shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Chipped 2 ct diamond.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hello there

I am just beside myself - I was cleaning my beautiful 2 carat princess diamond engagement ring last night when I noticed a HUGE chip on the surface near the top right hand corner - the ring is a bezel setting in white gold. There is no damage to the bezel setting nor the corner, just a missing chunk near the corner.................

I just dont know what to do - the ring is a replacement as I lost my original engagement ring before xmas and I have only had this one for 2 months and paid a small fortune.......

Its Sunday today so I cannot ring the jeweller where I purchased the ring. I do have it insured for the replacement value against theft and accidental damage.

Why has this happened?? I have knocked it a few times but no where near hard. I am sooooo upset considering we upgraded to this ring and its cost us alot of money.

Any advice much appreciated please
33.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
that would be a typical place for a princess to chip and it doesn't take a hard hit if it is struck at the right angle.
It might be just bad luck.

It sometimes happens when it is set also but in a bezel that isn't likely.

JasonFaber

Rough_Rock
Insurance usually pays for something like this under (accidental damage), all depending how your insurance is rated.... You should be fine.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:19:52 AM
Author:bugaboo
Hello there

Why has this happened?? I have knocked it a few times but no where near hard. I am sooooo upset considering we upgraded to this ring and its cost us alot of money.
Unfortunately, you easily could have done this damage yourself. It's a HUGE chip and you've never noticed it before? I don't see that upgrading or spending a lot of money have anything to do with it. Good luck with the insurance company.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 3:20:51 AM
Author: Imdanny

Date: 3/15/2009 12:19:52 AM
Author:bugaboo
Hello there

Unfortunately, you easily could have done this damage yourself. It''s a HUGE chip and you''ve never noticed it before? I don''t see that upgrading or spending a lot of money have anything to do with it. Good luck with the insurance company.
To be fair Imdanny, I don''t think the OP is saying that upgrading or spending alot of money have anything to do with anything - they are simply giving us some background info, and explaining why they are upset (understandably).

Bugaboo, I''m very sorry to hear of your ring, but unfortunately as Strm mentioned this is not uncommon with princess cuts..
7.gif
Perhaps this time when you go to replace, you could consider a different shape of diamond? (just a suggestion)..
If you are insured against accidental damage, you should have no problems getting another replacement - but I do understand that is not the point. I hope your diamond luck improves soon!
It seems a lil odd that this happened in a bezel though - is it a full bezel?

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Imdanny - I dont understand what you are getting at????? I look at my beautiful ring about a hundred times a day because I love it so much. I never noticed the chip until I was cleaning it, as you need to look at it about 15 cm away from the eye to see the chip. Normally I look at it at arms length. Obvioulsy I didnt see it earlier because I wasnt inspecting it close up, and as its a great color and clarity, it sparkles so much , so the chip is only seen close up.

As for costing alot of money - we upgraded from the original engagement ring I lost, so we are over $10K out of pocket plus the money we paid for the original ring (more thousands..). So yes, it has cost alot of money, as its OVER 2 carats........I am just so upset that it has chipped so easily.

I have knocked my previous engagement ring millions of times on furniture, kids toys etc in the past 10 years or so and never had any damage....so I am very upset that I cant even recall heavily hitting this stone against anything the last few days.

I clean my ring and inspect it about twice a week, so it has only happened the last few days....

Anyhow, thankyou all for the input, its appreciated
8.gif

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hi Arjunajane

Thankyou for your post.

I dint know that its common for princesses to chip more so than other shapes. I did think the corners could, but not the top surface. I will definetly consider another shape like a round if I can.

Yes, the diamond is a full bezel set.

Thanks again for your concern.
26.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 4:49:49 AM
Author: bugaboo
Hi Arjunajane

Thankyou for your post.

I dint know that its common for princesses to chip more so than other shapes. I did think the corners could, but not the top surface. I will definetly consider another shape like a round if I can.

Yes, the diamond is a full bezel set.

