shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Can Someone Help Me With Diamonds??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
Hello! Can SOMEBODY please educate me on diamond size- APPEARANCE?

Can you please post the following:
ROUND DIAMONDS
1.20 carat diamond next to a 1.40 carat diamond next to a 1.50 diamond next to a 1.75 diamond next to a 1.90 carat diamond, next to a 2.00 carat diamnd next to a 2.17 carat diamond??

THANK YOU!!!! (D, E OR F COLOR)

unfortunately i cannot depend on jewelers to cater to me!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
What shape are you interested in?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I don't have the pictures of these stones
1.gif
Why don't you check it with a local jeweler who has diamonds in stock?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A jeweler is your best bet. Or you can draw circles to approximate the sizes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last time you were here a while back you asked pretty much the same questions those threads are still around do a search.
Atleast you arent posting annoying polls so welcome back.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
it's going to be really hard for you to find photos with an accurate comparison b/c size isn't only a function of carat weight. Different stones with different depths and different tables will look smaller/bigger. You're best bet is to look it up on google...they have those comparison charts that give you an idea...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Storm, at least on my monitor, that chart is way off by more than a carat. My dime is very small compared to the monitor. Subsequently, so is my 3c.

As noted by *everyone* go look.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If you go to the LA Jewelery Mart, I'm sure you can find enough stones to determine what you are trying to find out.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/31/2004 6:08:00 PM whitediamonds wrote:

Hello! Can SOMEBODY please educate me on diamond size- APPEARANCE?

Can you please post the following:
ROUND DIAMONDS
1.20 carat diamond next to a 1.40 carat diamond next to a 1.50 diamond next to a 1.75 diamond next to a 1.90 carat diamond, next to a 2.00 carat diamnd next to a 2.17 carat diamond??

THANK YOU!!!! (D, E OR F COLOR)

unfortunately i cannot depend on jewelers to cater to me!
----------------

Why not? If they want your business, they'll show you want you want to see.

WD, I recall that we've gone through this before regarding color, too. I'll say it again.....there is NO substitute for getting off your posterior and going to jewelry stores to see for yourself.

This is a forum to help folks, but it isn't intended to be a replacement or substitute for doing your own homework. With all due respect, people contribute here on a voluntary basis....they aren't here to cater to anyone either. We're about helping people do their homework, not doing it for them.

Alternately, you could do some research on past threads here and come up with the information you're looking for.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, both SIZE and COLOR can be very deceptive when researching online. Eveyone's monitors aren't calibrated the same, plus even something like the wall cover of your room/office can throw off your perception.

In referring to size, most photos online are magnified and while provide a great deal of detail, can also be very confusing if you never see actual stones in person.

I was fortunate in that I went shopping first, became frustrated, went online to research, then went back out in the real world to shop some more. Of course, I came back online to purchase, b/c it was the best service, selection, and price.

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
Hi whitediamonds,

Here is a picture of a series of diamonds in the size ranges you requested. They are AGS triple ideals with similar depths and tables. We have lined them up next to some household items to be used as reference points. On the right we have a Sudafed tablet - 7.1mm and on the left is the top of a Bic Round Stic ball point pen cap - 8.5mm.

The mm breakdown of the goods is as follows:
1.226 FSI1 6.95-6.97mm
1.510 FVS1 7.42-7.57mm
1.736 HSI2 7.81-7.83mm
2.005 GSI1 8.18-8.20mm
2.223 GVS2 8.48-8.49mm

These are not precisely the sizes you asked for but they should be close enough to give you an idea of the relative sizes.

1.40s and 1.90s are few and far between.

Hope this helps. If it doesn’t, we still had fun!
twirl.gif

size comparison123.jpg

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'd better go out and look at jewelry stores, too. I'm not sure if it's exaggerated, but the colours look very distinct when placed next to each other like that -- it's easy to tell which is which without looking at the labels above!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Neat picture!

What's the variance on the diameter on the sudafed tablet and pen cap? Just kidding

It's interesting that you can't tell (at least I can't on the monitor) at all the color difference between the F,G and H. Further proof on how ideal cut diamonds look so white face up.

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
Dear Glitz & Glam:

THANK YOU very much for posting these diamonds!!!
I can't believe the G diamond looks whiter than the F diamond~
that's amazing! Why is that?

