shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Buying A Loose Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boileratc

Rough_Rock
4246113 class="postbitlinks">Ok, so I bought an engagement ring but decided against buying the center diamond from the store because they were offering an awful price. I need some help buying a center stone.

Here''s what I''m looking for:
1) Certified by AGS, GIA, or EGL (preference in that order)
2) Carat >1.0
3) Color anywhere from D-G
4) Cut: ideal or excellent
5) Clarity: need a little help here, IF-SI1? Is SI1 too low, should I stick with VS2 and higher?

Here''s my options so far:
Option 1) EGL certified, 1.04 carat, G, exclusive ideal cut, VS2. I have the measurements and they are all excellent/ideal (depth, table, polish, symmetry, etc). Comes with appraisal, certificate, and 30 day money back guarantee, free shipping, no tax. Price: $3,594.

Option 2) EGL certified, 1.20 carat, G, premium cut (1 step below option 1), VS2. Table width is 1% too wide for ideal plus, still considered ideal though. This diamond has been clarity enhanced. Comes with appraisal, certificate, 7 day money back guarantee, no tax, free shipping. Price: $2,650.

Option 3) EGL certified, 1.27 carat, E, exclusive ideal cut, SI1. Comes with certificate, 7 day money back guarantee, no tax, free shipping. Price: $3,600 or best offer.

I know I said GIA and AGS were preferred but they seem to be a bit out of my price range with a carat >1.0. Any stone I buy will be taken to a jeweler and re-appraised immediately.

Does it matter that I don''t plan to ever sell the diamond and that my fiance is not "jewelry smart" (meaning she doesn''t know what any of the 4 c''s mean other than carat).

Any help with choosing the best diamond is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 3:48:19 PM
Author:boileratc

I know I said GIA and AGS were preferred but they seem to be a bit out of my price range

Maybe not.

Those non GIA/AGS stones may be overgraded so you are not comparing apples to apples, or Gs to Gs, or VS1s to VS1s.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 3:52:18 PM
Author: kenny

I know I said GIA and AGS were preferred but they seem to be a bit out of my price range

Maybe not.

Those non GIA/AGS stones may be overgraded so you are not comparing apples to apples, or Gs to Gs, or VS1s to VS1s.
Hi boileratc,

Kenny makes a good point...If you would like some help finding a diamond, can you post your budget for the diamond alone please, then we can see what is out there for you?

boileratc

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 3:56:00 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/2/2009 3:52:18 PM
Author: kenny

Maybe not.

Hi boileratc,

Kenny makes a good point...If you would like some help finding a diamond, can you post your budget for the diamond alone please, then we can see what is out there for you?
My budget is around $3700 for the diamond. The engagement ring is a Tacori with many small diamonds on the side, is 18K gold, and I would like at least 1ct.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get a 1-carat stone graded by AGS or GIA for $3700.
Here's one with a GIA report for $2,899.

link

Here's one with an AGS report for $3,824.

click

If the color and clarity seem low compared to $3700 1-carat stones from other labs, know this:
These same stones could have been sent to a soft lab and gotten higher color and clarity grades.
Then, even though they may sell for the same price you THINK you are getting higher color and clarity, and that you "can't afford" GIA or AGS stones.

You started this thread listing 3 EGL stones.
Ask the vendor to send them to GIA or AGS to see if the color and clarity and cut grades hold up.
They'll hang up the phone on you because they know you've crossed over into the small but growing group of informed diamond customers.

It is an outrage that there are gem labs that grade easier and deceive the public.
I would not support them with my dollars.

Plus these two vendors have great return policies, upgrade policies, offer lots of pics and tools to help you find a well-cut diamond.
Cut is more important than color or clarity when it comes to a beautifully performing diamond.

Oh and you may want to look just a hair under a carat, 0.9 - 0.99 ct.
For the same budget you may find higher color and clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results