shape
carat
color
clarity

Help buying an engagement ring at Florence, Venice or Rome

wgfernandes

Rough_Rock
Hi! This is my first post. My english is not the best you will see around, so sorry for anything.

I am traveling from Brasil to Italy and was wondering about buying a Tiffany Setting ring.

Unfortunately,here in Brazil the prices are so high that even the Tiffany's prices in Europe and US seems good.

But after some good research I thoght that maybe I could get a better ring for the same price.

I dont have a large amount to spend, so my plan is to stay in the 3,500-4,500 euros (I know about the VAT-Free).

Do you recommend any Jewerly in Venice, Florence or Rome or at the Internet in particular?

Sorry if this have already been asked already.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help buying an engagement ring at Florence, Venice or Ro

Everything I saw in Italy was very small diamonds for very large prices. You would be better off buying online.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby|1470446864|4062953 said:
Everything I saw in Italy was very small diamonds for very large prices. You would be better off buying online.

More or less same. I didn't go specifically looking for jewelry though, so don't know any particular jewelers to recommend. I saw the big designers, a lot of fashion jewelry (cheap quality, the same thing at every store), and a couple of antique jewelry stores that had a nice but way overpriced selection. Buuuut these were all in the touristy areas of Rome and Florence and that is what I'd expect for a touristy area.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Around St. Mark's Square in Venice there are some beautiful shops with large lovely diamonds on display. Since you are a serious buyer, go in and ask to be shown any pieces you find beautiful. The sales people in these shops look bored and not busy enough, so give them something to do! But, I am sure prices will be very high and if you see something you love, get the specs on the stone and look on line for comparison. I'm not suggesting you buy in Piazza San Marco, but do go into the shops and get an idea.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock

I have to agree with Aprilbaby, small diamonds for large prices. Venice does have some beautiful jewellery shops, but also pricey. Online is best once you work out what you are looking for.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hawk Antiques is based in Italy, Napoli I think. I look at their online store a lot, but I've never purchased anything from them.
All these are within your budget
1) Oval in 18k www.hawkantiques.com/?product=an-excellent-brand-new-75ct-vvs1-oval-diamond-solitaire-ring-of-your-dreams,, 2) Art Deco twist ring www.hawkantiques.com/?product=genuine-art-deco-1-45-ct-diamond-twist-ring-platinum-1925-ca.. 3) Old cut 1.15ct www.hawkantiques.com/?product=spectacular-art-deco-1-15-ct-flawless-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring

There are others, I just picked a selection. If you can get to Napoli from Rome, it looks like it's about 80 minutes by train, it may be worth the trip.

wgfernandes

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your help!

It may sound a little ackward but me and my fiancé dont feel confortable about big stones. To our tastes anything close do 1ct would be already big.

Although we have very good jobs for the brazilian reality (I am from a medium low class family and she from a medium high) we live in Brazil after all and just to walk me something too flashy could be a little annoying or insecure.

To complicate things a little more her family is spiritualistic and although I thought some of the antique you linked beatiful I know she will not be confortable using an antique ring .

We really liked the Classic setting of Tiffany and I am looking for something close to that.
I know that Tiffany is really overpriced besides the fact that buying in Italy sounds cheap compared to our prices os diamons in Brazil. I was wondering if the lifetime service of cleaning and adjustment is worth something...

Would you recomend any online shop in special that could deliver in Italy?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Italy very strongly protects a lot of their trades and does not allow the importation of many items into Italy from outside the EU. I believe jewellery is one of these. If this is the case then you'd need to look at European jewellers who would ship to Italy. This forum is mostly Americans and buying diamonds is much cheaper in the US than anywhere else, often that's true even after the fees and VAT. Italy's is approx 22% for the record.

I have an Italian friend who purchased from Good Old Gold in New York when she and her fiancé were on holiday. Despite her and her fiancé being Italian they thought it was too expensive and the average diamond too small in Italy. They couldn't import by shipping due to import restrictions so they visited GOG in person. I don't have further details.

Damiani is a well known Italian jeweller. That might be a good place to start. It looks like you could get a 0.40 to 0.50 carat, H VS2, no cut grade or information given, in a 6 claw platinum setting for about 4000 to 4500€. I'm not saying I recommend this. Cut is king on PS and Italy isn't the place for best value for money by far. Since you're stuck to Italy, this is only thing I can even think to suggest.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Why not visit Tiffany, or Cartier, or Bvlgari in Rome? You could have fun shopping on your holiday!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results