shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Buying nice art deco ring to remove and use stones?

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been looking for a transitional oec to rrcreate my great grandmother's ring but on a larger scale and found this on ebay. It is absolutely unique and beautiful.

But if I were to buy it I would tear it apart to make a traditional 3 stone with semi eternity band. I would feel incredibly guilty. It's in my price range and the facets are what I am looking for so I am trying to justify to myself what I plan to do.

My question is, has anyone else cannibalised a perfectly good antique/vintage ring to make their dream ring. And if so, please reassure me! I worry that I will buy it, and just leave it in my box because I wouldn't be able to bring myself to pull the stones out.

Ideally someone else will snap this up before I do, and put me out of my indecisive back and forth.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Art-D...ight-Hand-11-800-00-/291561271546?nav=SEARCH

The main diamond is J-K color and VS2 Clarity, weighing 1.09ct.

There are 3 larger accent diamonds weighing a total .28ct - H-K color SI1-SI3 clarity.

Finally, the 8 pave set single cut diamonds on the band weigh approx .17ct - H-I color and SI1-SI3 clarity.
__3_1.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help! Buying nice art deco ring to remove and use stones

That's a gorgeous ring. I'd have a very hard time pulling it apart.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I haven't done so myself... but I would under the right circumstances. It's a tough choice. That ring doesn't appeal to me at all so I'd feel very little guilt about buying it for the stones.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

Go for it! That main stone is gorgeous! I struggled with this a little recently. I found a half carat g color, si2 transitional cut diamond in its original setting. The setting was platinum and had some curved baguettes down the shank with 2 straight baguettes. But I put it in the shop to have the center stone made into a pendant. Can't wait to pick it up. For a few weeks I struggled with ripping it apart but it didn't last long.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The ring doesn't appeal to me either, but it is in really good condition and I know that for the right someone, it would be a great ring. Thanks for assuaging my guilt, but I am going to keep looking. The culet was a bit too open anyways. I would probably tear it apart, make my 3 stone, then spend the next 10 years trying to buy old cut stones to reset in this setting!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Rockbrat, can I see the 'before and after' of your ring to pendant project? It would be interesting to see how a stone looks in a completely different setting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd take it to a good jeweler with a good bench. I'd have them laser off the cluster of three at the top. And keep the rest of the ring, polish the sheered off part, as a band, which you can keep or resell.

Then you can do what you want to the three diamonds. That center stone looks lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results