shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Buying a large diamond on line-vs B&M store-

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ame- I wont say anymore, I was just wondering if anyone knew. Do you know, or anyone, why BlueNile doesnt carry 'K' color diamonds? What are the thoughts on BlueNile?

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jimmiane- I live in SoCal, I know WF has a showroom in Texas? Where are there other showrooms?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
stuandcindy|1459100456|4011739 said:
Thanks Ame- I wont say anymore, I was just wondering if anyone knew. Do you know, or anyone, why BlueNile doesnt carry 'K' color diamonds? What are the thoughts on BlueNile?
Most on here, myself included, are not huge fans of Blue Nile. The main reason is that they do not offer images of the stones they sell on the website so you don't see what you're buying up front. You also do not get IdealScope and ASET scope images up front because they do not offer either at all. They're a drop-shipper, so most of the stones they sell are not even in their possession, they're at an outside dealer, they're a middleman basically. So you buy from them, they call the dealer and get it from the dealer (in most cases) and then it's shipped to you. Sometimes it's sent straight from the dealer.

As far as the "K" is concerned, my assumption (I don't know this for sure) is simply that the further you go down the color scale, the wider the net is for what qualifies as each color grade. Most people have a mental hurdle of "is this going to be yellow" when you're dealing with a J, and sometimes even an I, so selling a K is an uphill battle for many vendors when dealing with customers who aren't as educated on diamonds, or may be color sensitive. I'd wager that they decided not to deal with what could be a lot of returns or poor sales if they went below a J.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
stuandcindy|1459100703|4011742 said:
Thanks Jimmiane- I live in SoCal, I know WF has a showroom in Texas? Where are there other showrooms?
To my knowledge, that's the only one.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1459100456|4011739 said:

Blue Nile is a drop-shipper. They don't keep diamonds in-house, and they don't provide as much information as some of the other vendors on here do. If you are dropping a huge sum on a diamond, why not get it from one of the vendors who can provide personal service like ASET images, videos, etc. In the end, diamonds must be seen (as David from Diamonds by Lauren says), and the full-service vendors here on PS can do preliminary screening and other things for you, which is important if buying via the Internet.

As for K color, as I already stated, there are mnay people who think even J or possibly I is too tinted for an engagement ring. Blue Nile is interested in doing large volume business. Probably most people aren't looking for a K diamond. Also as the color grades go lower, they also get wider. D, E, F, G, those are are very narrowly-defined grades and there is not a lot of difference between a high F or G and a low F or G. As I recall, I is actually the narrowest grade due to the way that GIA defined it (look up old PS discussions for those details.) But you get down to J or K, and those grades cover a broader range of tint(s). A J might be almost an I or might be almost K. A K could be near J, or really close to L, and L is unmistakably a pale yellow.

If you like your J, you won't necessarily be content with J or K in a much larger diamond due to larger stones concentrate the tint more, requiring you to go up in color as you go up in diamond size. And that high J vs. low J color issue is another issue, because what you are wearing might be closer to I than to K. I'm not a huge fan of J and K. But I love the L and M colors, because they are unmistakable pale yellow and not just a (forgive me) "dingy white."

My previous thread was meant to shortcut you to some self-service tools. If you are serious about K color, contact Wink at High Performance Diamonds because Crafted by Infinity is one of the cutters that creates stellar performers in lower colors. Brian Gavin Diamonds recently delved into the "cape" colors, and also carries the Brian Gavin Blue line with blue fluorescence. Brian could probably source a J or K for you.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello Stuandcity,

A lot of interesting info in this thread. But some points probably need to be put in perspective.

For starters, there is nothing inherently dangerous, wrong or bad about buying online, provided you do your research about whom you are buying from. As in B&M, there are a number of high-quality vendors online (often PS-favorites) as well as cheap low-service outfits. The latter will not get a lot of mention here, but they do exist.

The size you are looking at brings along extra questions. For the top cut-quality lines, you will find that your choice in the sense of ready-to-deliver is limited. This is logical to some extent, as the cost of building up an inventory in such sizes is huge, and the majority of sales is not in this size-bracket.

On the other hand, please be aware that as size of the diamond goes up, the effect of even the slightest improvement in cut-quality is more apparent. This is also the case beyond the normal level of scrutiny on PS. On the other hand, with average value of 0.01 Ct. in extra weight being higher in a high-size-diamond, the 'reward' for a cutter to push up weight by a few points is more important. For that reason, it is normal to expect more hidden weight in such high-value average cost-per-carat diamonds. The same can be observed in D-IF of 1Ct, for instance. On average, their cut-quality is lower, simpy because of the higher reward for the cutter to 'swindle' a few points.

With that said, my advice is two-fold. You first need to decide for yourself whether you want the best sparkle or the biggest size. If you are in favor of the biggest size, see what both online and B&M can offer you, and make your pick. Both will likely be drawing from a similar pool of supplies, so it kind of depends who has the best resources and who is most efficient at bringing this to you.

If you are in favor of sparkle, talk to the most likely suppliers of high cut-quality, talk budget and desires on color and clarity with them, and see what they can come up with. This will probably be an online-only exercise, but do not expect this to be the average buying experience.

Good luck on your search. Please enjoy it.

Live long,

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all of the great information. There is so much to know, search, research. I like this site for all of your help. Now to the search! :)

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Here is a stone I found, can I hear what all of you think?

Stock No:7948209Carat Weight:4.50Cut:ExcellentColor:IClarity:VS1Price($):Lab Name:GIADepth:62.70Table:56.00Polish:Excellent Symmetry:Excellent Girdle:MED Culet:None Fluorescence:NoneRatio:0.00Measurements:10.51x10.56x6.61

This is from B2C Jewels.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1459188492|4012085 said:
Here is a stone I found, can I hear what all of you think?

