shape
carat
color
clarity

Help...carbon in my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ido

Rough_Rock
I have had my engaement ring for about a month and a half and the other day, I noticed an obvious piece of carbon in it. I know that it couldn''t have been there before because God knows I''ve been staring at it enough. My fiance looked at it with a magnifying glass before he bought it and didn''t see any carbon in it. This carbon is not something that you even need a magnifying glass to see. It''s very obvious to the naked eye. I''m wondering if it''s possible for carbon to just show up or if something I did could''ve made it show up. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried to go to a jeweler and have it cleaned out with steam...I say this because my diamond was so white looking against other stones I thought WOW, it's not terribly sparkly, but it's WHITE...Yeah, that was filmy residue, and the jeweler laughed, cleaned it off, and it got DARKER, but MAN what a sparkle when it's clean!

It could be a slight chip. Hopefully not, though. get it steamed and then examined if you can. I don't think they will charge you for that. See what the pros say...Good luck!

Cookiedough

Rough_Rock
Were you wearing something dark when you noticed it? It is probably just a dark reflection from your clothing.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
it's probably just dirt. scrub it with a toothbrush, and if it's still there, take it back to the jeweler and have him toss it in his ultrasonic cleaner.

Ido

Rough_Rock
Thanks to the replies and advice so far, but I have had it steamed and the mark is still there. It isn't as noticeable, but it's still visible to the naked eye. They are even talking about possibly replacing the diamond. I hate to do that though because I love the fact that my fiancee picked it out on his own. It's a beautiful cut and very sparkly too. I just want that spot out!

jhuh

Rough_Rock
You are not the only one with this problem.

Like you I know the spot was not there when my finacee gave it to me, because I stared at it all the time too, and now the spot is very obvious. Besides that my fiancee looked at it with the jeweler when he bought it and did not see the spot.

He has since taken it back to a (different) jeweler who has told him that it is a carbon spot in the ring. We talked about replacing the stone, but I would prefer not to do that, is there anyway to make the spot look less visable??

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I have just noticed the same thing on the diamond in my engagement ring that I am positive was not there before I saw it last night. It is a tiny black dot with a thin, tiny line coming off of it located at the top. It does not look like it is in the diamond, just on the surface. I guess it''s carbon now that I am reading what everyone else is dealing with. My fiance and I got engaged October 1, 2005. My diamond is a 1.13 carat round, Eighternity diamond, G in color, SI2 clarity, but eye clean, set in a 14 carat white gold unique setting. It came with a GIA cert showing that the inclusions are at the bottom of the diamond and honestly cannot be seen even through a 10 x loop. The "birth" of the diamond was in 2004. It also came with a Gemex cert, 10 x loop, and a scope to be able to view the 81 perfect facets. It''s absolutely gorgeous and I am sick over the fact of seeing this thing on the top of it! I just purchased the Salton Jewelry Spa about a week or so ago which allows you to clean jewelry in both a chemical bath without vibration (which I only used once) and with a steamer just like the professionals. I have been EXTREMELY careful with it since I got it to a point of putting it back into its original box when I shower, apply makeup, or do my hair. I also take it off every time I wash my hands or do the dishes and have not hit it on anything to damage it. With the loop, everything still looks symmetrical and smooth so I do not believe it is chipped. My fiance doesn''t know about this yet, so before I upset him also, I would like to see what everyone else can tell me about this. Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance!
7.gif
33.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,

From a materials point of view, there is no way the ring on your finger subjected to normal temperatures (temperatures that wouldn''t kill you first) could develop carbon spots. It''s just not thermodynamically possible. A possible explanation (just a conjecture) is that the were microcracks that were unstable (clouds, feathers, etc.) which have grown due to wear and tear and are now visible to the naked eye. Not trying to be a pain, but maybe just shedding some light on the subject in case some of you are getting a crazy look from fiancee''s and jewelers about carbon spots "appearing" in your diamond.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to sound dumb, but did you get pen on it? That happened to me, I got some black ink on a ruby but it came off after a few days.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
hehe..the pen thing is so cute sweetpea!

I was just thinking...for the other people...maybe it''s a shadow from a slightly bent prong or a shadow you didn''t notice before?

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
You know...the pen thing did cross my mind and I thought that would be a crazy thought as well, but it may very well be. I can tell you...since I cleaned it today with steam only, it is not as dark as it was. It is definitely not a bent prong or anything like that especially with how careful I am with it and it was not something that I ever saw before. I feel a little better about it now. I can tell you that it was purchased at a very reputable jeweler, so there was nothing wrongly done on that end. Thanks to all for your thoughts...I will keep you posted.
emsmile.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Didn't BBB have a big black spot "appear" which almost resulted in her returning her magnificent cushion?

Read resolution (the important to read part) it sounds very similar to what's happened to you.
Try the needle trick. Sometimes it takes something sharp to get it off.