I thought to get that ICY WHITE look i'd have to buy a D diamond! Any shots of D-G next to each other?

naughty.gif

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
You’re welcome, Whitediamonds. We had fun photographing them. The G color stones probably looks whiter because the light source is closer to them and they are bigger. It’s really difficult to capture the actual color of a diamond with a photograph. But you definitely don’t have to buy a D color to get a fiery white diamond.

Happy diamond hunting!

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
Hi Whitediamonds,

We’re back for more fun with diamonds!
3.gif
The 3 sets of diamonds pictured are all of the same 2 stones (one D and one G, each about 1.50 cts). The only difference is the positioning of the lighting. This illustrates how difficult it is to accurately photograph diamond colors.

The top image shows a slight color difference between the 2 diamonds, but there is no real difference in the bottom 2 pictures.

3together123.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Alexa, thank you so much for posting those. I think this really illustrates what we've been trying to tell Whitediamonds all along.....you CANNOT judge color on a computer monitor through pictures.

I'm sorry.....I know that's not what you want to hear, WD, but we've been telling you for quite some time now that the only real way to discern color differences/preferences is to get off one's butt and go see diamonds in person.

These pictures show that point sooo clearly. To me, the D does look whiter in the first picture, but in third picture, they look identical. People have to understand that photography has its limitations and cannot see the breadth of spectrum that the eye can see.

WD........now go forth and LOOK at diamonds in person.
2.gif

art lady

Rough_Rock
I'm new to this also but looking for some information on buying an engagement ring. My fiance and I looked at a Ritani at Bailey, Banks& Biddle which I really like. However it's set in platinum only and I wanted it in white gold. I've looked online for similarly styled rings but haven't had much luck finding anything. It was a princess cut, bezel set center stone and the band had pave set diamonds all the way around.
Can I take a picture of this to a private jewler and have it made????
Thanks in advance!
Art Lady

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
DEAR Alexa... Thank you SO MUCH for photographing these side by side.
I see what you mean by the lighting HOWEVER I DO see a difference between that ICY WHITE D next to that G. (Slight, but it's there!)do u think overcast outside lighting would be better??
I APPRECIATE your patience and generosity for posting these for me!!
1.gif
wavey.gif
THANK U!!
Do you have any M's that look White? Did u ever hear of that before?
Also, what is the ICIEST WHITE diamond color u have ever seen?
(D or G?? or H?? )
and..if it has flourescence is that bad?

A MESSAGE TO ALJDEWEY: Believe it or not I have been to diamond jewelers before and that's precisely the reason I posted this question for help !
Picture this: a dressed up saleswoman gets her key off her wrist. Her manicured hand reaches for a ring that I strain to pick out. She brings it out onto the glass as if it's a slight inconvenience. Then of course (as you suggested) I ask to see other shapes/sizes to compare - oh boy am I asking for THE WORLD NOW!! These people DO NOT want to CATER to PEOPLE LIKE ME! I want to fully understand color ranges, and these people DO NOT WANT to cater to you! She's not the only jeweler I've been to like that.

There was only 1 guy I met who was very nice and he showed me an "M"
Diamond and tricked me - he knew i liked D diamonds. He said, "what color do u think this is?" I said, "G?" He said, "it's an "M". I couldn't believe it! I thought all M's were yellowish! Anyway, maybe it was the lighting in the store??
But my point is, I TRULY APPRECIATE Alexa's HELP and especially seeing these pictures - DOES HELP -
So please stop telling me to get off my arse and go see for myself! I have and nobody gives a *&#%$!
angryfire.gif

TO ALEXA: Post as many more photos as u want!
1.gif
wavey.gif
appl.gif

ALEXA FROM GLITZ & GLAM RULES!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could kill my computer(s) and there would still not be any difference between those stones in 2 out of three pics. Maybe it matters that i don't care to prove myself that D is white and G tinted
rolleyes.gif

Buying uncertified stones definitely helps loving them more
1.gif

Anyway. The pics are great! Could we see some more color grades ? Say G-J-M ? On most diamond "color" scales listed online Z looks "fancy intense yellow"... these pics are at least realistic ! Just hope no one will try to grade diamonds using the computer screen. On my three monitors, these look like night and day...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/3/2004 6:12:49 PM whitediamonds wrote:

Also, what is the ICIEST WHITE diamond color u have ever seen?
(D or G?? or H?? ) and..if it has flourescence is that bad?

----------------

This must sound horrible, but some D are more "colorless" than others
2.gif
It's hard to see, 'cause diamonds reflect everything around them so it takes quite a bit of technological care to tell their color from the environment (light source, objects reflected... whatever). After handling diamonds long enough, one could probably pick up such differences - it doesn't apply to me.

