Help Me Choose!

• Original DK Design

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Trellis / WF Butterflies Inspired Design

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone! I have a suite of 3 stones on their way to me from Ritani, and I plan on having DK create a 3 stone RHR for me.

Once upon a time, I worked with him for weeks perfecting a design that I poured over and put my heart and soul into. See my post history for that mess. Well, life happened and I never had it made. Since then I’ve gotten divorced, moved halfway across the country, and unexpectedly met an amazing man that adores me and my daughter. I’ll be turning 40 soon, and I figured what better way to treat myself and symbolize a new beginning, than to gift myself a past, present, future ring. The other part of me doesn’t want to necessarily be reminded of that past chapter of my life even though I’ve never been a superstitious person. I still love the design and tend to think it’s kind of a power move to just buy it for myself.

The stone sizes are much smaller than I originally anticipated when designing the ring. I’ve come to the realization that bigger is not always better and I’ve been drawn to more understated carat weights. The diamonds I’ll be using are .33/.77/.33 and since I’ll likely be using a 1ct center stone for my engagement ring, should that time come, I didn’t want the RHR to overshadow it in any way. Having said that, I’m worried my original design won’t translate well with the changes, and it will lack the open and airy look I’m going for. I want to allow light in, and I don’t want the details of the gallery to get lost. I asked DK for his opinion between two designs and I’m waiting to hear back.

I say all this to say…what advice and input can any experts give on either design? Maybe point out something I’m not thinking of, or just weighing in with an opinion as to one vs the other. Here’s the IG links for both; one belonged to a PSer and I believe has changed hands a couple times since then. If relevant, the setting will be yellow gold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BurL0xil6fY/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiAwABeFEJ3/

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think the past should always be a reminder of how you've survived and thrived to get to the present and be ready for the future so go with it!

The rings are fairly simple from the face up so I like having some detailing on the sides/shank/basket so I voted for the trellis. Just lovely to look at while typing or other actions.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Both are beautiful and very similar top view but I think I prefer the petal/floral basket design just a tad more. Cant wait to see which you will decide on and the finish ring!! Such a fun project!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone has a substantial amount of extra time, here’s the original thread where I create the first 3 stone:

You can see how involved the process was, and then it was made for someone else, and now Moissanite Co is offering it as one of their stock settings. So it holds a little bit of value to me. This might help explain why I’m so torn between having it done vs the trellis. It’s a LONG thread though. You’ve been warned.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think the past should always be a reminder of how you've survived and thrived to get to the present and be ready for the future so go with it!

The rings are fairly simple from the face up so I like having some detailing on the sides/shank/basket so I voted for the trellis. Just lovely to look at while typing or other actions.

I tend to agree! I’ve definitely survived and come out the other side stronger. And far happier!

They are quite similar from the top view. I’m curious to see what opinion DK has. I’m with you though, the gallery of a ring is my favorite part!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Both are beautiful and very similar top view but I think I prefer the petal/floral basket design just a tad more. Cant wait to see which you will decide on and the finish ring!! Such a fun project!

Thank you for your input! It will be fun to FINALLY have a custom piece. I love the design process!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!! Enjoy the process of designing your perfect piece, don't rush the journey and don't stress out. You are in good hands!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the feelings involved in the original design and the potential loss of the airy look, I picked the trellis design, but perhaps you could modify it to make it uniquely yours.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
With the feelings involved in the original design and the potential loss of the airy look, I picked the trellis design, but perhaps you could modify it to make it uniquely yours.

I considered some sort of redesign but I’m not sure how I’d go about that. Any suggestions?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I'm bumping because the poll is split right down the middle. :lol:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I still love that original design. You worked so hard on it. It depends on how you feel mentally about it? I think it should be a reminder of how far you have come vs anything it may represent from the past. It never did stand as your engagement ring from that time.

I know you would love to have it made. That only works if you can separate any bad feelings there maybe when you look at it on your finger. Not everyone can do that so it is a hard question to answer for you.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I still love that original design. You worked so hard on it. It depends on how you feel mentally about it? I think it should be a reminder of how far you have come vs anything it may represent from the past. It never did stand as your engagement ring from that time.

I know you would love to have it made. That only works if you can separate any bad feelings there maybe when you look at it on your finger. Not everyone can do that so it is a hard question to answer for you.

Hey! Thanks for weighing in. I know you’ve been there since day ONE with all of my threads and unfinished projects and crazy brainstorms.

You’re right, I do love it and I’ve worked so hard on perfecting it. I think I can separate my feelings and I agree that it’s kind of awesome for me to just buy it for myself. It’s not like my ex husband helped me design it or gave me any input or helped with it in any way. At the time this process was an escape for me so I poured into it instead of focusing on all the chaos around me. Sad, but true. I emailed David last week and haven’t heard back, so the deciding factor may be what his opinion is on the openness of the basket. The original CAD was 5mm/7mm/5mm and the one that he made for another client was even larger. Mine will be much smaller at approximately 4.5mm/6mm/4.5mm. Do you think that’s too small to keep the integrity of the gallery design?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results