shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Blue Nile! Anyone bought / returned there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
I have a stone on hold at Blue Nile, but I''m curious before I buy it to hear about other''s experience with BN. How about returns, does anyone have any experience returning a stone to them? The stone sounds good on paper, but the only way to see it is to buy it, and I want to make sure that others have found that returning stones and refunds are really as easy as BN says. Here are the stats on the GIA cert:

F Color
SI 2
3.03 Carats
VG Polish
VG Symetry
9.16 - 9.22x5.74 mm
62.5% Depth
57% Table
$26,420

Any thougts? Also, I''d like to take advantage of their good prices on settings and setting fees (or lack thereof). How much harder is it to evaluate a diamond that has been set vs. a loose diamond. Am I better off buying it loose and having it set locally (even if it costs a few hundred more?), just to be sure the diamond is indeed a good one?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought and returned at Blue Nile. It is painless. Shipping is by USPS registered mail. I''m guesseing about $25 for that value. You might check insurance, since I think you can only insure up to $25,000 with USPS, but check the website.

What''s the sarin data on the stone? You may wish to ask for it and post it hee for people''s opinions before buying.

cascadejim

Rough_Rock
Wow, are you set on over 3 cts or would over 2.5 work? You could probably find an awesome diamond in a 2.5 for about $5k less. That would be some ring though, 3 cts...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blue Nile is a high quality company. You can use the search box at the top right corner of this page to read what people have said about them on the forum. Search for ''Blue Nile'' and ''BN''.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile is excellent about honoring their return policy. Several folks have posted their experiences with them. One gal even bought a couple diamonds, I think, and returned them to BN before she got THE one from them.

You would need to post crown and pavillion angles, and girdle thickness for more informed opinions about the diamond. From comparing to "comparable" diamonds currently available in the PS search engine, the price looks fair.

This diamond is cut just a touch deep and the diameter is on the smaller side. Other well cut diamonds of that carat weight measure 0.1 to 0.2 mm larger in diameter. This suggests that the diamond was cut for weight retention, ie, to push it over the magic 3 carat mark. Doesn't mean it won't be sparkly. Just that the pricing carries a premium for carat weight you don't see and does not enhance the performance of the diamond.

You'll get a more accurate evaluation of the diamond if you purchase it loose but an appraiser can work around the setting. Many appraisers have an arrangement with a local jeweler or smith to set diamonds for them. You might check into that prior to purchase.
1.gif

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
I requested a Sarin report, but it''s unlikely it will arrive until Monday given it''s about to get dark in NYC. I will post when I get it and before I buy. I hear the info about the slightly deep cut, but you don''t see many 2.9''s or 2.8''s out there, so it seems to me if I want over 2.75 carats, I''ll probably end up paying the old "3 and above premium" anyway. I would like to be well above 2.5, so I think I''m probably stuck paying the premium on most stones out there.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It is possible to find an eye clean SI2. With this being a sizeable stone, and a SI2,................ You really wanna know the size, color, type, and locations of the inclusions. Have you seen a good copy of the Cert plot?? Can they send you magnified pics of the diamond and inclusions??

Just a couple more questions for you to ponder. As Noobie noted, USPS offers insurance coverage on packages up to $25K. So shipping the diamond to and fro could be an issue for you as an individual. Making an informed buying decision is a bit more important in this particular case than with a diamond that falls under the USPS limit.
1.gif

