shape
carat
color
clarity

Help buying diamond engagement ring....but im clueless!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hockley1980

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I hope this is the right place to put this as with never having bought a ring (let alone a diamomd ring) I have never posted a messgae on any king of forum before... Anyway here goes...

In three weeks I will be leaving for a 3 week holiday going to Hong kong (stopover), Australia (Sydney) for a wedding and then onto Fiji and then 3 nights in LA. On this trip I plan to propose to my girlfriend (most probably in Fiji?!?!) asking here to marry me!!
30.gif

This is with the intent of buying the ring together in LA in the Jewelry District as I am staying in the Wilshire Grand which im told is nearby?

Now firstly is this the best thing to do? Am I going to get the most for my money here? In Australia? (isnt where they mine for Diamonds too?) Or perhaps I am better off going to London (Hatton Gardens) when we get back?

With the holiday and we are moving too I have budgeted £1000 (about US$1400?) is this enough and can I get something good for this price? Be honest!

If LA is the best place to buy then where? It seems there are many places in this Jewelry District?

I have looked on the internet and have looked at the 4c''s and certain blogs but as you can tell I really havnt got a clue....

Also we are there for three nights. i want to buy the diamond, set and have the right size etc etc.. Can this be done in a couple of days?

I realise there are lots of questions there but any help would be appreciated!!!

Thankyou. Adam.
26.gif

Ps if i have put this in the incorrect forum can it be moved?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 9:35:12 AM
Author:hockley1980
Hello all!

I hope this is the right place to put this as with never having bought a ring (let alone a diamomd ring) I have never posted a messgae on any king of forum before... Anyway here goes...

In three weeks I will be leaving for a 3 week holiday going to Hong kong (stopover), Australia (Sydney) for a wedding and then onto Fiji and then 3 nights in LA. On this trip I plan to propose to my girlfriend (most probably in Fiji?!?!) asking here to marry me!!
30.gif

This is with the intent of buying the ring together in LA in the Jewelry District as I am staying in the Wilshire Grand which im told is nearby?

Now firstly is this the best thing to do? Am I going to get the most for my money here? In Australia? (isnt where they mine for Diamonds too?) Or perhaps I am better off going to London (Hatton Gardens) when we get back?

With the holiday and we are moving too I have budgeted £1000 (about US$1400?) is this enough and can I get something good for this price? Be honest!

If LA is the best place to buy then where? It seems there are many places in this Jewelry District?

I have looked on the internet and have looked at the 4c's and certain blogs but as you can tell I really havnt got a clue....

Also we are there for three nights. i want to buy the diamond, set and have the right size etc etc.. Can this be done in a couple of days?

I realise there are lots of questions there but any help would be appreciated!!!

Thankyou. Adam.
26.gif

Ps if i have put this in the incorrect forum can it be moved?
Hi Adam and welcome!

What exactly are you looking for, a round diamond in a gold Tiffany style solitaire? You might be best buying online to maximise the budget. It might be cutting it a bit fine too in trying to buy a diamond and get the ring completed in 3 days while you are staying somewhere temporarily.

hockley1980

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei,

Im am not really sure to be honest? Whats Tiffany? (as you can see im clueless!) Ha ha! I know she likes White Gold? After I pop the question it would be up to her what she wants but just within the budget.

I wasnt sure about the timescale but reading peoples articles on various sites it seemed as if it was possible to do it in a day?!?!?

I would be reluctant to buy from the internet? Is this common?

Thanks for your fast reply.

Adam.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 10:20:22 AM
Author: hockley1980
Hi Lorelei,

Im am not really sure to be honest? Whats Tiffany? (as you can see im clueless!) Ha ha! I know she likes White Gold? After I pop the question it would be up to her what she wants but just within the budget.

I wasnt sure about the timescale but reading peoples articles on various sites it seemed as if it was possible to do it in a day?!?!?

I would be reluctant to buy from the internet? Is this common?

Thanks for your fast reply.

Adam.
Hi Adam!

You are most welcome! What I mean by a Tiffany style solitaire is the oft seen plain gold band with the 4 or 6 prong mounting for a round diamond. My concern is if you are going to get the ring done in 3 days as you will only be in LA for that time, if something didn't quite go to plan then it could be difficult. It is possible to get these things done quickly yes but in order to get a pretty diamond your lady will be proud of, then it is crucial to get a well cut rock - and this might take some shopping around and research. Also the jewellery districts in these places can be full of potential pitfalls for the unwary.

However we do have some LA PSers here who might have some recommendations for you!

Many of us have purchased online with excellent results and would do so again in a heartbeat, but if you prefer not to then no problem. What we need to do is to work with you to help you find what you are looking for so you can shop well and safely.

If you check out this thread there is a pic of a Tiffany style solitaire so you can see what I mean.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-6-prong-solitaire.103226/

hockley1980

Rough_Rock
That looks lovely,

I guess thats the best thing to get, (no fancy stuff as you want to show off what you have paid most for..the diamond!).

How much would something like that cost on the internet or in LA? Do you get prices for the Set and Diamond together? Or do you choose seperately and put them together?

I guess you are right.. I wouldnt want it to be stressful running around LA and spoiling the end of our trip... Also I dont mind paying but would hate to be ripped off which in my case would easily be done im sure!?

