shape
carat
color
clarity

Help black mark

Beams

Rough_Rock
Hi, need help with a diamond I am interested in, no certs as vintage but noticeable blank mark on table, see picture ( large diamond close to wedding bands), ring is approx 1.8carat, g colour and VS2 but with the mark I'd say maybe lower. Would you buy and do you think mark is an inclusion or a shadow? I'd love some help.

image_3961.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a number of inclusions on the stone, I'm not sure which black one you are referring to.

Beams

Rough_Rock
I was referring to the one just off centre, like a horizontal little line.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Beams ( lol hibeams)

Please make sure you're paying very little for any stone promised to be G/VS2 especially if it looks like the one you posted.,
It's possible a VS2 an have such a visible imperfection, but not likely.
Plus, if it was truly a G/VS2 no seller would offer it sans the GIA.
Plus the cut looks....well, wonky.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome. :wavey:

What (specific) help do you need?

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't think that is a shadow. There are at least 3 inclusions all in that area - I would not think that is a VS2.

eta - I would buy anything, if the price is right. If you are paying for a GIA G/vs2 I would not buy this stone. This stone is clearly not that, and you need to take a deep cut to buy uncerted with visible inclusions IMO.

Beams

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone so far for your inputs, therefore this is probably a very low clarity diamond? Cut looks wonky, that doesn't sound good, I'm a complete amateur and would never have seen that.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks warmer than a G color too.

Beams

Rough_Rock
Would you all suggest that I do not buy this diamond? Is it very low grade? In real life it sparkles like crazy and looks nice and bright in colour especially compared to the ring beside it . It's also an antique so old cut, is that why it looks wonky? He is looking for $11,500 for it, is this a very bad investment with too many inclusions (I only see one so maybe help me see the others)

Also, I want to go with this size and get close to a H/g colour, to keep the cost low what should I compromise on? Presuming you all think the diamond above is not worth it's money and has too many flaws?

Beams

Rough_Rock
All I have to let the seller know later today, what do you all think? Very bad purchase? Too flawed and others would also notice?

Beams

Rough_Rock
All I have to let the seller know later today, what do you all think? Very bad purchase? Too flawed and others would also notice?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most people on this board rank cut and performance as top priority and that diamond obviously does not meet Pricescope standards there. Color and clarity are matters of personal preference. I'd say pass and put that money into a smaller but better performing stone. I.D. Jewelry and B2C Jewels are Pricescope vendors who find nice stones to fit budgets.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/preferred-specs-cheat-sheet-for-rounds.88548/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/preferred-specs-cheat-sheet-for-rounds.88548/[/URL]

http://niceice.com/diamond-buying-secrets/15-seconds-diamond-buying-success/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy...bad purchase. It doesn't look that antique to me (although it may be), it just looks like a bad cut. A stone without
a grading report usually goes at a much higher discount. Color/clarity may be way off from what the jeweler is stating.

For old stones you can look here...
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe if it was half that price? I cant say if other people would notice, but being that its so obvious in these photos they might. Plus, you will absolutely notice these IRL.

miraj

Rough_Rock
You are taking a merchant's word to spend $15k on something that you don't know much about! That's crazy to me. Bring the stone to an appraiser (or bring an appraiser to the stone). And/or get an ironclad 100% return policy in writing.

When you say "it sparkles like crazy" - even poorly cut stones sparkle under the jeweler's lights. Are you comparing it in the shadows, in natural daylight? Are you comparing it to a known-well-cut stone and a known-poorly-cut stone?

Ask to compare the stone side-by-side with a GIA-certed stone of higher and lower colors (and of the same size).

Inclusions-wise, if you can see it without magnification it's probably not VS2. You probably can't tell - this is where an appraiser can be especially helpful.

Forget pressure tactics ("you have to let me know today"). There are LOTS of diamonds out there for purchase. You're almost certainly not getting an amazing deal... you're probably getting taken for a ride.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't look like an antique cut stone to me, just poorly cut. If you view it away from the crazy jewellery store lights, is it still sparkly? Once you've seen a well cut stone, the difference will be obvious.

Beams

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, decision made, I appreciate all of your help

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results