Thanks again for your concern.
26.gif
You''re welcome - unfortunately, even though diamonds are the hardest substance, they also have perfect cleavage - which means if you hit it just right (even if its not that hard), things like this can happen
40.gif

My shape idea was only a suggestion - if you love love princesses, I would still get a princess. Definately rounds are a bit safer. However there are also a number of other square shapes without the delicate corners you could consider too - have a look at the Princess of Hearts at Good Old Gold.com for example - I owned one for a lil while, they are awesome cuts!

Does the diamond have a certificate, and what clarity grade if I may ask ? (if you don''t mind)..
Either way, I wish you luck with your insurance claim, and pls stick around if you want help to find a new great stone !
5.gif

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hi again!

the certificate is GIA and the clarity VS1.......a gorgous stone, I love it!

I will keep you posted about what happens, thankyou!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:38:03 AM
Hi again!

the certificate is GIA and the clarity VS1.......a gorgous stone, I love it!

I will keep you posted about what happens, thankyou!!!
ok thanks for the reply. I was thinking it may have been a problem with an inclusion, but doubt it with a GIA Vs1.
And just a pointer for future - colour and clarity aren''t what actually make a diamond perform, its the CUT quality
1.gif

Pls do update
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 12:41:51 AM
Author: strmrdr
that would be a typical place for a princess to chip and it doesn''t take a hard hit if it is struck at the right angle.
It might be just bad luck.

It sometimes happens when it is set also but in a bezel that isn''t likely.
Ditto - I am so sorry to hear this. But the good news is you are insured, please keep us posted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry about your diamond. Others have given excellent explaination about cleavage points, hardness and etc. Have you contacted your insurance company to ask if it covers accidental damage?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Call your insurer. Twice in two months is certainly some bad luck but bad luck happens. This possibility is what you’ve been paying them for. You can expect some raised eyebrows at the claims department and probably a few more questions this time around but if it's covered it's covered, without regard to how long the policy has been in force or how long it's been since your previous claim.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Hi again

I am expecting the insurance company to want to "shoot me"!!!!!!
6.gif

I called them and they asked I call the jeweller first and see what they will do about it. The person I spoke to was of the opinion that a diamond should never break...but clearly after speaking to you guys (who obviously have ALOT more knowledge and alot more than me!) this is actually possible. I do have accidental damage - and they can investigate all they like, I have the diamond to show them. I dont blame them for doubting me though - twice in a few months is sooooo unheard of and just unbelieavable. Can such bad luck exist?

I told my husband that obviously I am NOT meant to have a diamond ring. Apart from the fact I love diamonds!

So I will call the jeweller today when it opens, then the insurer, then I will update you all............

Thankyou again for the input.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am incredibly relieved that your insurance will cover it; this is what it''s meant for so don''t feel bad about it.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
The insurance I pay for is listed as a specified item. It costs nearly twice as much as my car which cost 3 times to purchase!!! i am sure they will hike it up x 1000 times after all this
6.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe. And maybe they’ll cancel your policy (after they pay). That’s certainly their call and if they feel you’re an undue risk they’re entirely reasonable in doing so. They’ve got competitors and you may need to do some shopping, but if you don’t feel you can file a valid claim for fear that the rates will change, what’s the point of having the insurance in the first place?

Most jewelers don’t have a warranty that includes this sort of thing but some do. Definitely ask. If you bought it using a credit card, some of the CC companies also have extended warranty type programs that may cover it.

3x your car insurance is awfully expensive jewelry insurance unless you've got a really expensive ring paired with a cheap car or some really wild variations in coverages and deductibles. Are you sure about these numbers?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 4:16:54 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Maybe. And maybe they’ll cancel your policy (after they pay). That’s certainly their call and if they feel you’re an undue risk they’re entirely reasonable in doing so. They’ve got competitors and you may need to do some shopping, but if you don’t feel you can file a valid claim for fear that the rates will change, what’s the point of having the insurance in the first place?

Most jewelers don’t have a warranty that includes this sort of thing but some do. Definitely ask. If you bought it using a credit card, some of the CC companies also have extended warranty type programs that may cover it.