Stock No:7948209Carat Weight:4.50Cut:ExcellentColor:IClarity:VS1Price($):Lab Name:GIADepth:62.70Table:56.00Polish:Excellent Symmetry:Excellent Girdle:MED Culet:None Fluorescence:NoneRatio:0.00Measurements:10.51x10.56x6.61

This is from B2C Jewels.

Depth at 62.7 means you are losing spread (faces up smaller than it should) plus don't know what the crown and pavilion angles are on this one.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Has anyone heard of or dealt with a Jeweler called "Adiamor'? I dont know how I stumbled on the site. Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1459205665|4012269 said:
Has anyone heard of or dealt with a Jeweler called "Adiamor'? I dont know how I stumbled on the site. Thanks

That's a vendor that will primarily have virtual listings. That means they are listing mostly stones that belong to a diamond supplier and they do not even have it in hand. Jewelers like WF have the diamonds in stock (as well as some they may know are coming in soon).

If you want to search virtual listings or even in-stock listings for vendors that carry a wide variety of quality, then you can use these parameters to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
I can see the measurements on the GIA report. Looks like the crown is 56 but not sure where the pavillion measure is?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1459205665|4012269 said:

OP---If you search their name on this site you will see mixed reviews.
Or you could follow some of the suggestions of very knowledgeable people on this forum and buy from PS vendors with quality products, lots of satisfied customers, plenty of technical material to back up the quality of their product, etc, etc, etc.

Others can chime in, but I think Adiamor is in LA, and located in the "diamond district" like 47th St in NYC.
Most people on this forum would avoid those street vendors, some of the PS vendors are in the diamond district, not talking about them. If you buy an ACA from WF, for example, or a Signature Series diamond from BGD, you will get top quality for your money. I found out a long time ago there are no deals in diamonds, you get what you pay for.
Its your coin. Best of luck.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
A beautiful stone, thank you.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
the 56 may not be the correct # for the question, sorry.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Thank you diamondseeker, we will use this information

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
I see,ok thank you. Looking at their site the prices seem lower, not sure of all of the details of the stone that is necessary to buying a good quality stone. So the vendors listed on PS-under the PS search area- are vendors who have a high proven track record for all of us searching for jewelry? They are not just companies posting their names on this site?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you find a vendor you're not sure about, make sure you ask about them here before spending any money.

As others have said, stones in the size range you are looking at will likely have to be sourced by a reputable vendor. Try calling some of the ones that have been suggested to you and see what they have to offer. You will be far more productive that way than trolling around the internet. There are a lot of unscrupulous diamond sellers out there!

If you want a well cut stone, you have to be realistic about what your budget will bring. Stones in that size range are very pricey and you've been warned already about cutters cutting stones to hit a certain carat weight while sacrificing cut quality. You need to be dealing with vendors of the first water.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Call Good old Gold and he will find you a stone.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help. I have been only looking at vendors listed on PS or suggested by the PS family. On the PS site there are several vendors that have not been talked about, except for Adiamor, and I see that USAcerted is a Canadian company?, I was just wondering if these other vendors are ones to look at also. Cindy

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I couldnt get onto the site for over an hour, I thought I was blocked for too many dumb diamond buying questions ;-)
I have a few stones that were presented to me I would like thoughts from the PS family please. I hope I can show all of the correct information-All round brilliant

#1-4.42ct
J
VS1
Excellent, Excellent, Very Good
No Fluor

Table-56
depth-61.0
crown-35.0
pav-40.8 (but next to this # is 43.0%?)
thin-Medium faceted-2.5%
Measurements are 10.59 - 10.66x6.48
the measure from crown to culet is-40.08

#2-4.51ct
J
VS2
Ex, Ex, Ex
NO fluor
Table-57
depth-61.4
crown-34.0
pav-41.4 (# next to it is 44.0%)
med faceted-3.0%
Measurements are 10.64 - 10.67x6.54%
the measure from crown to culet is-41.4

The top 2 are GIA

#3 is AGS

#3-4.43ct
Cut grade-Ideal0
color-AGS 3.0 J
clarity-AGS 3 VS1
Negligible fluor
AGS looks different in the measuring areas. I will try to find the correct #s.
faceted 1.7%-4%?
table-57.2? at 100% (then I see a small 51 on the drawing of the diamond body) just under the 57.2)
depth-61.8%
crown-33.6
pav-looks like 41.5

(also I see a 44.1%? is the pav a degree or percent?)
Measurements are-10.54 - 10.58x6.53

I hope this information is correct enough for some feedback.
I was wanting to be closer to a 5ct but I know I have to decide on what matters most. I dont want a bad cut or inclusions I can see just to have 1/2 ct larger and stay in the budget. I feel this is a good plan unless that miracle 5ct stone appears-haha. Thanks for all of your help, I will be looking for your replies. Cindy

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
These choices are in addition to the referral diamond WillyDiamond posted earlier. I have that in consideration also.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who has the three stones you posted?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 is the one that has the most potential and I like the numbers the best. A lot depends on whether you want I or J color, though.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Missgotrocks-
WF-some are not on their site yet-one has been for a bit

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you call Whiteflash? I am assuming they are virtual stones and not in-house?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1459288272|4012734 said:
Missgotrocks-
WF-some are not on their site yet-one has been for a bit

These sound like virtual stones and not actual WF stones, is that right? That's okay, but the stones they stock are usually superior in quality. That said, they are good at screening stones and can check the light performance for you.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker-
From what I have learned, and seen, it all depends on own eye. I currently have a 2ct J stone that looks amazing but a 2x stone in the same color I have read could be more yellow that is what I am cruising through.I want to make the right choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results