dtexan

Rough_Rock
Most of the reputed vendors take back the stone without any problems. But buying insurance to return it is the not-so-fun part. My first stone was $10k and with insurance and shipping it cost about $140 to return it. The next stone i bought was significantly more so i was praying that it would be perfect because it would be getting quite expensive returning these things. Thank god i''m happy with it. If i had to return the second one also then i''d have re-considered buying over the net :) Make sure the stone has no visible inclusions, that''s what i''m always concerned about when it comes to SI stones.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 4:14:54 PM
Author: dtexan
Most of the reputed vendors take back the stone without any problems. But buying insurance to return it is the not-so-fun part. My first stone was $10k and with insurance and shipping it cost about $140 to return it. The next stone i bought was significantly more so i was praying that it would be perfect because it would be getting quite expensive returning these things. Thank god i''m happy with it. If i had to return the second one also then i''d have re-considered buying over the net :) Make sure the stone has no visible inclusions, that''s what i''m always concerned about when it comes to SI stones.
I''ve shipped in excess of $10K via USPS Registered, Insured Mail and it didn''t cost me $30. In fact, if I recall correctly, it cost about $25.
33.gif

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
Understood about the inclusions. Maybe I can get some magnified photos of the actual stone. I asked about insurance because I know about USPS only insuring up to $25K. They told me BN has a program with Fed Ex and it will cost me about $100 to return. Far from risk free, but not the end of the world.

dtexan

Rough_Rock
No way that''s possible. That''s probably just registered mail and no additional insurance. I was quoted that too. And that came with very minimal insurance. UPS standard rate is $1 for every $100 of additional insurance.

Though i''ve heard that it doesn''t cost nearly as much for the companies to ship because they send in bulk or private insurance.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
There are several Pricescope vendors who will send a ring to an appraiser of your choice, as long as he is known to them, before you pay for it. I had my stone sent to an appraiser I found at the top under resources, and I saw it there. Then it was sent back to the vendor to be set and I did not have to pay until the ring was ready to be sent out.

If I had decided that I did not want the stone, the vendor would have arranged to have it shipped back to them by the appraiser and I would have had to pay about $100 to ship it back. I bought from Whiteflash but several of the other vendors will make all the arrangements to have the stone sent to an appraiser before you pay and will take care of all the shipping.

As to an SI2, has anyone at Blue Nile seen the stone? Can they describe to you over the phone the inclusions and whether they are visible before you have them send it to you.

dtexan

Rough_Rock
How nice! I wish Diamond.com offered something like that! I asked them and they said this is how they recommend sending it through UPS. $100 fully insured doesn''t sound like a bad deal at all! Oh and ask them if they can send you photos of the actual diamond.

Oh and i don''t know how the USPS works. I would''ve thought similar but ive had even my registered mail stolen with them, so i rarely use USPS.

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
I confirmed with Blue Nile that under their program with Fed Ex it will cost me $91.25 to return, shoud I need to. Waiting on Sarin Report and Photos of actual diamond.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 4:25:37 PM
Author: dtexan
No way that''s possible. That''s probably just registered mail and no additional insurance. I was quoted that too. And that came with very minimal insurance. UPS standard rate is $1 for every $100 of additional insurance.

Though i''ve heard that it doesn''t cost nearly as much for the companies to ship because they send in bulk or private insurance.
Yes, check the web site USPS.com. A package weighing 1 pound (that''s about 1816 carats, I think; AnA will correct me if I''m wrong
1.gif
) sent registered priority mail with $10,000 insurance is less than $25

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
US Postal Service is USPS. United Parcel Service is UPS.

USPS shipping via Registerd, Insured Mail isn't expensive. It just takes forever. Don't waste money on Priority charges, Overnight, or anything like that. Won't happen. Before your package is accepted at the counter, the clerk will tape all the edges, corner, and seams with USPS tape. Registered travels via "Armored Car". There is no rhyme or reason to the route. Each and every Postal employee that touches your package has to sign off. All the packages going in a general direction are gathered together and then they are off. A week, 10 days, 2 weeks later, your package arrives at it's destination.

It's good the BN has a special arrangement for your type of returns, CM. At least you know in advance what to expect.
1.gif

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
How did you know my initials, pqcollectibles?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 5:49:39 PM
Author: cmargosi
How did you know my initials, pqcollectibles?
From your user name! cmargosi HeeHee!!
9.gif

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
Okay. Just wanted to make sure you weren''t one of the salespeople at my other sources! Just kidding, have a good weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results