Such things obviously sound interesting, but one such little diamond looked just white to me like all the other whites. I knew it's an unusual find, but why does that matter?

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
YES- LET'S SEE THOSE - D E F G-J-M,
Great idea!!

I just LOVE white diamonds (hence my name)... I don't know why except that i've lived w/ a not-an-intense-white diamond and HATE IT! The only reason it looks white at times is bec. it has A TON of flouresc.

Let's say for $10,000, if I want a SUBSTANTIAL LOOK - what do you all suggest?? If i want big size, white color- antique?
appl.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/3/2004 6:12:49 PM whitediamonds wrote:

Then of course (as you suggested) I ask to see other shapes/sizes to compare - oh boy am I asking for THE WORLD NOW!! These people DO NOT want to CATER to PEOPLE LIKE ME
----------------

What does that mean, WD.....people like you? The only people I can think of that jewelers wouldn't cater to are those who are simply window shopping and asking 48,000 questions (oftentimes asking the same questions over and over) with no intention of buying.

Unless that's you, I just cannot fathom why a jeweler would refuse to help you. In my early days of e-ring shopping, I had several jewelers spend time showing me the differences......and I was in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time.

Jenn

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/3/2004 8:22:30 PM aljdewey wrote:

What does that mean, WD.....people like you? The only people I can think of that jewelers wouldn't cater to are those who are simply window shopping and asking 48,000 questions (oftentimes asking the same questions over and over) with no intention of buying.

Unless that's you, I just cannot fathom why a jeweler would refuse to help you. In my early days of e-ring shopping, I had several jewelers spend time showing me the differences......and I was in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time.

----------------

It's funny, when my fiancee and I were diamond shopping we ran into some pretty unfriendly salespeople as well. We are both in our early twenties and dress VERY casually (jeans, tee shirt, sandals, etc.), however, our business has been very kind to us, so we had a healthy budget for our diamond
9.gif
At nearly ALL of the mall jewelers, we were treated like utter crap and it was obvious the sales people were all clueless on top of that. We only received good service at ONE jewelry store and that one was privately owned and very over priced. That whole experience is what inspired us to look for our diamond online....and thank god we did, we got a 1.37 carat beauty at Superb Cert! So, my long winded answer is that yes, salespeople can be bitchy and unhelpful even if you're ready to spend some cash
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/3/2004 8:11:07 PM whitediamonds wrote:

If i want big size, white color- antique

----------------

Not a round ?

Obviously an old stone would be less expensive per carat, but not necasarily bigger looking. PS makes a friendly neighbourhood for those too
1.gif

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Boy I leave the office for the evening and look at all the activity on PS I missed!
4.gif

We don’t carry anything lower than a K. When it comes to L color and below, it’s more a questions of personal taste. These diamonds (L color and below) will show their color from the top and the sides, in particular. An Ideal cut L will face up whiter than its non-Ideal counterpart. If you are considering purchasing one of these colors, we would recommend mounting it in yellow gold. We feel white metal accentuates the darker color whereas the yellow metal masks it. And BTW, this is our opinion when it comes to these colors. There is nothing wrong with mounting an L color or below in white gold if it is pleasing to your eye. After all, it’s your taste that counts. Plus, as you could see from the previous photos, lighting has a lot to do with how the diamond will look. Store lighting really plays up all the good qualities in diamond color, which can mean the diamond will look differently when you are wearing it in office lighting or outside. Dark backgrounds (black velvet, etc.) and incandescent/halogen lighting tend to nullify the body color of darker stones, making them appear whiter in the store. The best way to view the actual color of a diamond is against a white background and using “daylight” fluorescent light or any kind of natural light source.

There is a color grading scale for diamonds with D at the top and, therefore, D is whitest because it is colorless. G-I is near colorless. J-M shows faint yellow (the further along you go in the alphabet shows more and more color). The scale goes all the way to Z. BTW, check out the great tutorials on PS for lots more detailed info about diamond color, fluorescence and many other subjects.

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
So, for today’s viewing pleasure, we have the same two 0.64 cts stones, one a D SI1 the other a K SI1. Again, the only difference among these sets of shots is the lighting.

3front123.jpg

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
And the same diamonds from the side.

3side123.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Alexa, thank you so much for posting these pictures!

I really like being able to see the difference in the colors as well as how the lighting affects them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results