Scintillating...

BBB's ring
I love Ally's comment: "I need one of those to make my life complete. It's incredible!"

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Tom''sWife, as it has been said before, carbon is not going to suddenly appear in the diamond. Chances are that if it is an inclusion, it was always there and you never noticed it until now. When diamonds get dirty, often their inclusions are much easier to see. So if you noticed the inclusion when the diamond was dirty, now you know exactly where to look to find it even when the diamond is clean.

As people have mentioned, there are dozens of possibilities besides for it being an inclusion. Do you have a loupe to check out the "black spot?" It is probably dirt or something that is just really attached to your diamond
2.gif

If you are concerned take it down to the jewelers. They can put it in the ultrasonic and then steam it. Then take a look and see if it is still there
1.gif

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 7:33:03 PM
Author: Rascal49
Tom''sWife, as it has been said before, carbon is not going to suddenly appear in the diamond. Chances are that if it is an inclusion, it was always there and you never noticed it until now. When diamonds get dirty, often their inclusions are much easier to see. So if you noticed the inclusion when the diamond was dirty, now you know exactly where to look to find it even when the diamond is clean.

As people have mentioned, there are dozens of possibilities besides for it being an inclusion. Do you have a loupe to check out the ''black spot?'' It is probably dirt or something that is just really attached to your diamond
2.gif

If you are concerned take it down to the jewelers. They can put it in the ultrasonic and then steam it. Then take a look and see if it is still there
1.gif
Hello Rascal49...I can tell you that it is definitely not an inclusion. The inclusions in my diamond are near the point and are not able to be seen by the naked eye nor by 10x magnification. These diamonds come with a 10x loop for identity and security purposes so that the GIA certification number for each diamond that is micro-engraved along the edge of the girdle and the Eighternity logo can be seen. This "spot" was not there before last night. When I looked at it last night and today using the loop, it just appears to be a tiny black spec. I agree with you that it may just be something that somehow attached itself to the surface as was said before, possibly pen ink. I even tried to remove it with a stick pin and it didn''t budge. I have used the professional cleaner that I have at home that uses the chemical bath and steam just like the jewelers and it has not come off yet. It''s just very concerning when something appears that doesn''t just wipe off of your diamond and is noticeable by the naked eye. Especially after my fiance spent a great deal of time hand picking out a diamond that is eye clean and I have really done everything to take excellent care of it. I will keep you posted after I speak to the jeweler to see what is going on. Thanks for your thoughts and input!
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 11:35:53 PM
Author: tomswife2007

Date: 12/16/2005 7:33:03 PM

As people have mentioned, there are dozens of possibilities besides for it being an inclusion. Do you have a loupe to check out the ''black spot?'' It is probably dirt or something that is just really attached to your diamond
2.gif

1.gif
Hello Rascal49...I can tell you that it is definitely not an inclusion. The inclusions in my diamond are near the point and are not able to be seen by the naked eye nor by 10x magnification. These diamonds come with a 10x loop for identity and security purposes so that the GIA certification number for each diamond that is micro-engraved along the edge of the girdle and the Eighternity logo can be seen. This ''spot'' was not there before last night. When I looked at it last night and today using the loop, it just appears to be a tiny black spec. I agree with you that it may just be something that somehow attached itself to the surface as was said before, possibly pen ink. I even tried to remove it with a stick pin and it didn''t budge. I have used the professional cleaner that I have at home that uses the chemical bath and steam just like the jewelers and it has not come off yet. It''s just very concerning when something appears that doesn''t just wipe off of your diamond and is noticeable by the naked eye. Especially after my fiance spent a great deal of time hand picking out a diamond that is eye clean and I have really done everything to take excellent care of it. I will keep you posted after I speak to the jeweler to see what is going on. Thanks for your thoughts and input!
1.gif
Wel thenl I''m glad it''s not an inclusion!

Yes, please let us know what the jeweler says! I''m sure it''s nothing a good ultrasonic "bath" and a good steaming can''t get rid of
3.gif

Oh, and one more question. Is this black spec next to a prong? Because my prongs tend to "collect" dirt and only by using my ultrasonic cleaner was the dirt removed. Just another thought!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just take it into the jeweler and have them steam clean it and inspect it...you''d be amazed at what your imagination can conjur up when left to run free and unchecked (aka carbon developing ON the stone)... hee hee...

That said, with my old stone/ring, I was scrubbing the junction of the diamond head (inside) with a brush that was leaving small metal scratches. Well those started magnifying into my stone somehow and it looked like the stone had scratches all over it at certain angles and light views. I was sooo worried, I posted about it in the past. Cleaned the heck out of it, this and that, well finally it dawned on me that it may be that I was scratching the platinum of the inside of the bottom of the head junction and it was reflecting back into the diamond.