Sending a diamond in the post...how do you insure that?!!? Sorry i must look like a complete muppet and will get laughed off this site with my stupid questions....

So what is the best I can get for around a £1000 all in? Are there any extra charges I should account for?

Thanks. Adam.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 10:52:22 AM
That looks lovely,

I guess thats the best thing to get, (no fancy stuff as you want to show off what you have paid most for..the diamond!).

How much would something like that cost on the internet or in LA? Do you get prices for the Set and Diamond together? Or do you choose seperately and put them together?

I guess you are right.. I wouldnt want it to be stressful running around LA and spoiling the end of our trip... Also I dont mind paying but would hate to be ripped off which in my case would easily be done im sure!?

Sending a diamond in the post...how do you insure that?!!? Sorry i must look like a complete muppet and will get laughed off this site with my stupid questions....

So what is the best I can get for around a £1000 all in? Are there any extra charges I should account for?

Thanks. Adam.
Usually you choose the diamond then have it set from the same seller in the setting of your choice. For the budget white gold might be the best option as platinum is costly. That way that will leave you more money to spend on the diamond.

And you are not a muppet, no one will think that!!! With the postage do you if you purchased from the States online and had it sent to you in the UK? Many of the vendors use FedEx I believe then you have import duty and VAT on top so around 18% total I think now with the VAT reduction.

I will have a look and see what you could get....

hockley1980

Rough_Rock
OK, Thanks,

I guess its weighig up the pros and cons and where i can get the best buying experience/cheapest price?

Thanks for looking.

Adam.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 11:15:29 AM
OK, Thanks,

I guess its weighig up the pros and cons and where i can get the best buying experience/cheapest price?

Thanks for looking.

Adam.
I had a look for you, you could get around a .50 ct or maybe a little more depending round diamond such as this for the budget

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1201106.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

This setting -

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/2mm-Knife-Edge-Ring.html

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Nicely done Lorelei! That combo comes in at budget even after the VAT.

And props to JA for posting the idealscope.

hockley, that setting is pretty and timeless. It's a great option if you don't know exactly what you want.

ETA: For something very different, I thought I'd throw this out there check out the second ring listed, 0.65 transitional. This is NOT a classic engagement ring but would be well loved by the right woman.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 11:29:51 AM
Author: mercoledi
Nicely done Lorelei! That combo comes in at budget even after the VAT.

And props to JA for posting the idealscope.

hockley, that setting is pretty and timeless. It''s a great option if you don''t know exactly what you want.
* blush*.....
12.gif

Thankees Merc!!!

hockley1980

Rough_Rock
Yes that does look very nice....

It seems you get a discount for being a pricescope member?

Free shipping by Fed Ex and returns for re-fitting?

Now Platinum or White Gold?
When does the Tax payment come into it?

Thanks guys for all your help.

Adam.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 11:38:21 AM

Yes that does look very nice....

It seems you get a discount for being a pricescope member?

Free shipping by Fed Ex and returns for re-fitting?

Now Platinum or White Gold?

When does the Tax payment come into it?

Thanks guys for all your help.

Adam.
I am not 100% sure but I think it you pay it when it hits these shores, the duties are paid before the package is released to you - but I am sure someone else will have some better info on that for you! You can get a discount ( the price is discounted on the diamond page) for being a PS member, I think generally you need to pay by bank wire in some cases, but James Allen is a highly reputable vendor, no worries there.

Platinum will take more of the budget so unless you want to pay more I would suggest white gold if you want to keep within the budget you specified.

hockley1980

Rough_Rock
Ok great thanks!

I will do some more research and be back soon as girlfriend home from work!!!

Speak soon and thanks again for help.. you are a star... Or a diamond!!

Haha!

Adam.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 11:44:21 AM
Ok great thanks!

I will do some more research and be back soon as girlfriend home from work!!!

Speak soon and thanks again for help.. you are a star... Or a diamond!!

Haha!

Adam.
* blushes some more*...You are very kind, thank you!!!
3.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you buy the ring from the US and have it shipped to the UK you probably won''t get free shipping. I think it will cost around $100 for insured FedEx shipping. You will have to pay 15% VAT and 2.5% import tax. The taxes are calculated on the overall cost of the ring plus shipping.

The first time I had something shipped to me by FedEx I had to pay the duty and VAT before they would deliver the parcel. They either call you or write to you and you can pay over the phone.

Hope that helps
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 12:52:29 PM
Author: Maisie
If you buy the ring from the US and have it shipped to the UK you probably won''t get free shipping. I think it will cost around $100 for insured FedEx shipping. You will have to pay 15% VAT and 2.5% import tax. The taxes are calculated on the overall cost of the ring plus shipping.

The first time I had something shipped to me by FedEx I had to pay the duty and VAT before they would deliver the parcel. They either call you or write to you and you can pay over the phone.

Hope that helps
1.gif
Thanks Bruddah!
35.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem Bruddah
9.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Since you are looking at a ring from James Allen, if you go to their website and look in bottom left of the homepage, there is a tax & shipping calculator. Enter the product cost and select UK from the drop down menu and it will calculate approximate shipping and duties for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results