay, that is $4316 in USD. I am going to look at F-G VS1-VS2. Ideal cut stones are going to face up very white. The problem you encountered is that Brilliant Earth and many other vendors just list mostly stones they do not own. There are virtual listings from diamond suppliers or cutters and the same stones are listed on many sites and accessible to many jewelers. So when they call to try to get the stone, they find out that the stone has been sold. Therefore, I am looking at vendors that have their stones in-house and have selected great stones for their inventory.
That's actually only 4140 USD. That's what you'll realistically get paying from a credit card.

Also depending that 6k AUD budget is including or excluding GST it can be either 4140 or 3763.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I know is that I put in $6k, which is the number he told me, and the computer calculated:

6000 Australian Dollar equals
4315.56 US Dollar

So if he wants to change the numbers, I'll look in a different price range. All the stones I posted have a credit card price listed.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
All I know is that I put in $6k, which is the number he told me, and the computer calculated:

6000 Australian Dollar equals
4315.56 US Dollar

So if he wants to change the numbers, I'll look in a different price range. All the stones I posted have a credit card price listed.
Sorry the post appeared to be directed at you. You do a wonderful job helping the consumers. Respects for the effort that you put in without a dime in rewards for your efforts. And it's obviously not your problem if the computer doesn't tell you the real world conversion rates.

I was just trying to present all the facts for the OP what he should be realistically expect in terms of costs. Regards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Questions_14

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1464653223|4038301 said:
Can you post the setting she loved?

Also why such high color and clarity? Cultural reasons or inexperienced?

Attached is an image of the setting. I know the value is in lower color/clarity but was wanting to give her the nicest/best diamond possible. Fully open to all your ideas and suggestions though. I am not interested in getting the biggest diamond possible, as long as it is above 0.6ct.

Thanks for your suggestions and help so far!

2016-05-30_14.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so, what is best differs from person to person.

You will not be able to distinguish a G Vs2 from a F IF, even side by side. And your lady won't be wearing a lab report on her hand.

We aren't trying to get you the biggest stone. If we were we'd be suggesting a full carat J or K.

All we are trying to do is get you a well balanced stone that maximizes what you CAN see, over what you can't.

That makes sense right? If you can't see it, why pay for it?

This would be the stone I would advise you to get:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3365314.htm It will give you a 6mm center stone that will be dazzlingly white and clean.

It looks like your lady wants a graduated pave four prong solitaire with milgrain (the bumpy metal detail on the either side of the diamonds is called milgrain). Lovely setting style.

It is smart to hit 5.8-6mm in an engagement ring with your budget. So that is what I would advise you to make your goal. And honestly you are going to get the value setting here in the US. I've been to Australia many times and the jewelry quality is underwelming for the most part to say the least.

See if your lady likes this. Whiteflash can easily add milgrain to the edges of the shank like the setting you both liked previously.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

Alternately, WF can order this e for you and set it with their superior diamonds in a graduated pave just like the setting your lady wanted. And they can add milgrain to it. It will look exactly the way she wants. And it would be VERY affordable.

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122866/?groupId=192489#/mounting-options (scroll through the pictures and you will see it set with diamonds. WF will finish it perfectly for you, especially if you show them the inspiration ring, okay?).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the legato from WF with milgrain added, see if this suits her.

_268.jpg
wf2_0.jpg
legato1.jpg
wf3.jpg

:wavey:

Questions_14

Rough_Rock
Again, thanks so much for the suggestions, feel free to keep them coming.

In terms of WF, are their custom rings cast? Was hoping to go with a handmade setting for a similar price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results