Of course common sense tells you that you can''t just get a bunch of clear scratches on your diamond but in your heart you are just worried. So take it to the jeweler and have them clean it thoroughly and tell us what you find out!

I have a tiny black spec in my stone and I actually like it. It''s sooo tiny that only I can see it and it''s usually obscured by the blinding sparkle of the stone in general, but I like knowing it''s there so I can identify my stone.
2.gif
It''s kind of fun...esp since I do not have the best eyes and in my last 2 stones couldn''t see a darn thing even under 10x mag, I was always just a little disappointed.

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 3:05:50 AM
Author: Mara
Just take it into the jeweler and have them steam clean it and inspect it...you''d be amazed at what your imagination can conjur up when left to run free and unchecked (aka carbon developing ON the stone)... hee hee...

That said, with my old stone/ring, I was scrubbing the junction of the diamond head (inside) with a brush that was leaving small metal scratches. Well those started magnifying into my stone somehow and it looked like the stone had scratches all over it at certain angles and light views. I was sooo worried, I posted about it in the past. Cleaned the heck out of it, this and that, well finally it dawned on me that it may be that I was scratching the platinum of the inside of the bottom of the head junction and it was reflecting back into the diamond.

Of course common sense tells you that you can''t just get a bunch of clear scratches on your diamond but in your heart you are just worried. So take it to the jeweler and have them clean it thoroughly and tell us what you find out!

I have a tiny black spec in my stone and I actually like it. It''s sooo tiny that only I can see it and it''s usually obscured by the blinding sparkle of the stone in general, but I like knowing it''s there so I can identify my stone.
2.gif
It''s kind of fun...esp since I do not have the best eyes and in my last 2 stones couldn''t see a darn thing even under 10x mag, I was always just a little disappointed.
Well...I finally told my fiance and we went to the jeweler tonight. The conclusion is that it is "a characteristic unique to the stone" which means it is an inclusion. It is soooooooo minute that both he and the jeweler were unable to see it with the naked eye. I guess because I have had it now for about 2 months and I keep it very clean, I now know every aspect of the stone. You are sooooooo right, Mara...it is soooooo tiny unless you are examining the stone, it cannot be seen because the sparkle is blinding!

The only thing that is disappointing is that my fiance was not only told that it was eye clean, the 3 small inclusions that are marked out on the GIA cert are shown on the bottom view only, around the point which can only be seen when the stone is loose and only with a loupe.

As far as I am concerned...my fiance loves me very much and he picked this diamond out because of how beautiful it was. I am by no means perfect...none of us are. So just because there may be a tiny inclusion on my diamond visible if very closely examined...which how often is that really done, it is truly a beautiful stone and like me is not perfect. So I agree that it is a "characteristic of my stone" that makes it unique like he feels I am.
4.gif
I will send pics when I am able to figure the whole file size dilemma out...Thanks for all of your help in this forum! And thank you, Mara, for your thoughts...I feel truly enlightened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think of it as a beauty mark. Something that will always let you identify your beautiful stone. No diamond is perfect. Even those that are IF have flaws. I look forward to seeing your gorgeous ring!!!
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
First of all, you can only see this inclusion because you have been staring at it for over two months! LOL

Second of all, I wouldn''t be upset about your fiance believing the diamond was "eye clean" because that term is soooo subjective. And from what you have said, both the jeweler and your fiance did not see the inclusion before, so technically to them, it was eye clean
2.gif

Finally, I really like having some small inclusion in my diamond because it makes it easy to identify if I need to leave it somewhere. And like you and Kaleigh have already mentioned, it gives the stone a bit of personality
2.gif

P.S. Get moving on those pics girl! If you need help resizing, email them to me and I will be more than willing to resize them...anything to get to see some pics!!
31.gif
hehe

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 11:48:10 AM
First of all, you can only see this inclusion because you have been staring at it for over two months! LOL

Second of all, I wouldn''t be upset about your fiance believing the diamond was ''eye clean'' because that term is soooo subjective. And from what you have said, both the jeweler and your fiance did not see the inclusion before, so technically to them, it was eye clean
2.gif

Finally, I really like having some small inclusion in my diamond because it makes it easy to identify if I need to leave it somewhere. And like you and Kaleigh have already mentioned, it gives the stone a bit of personality
2.gif

P.S. Get moving on those pics girl! If you need help resizing, email them to me and I will be more than willing to resize them...anything to get to see some pics!!
31.gif
hehe
Hi Rascal...Actually I agree with you about the staring part. LOL! Can''t help it...it is amazing and the pics I do have don''t do it justice. I feel no different about my diamond now than I did when he proposed. Thanks for the thoughts as well! I would love to send pics to your email so you can hrlp me resize them. I am new to the forum so should I just hit "msg user" and choose email or do you want to send me a message with your email address? Your call...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results