shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Choose Side Stones w/ Marquise Center!

Which side diamonds do you prefer with a marquise center stone?

• Kites

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Elongated Epaulettes

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

cbnf90

Rough_Rock
I am dreaming up ways to reset an inherited vintage 1.36ct marquise (on the moval-ish side) diamond. I am thinking a faux milgrain bezel with claw prongs around the center stone, just claw prongs around the side stones, and all in yellow gold. Mixing antique and modern styles.

I love both of these ideas, and I know it's ultimately up to me and what I love, but thought it would be fun to throw it out there to some other diamond/jewelry lovers to hear your opinions as well!

Here are some inspiration images I have saved-

Kites:
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 4.44.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 9.06.56 PM.png

Epaulettes (These might actually be Cadillacs, but gives you the idea):
IMG_2495.jpg
IMG_2492.PNG

Elongated epaulettes: https://www.dayagidiamonds.com/pairs/dbpw-005158

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I think the kites are gorgeous!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the shape of the centre stone, as in whether it is long and skinny, or short and rounded, if you know what I mean.

I have pears in my vision.

DK :))

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I also thought of pears first, mirroring the round edges and points in both shapes. Second choice would be the kites (as they mimic a pear shape, just with straight lines)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the kites...the Epaulettes sort of change the shape of the center stone. I guess it depends on the ratio of the marquise.
If its tall and skinny then I would probably do epaulettes to give it more width. If its a more "normal" ratio I would probably do
the kites that allow the marquise to stand on its own. YMMV

cbnf90

Rough_Rock
Adding photos of the diamond in it's old setting- it is 12.13x6.34 and I am a size 4.25 ring finger.
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.38.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.28.30 PM.png

cbnf90

Rough_Rock
I like the kites...the Epaulettes sort of change the shape of the center stone. I guess it depends on the ratio of the marquise.
If its tall and skinny then I would probably do epaulettes to give it more width. If its a more "normal" ratio I would probably do
the kites that allow the marquise to stand on its own. YMMV

I also thought of pears first, mirroring the round edges and points in both shapes. Second choice would be the kites (as they mimic a pear shape, just with straight lines)

It depends on the shape of the centre stone, as in whether it is long and skinny, or short and rounded, if you know what I mean.

I have pears in my vision.

DK :))

True! I just added a couple shots of my diamond and the measurements.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty stone! I think the epaulettes will give you a different overall shape than what you have now - so if that's what you're going for, that's my vote.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Adding photos of the diamond in it's old setting- it is 12.13x6.34 and I am a size 4.25 ring finger.
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.38.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 5.28.30 PM.png

Oh my gosh I actually love the setting as is! If you are going to reset it, I would think epaulettes or cadillacs would be the best option to get a different (more finger coverage?) look for the setting.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the setting it is in now too. From your two options, I think I like the kites better. To me, the shape of your finger would come into play and whether you needed the extra width that the cadillacs would give you, which from the photo of the original ring, doesn't look like it would be an issue for you.

Last edited:

cbnf90

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh I actually love the setting as is! If you are going to reset it, I would think epaulettes or cadillacs would be the best option to get a different (more finger coverage?) look for the setting.

I like the setting it is in now too.

Well the current setting is platinum and the band is probably 1.2mm thick..maybe even thinner. It is very, very, very dainty and thin. I am WAY to rough on my hands, and the current setting also doesn't allow for me to wear my wedding bands.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Well the current setting is platinum and the band is probably 1.2mm thick..maybe even thinner. It is very, very, very dainty and thin. I am WAY to rough on my hands, and the current setting also doesn't allow for me to wear my wedding bands.

Oh that makes sense. FWIW, I am also very rough on my hands and never take rings off and my 1.2 mm gold pave band is still in great condition. But definitely understand that the setting doesn't allow for your current bands.

The baguettes are so classic, but also if you'd like more finger coverage, you have some great options! It's a beautiful stone and love how unique it is.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like the setting it is in now too. From your two options, I think I like the kites better. To me, the shape of your finger would come into play and whether you needed the extra width that the cadillacs would give you, which from the photo of the original ring, doesn't look like it would be an issue for you.

Exactly the same thoughts.

cbnf90

Rough_Rock
Oh that makes sense. FWIW, I am also very rough on my hands and never take rings off and my 1.2 mm gold pave band is still in great condition. But definitely understand that the setting doesn't allow for your current bands.

The baguettes are so classic, but also if you'd like more finger coverage, you have some great options! It's a beautiful stone and love how unique it is.

Thank you for the kind words about the stone! I am going to use it as an upgrade to my current engagement ring- a .99 MRB in a cathedral pave setting...pretty, but I am definitely excited for something more unique and feels more like 'me'! :).

cbnf90

Rough_Rock
Kites are in the lead and I am starting to lean more towards Kites myself...it's kind of like a modern twist on the current classic baguette setting.
I also saw this oval/bullet ring while lurking through the archived threads (sorry, I forgot the username of the owner!) and LOVE it and feel the marquise/kites will be reminiscent...

IMG_1432.jpeg

Thanks all for the input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results