3x your car insurance is awfully expensive jewelry insurance unless you''ve got a really expensive ring paired with a cheap car or some really wild variations in coverages and deductibles. Are you sure about these numbers?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Ditto Neil on all accounts - something just doesn''t sound right here! Am I misunderstanding something maybe???

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
hello

Yes, the insurance is very high, I am not in the US though so things are obviously different here in Oz. I dont blame the insurer if they ask me to find another insurer as this has been very costly. I guess as the end of the day I have paid premiums on house, cars, jewellery, travel for such unfortunate events over a number of years and never had a claim until now.

I called the jeweller he has been fantastic so far, rang the insurer, they have been wonderful - the stone will be replaced, and I get to be involved on chossing a new one which is what I wanted so I dont get a lesser valued stone.

Thankyou for all your ''mostly positive'' comments.

mjlover

Rough_Rock
If you''re in australia like me, you should insure it through chubb insurance who have a specific diamond insurance ... we paid $350 for my 1.01 carat ... not much ... and its worldwide.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 4:40:41 AM
Imdanny - I dont understand what you are getting at????? I look at my beautiful ring about a hundred times a day because I love it so much. I never noticed the chip until I was cleaning it, as you need to look at it about 15 cm away from the eye to see the chip. Normally I look at it at arms length. Obvioulsy I didnt see it earlier because I wasnt inspecting it close up, and as its a great color and clarity, it sparkles so much , so the chip is only seen close up.

As for costing alot of money - we upgraded from the original engagement ring I lost, so we are over $10K out of pocket plus the money we paid for the original ring (more thousands..). So yes, it has cost alot of money, as its OVER 2 carats........I am just so upset that it has chipped so easily.

I have knocked my previous engagement ring millions of times on furniture, kids toys etc in the past 10 years or so and never had any damage....so I am very upset that I cant even recall heavily hitting this stone against anything the last few days.

I clean my ring and inspect it about twice a week, so it has only happened the last few days....

Anyhow, thankyou all for the input, its appreciated
8.gif
I'm not getting at anything! I have no point! I'm terrible!
38.gif

Of course you are upset. Who wouldn't be. Please accept my most humble apology for speaking out loud when I should have thought more first and my best wishes.
35.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Bugaboo so sorry your going through all this. It''s probably just some bad luck. Remember this is why we all spend alot of money on insurance. Please come back and show us your new diamond
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 5:29:44 AM
Author: mjlover
If you're in australia like me, you should insure it through chubb insurance who have a specific diamond insurance ... we paid $350 for my 1.01 carat ... not much ... and its worldwide.

Hrmmm I am pretty sure Chubb has a 25k minimum and that is what my ring is insured for and it is a lot more then $350, can I ask how your quote was so decent?

ETA: Bugaboo good luck :), glad the insurance company is helping you out :D.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 7:10:19 AM
Author: Deelight

Date: 3/16/2009 5:29:44 AM
Author: mjlover
If you''re in australia like me, you should insure it through chubb insurance who have a specific diamond insurance ... we paid $350 for my 1.01 carat ... not much ... and its worldwide.

Hrmmm I am pretty sure Chubb has a 25k minimum and that is what my ring is insured for and it is a lot more then $350, can I ask how your quote was so decent?

ETA: Bugaboo good luck :), glad the insurance company is helping you out :D.
I agree with Dee - all of the Chibb agents I spoke to said min. 25k for their stand alone jewellery policy - plus most of them said
they also want you to hold homeowners with them
14.gif

What city are you in mjlover (or state if you prefer?)..

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
An update.....I received a cash payout so now the search is on for a new stone!!!

Thankyou kindly for all the advice
2.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s wonderful news! Are you going to get another princess cut stone?

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
hi there

I am hesitent in getting another princess....................what are your thoughts???

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have had some really bad luck but that''s why we have insurance. There is no guarantee that any stone won''t chip so you might as well get what you truly love!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results