shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Black crystal inclusion worse than advertised photo!!

Bella_Handada

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and just bought a diamond online for the first time. I will try to make the story shorter so please bear with me.

I just recently bought a cushion cut diamond from this reputable online seller. Stats: 1.07ct, G color, VS2 clarity, polish/symmetry: EX/VG, flour: none. The inclusion map shows a few crystals gathers located at between 11 and 12 o'clock, towards the end of the table. The stone looks promising on the GIA certificate and looks pretty clean on the advertised photo. As you can see below, the crystals look just like tiny fibers and the color is faded grey.

Upon chatting with their in-house diamond expert (who was very nice), she even agreed that this stone was the best choice compared to other stones I was considering. She said it is 100% eye clean and not crushed ice cushion, it even has bigger face size compare to same carat cushion diamond. I then asked for more photos and ASET image. But she said the supplier (in India) does not have more photos and could not provide the ASET image. I decided to pull the trigger because I didn't want to loose such a good catch. I then went back into contact with the diamond expert and she said she would email me more photos once the diamond arrived at their office for inspection.

After 2 weeks waiting (due to international bank wire and bad weather in New York, so I did not blame them), the diamond finally in their possession. I was chatting with the owner this time. He said that they don't have ASET equipment at their office but he is a 4th generation diamondier(?) and assured me that this diamond is very brilliant. I then asked whether it is crushed ice (just to be sure). He suddenly turned very defensive saying that why would he sell me a crushed ice diamond when his staff had already said it wasn't and he felt like I had called him a liar (whaattttt??? :confused: :confused: ). I did not bother to ask him more questions after that. I had gone to sleep before he emailed me the photos of the diamond (due to time difference).

I opened my email the next morning and had received 2 emails from them, one is for the photos and the other one is notification that the diamond had been dispatched. To my horror (!!!), the inclusion looks like a BIG FAT BLACK GLOB! Totally does not look like the advertised photo. Now, I am extremely nervous :???: !!!! The diamond due to arrive in a couple more days and I don't feel like talking to the owner anymore. What should I do???? What do you guys think about that inclusion? Will it be eye-clean???HELP!!!

gia-certified-1_07-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-diamond-dpl7z6_3.jpg inclusion_plot.png
seller_photo_1.png
seller_photo_2.png

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: HELP! Black crystal inclusion worse than advertised phot

The pics you're focusing on are magnified many times over; perhaps seeing again GIA's criteria for its clarity grades will be assurance that an eye-visible "BIG FAT BLACK GLOB" would not have resulted in a VS2 classification:
http://gia4cs.gia.edu/EN-US/diamond-clarity.htm
Of course, it's entirely possible that the stone won't please you in real life, but I'm hopeful that you checked the vendor's return-refund policy beforehand & that you won't suffer a financial penalty should you decide to send it back?

Bella_Handada

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your reply Molly Malone.

I chose VS2 because I read that it still should be "eye-clean" but won't be as expensive as VVS. But I am also concern by the difference between the advertised photo and real life photo. I am not sure which photo I should trust.

I don't blame the online seller though because I know the photo was supplied by their supplier.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is why I NEVER go for carbon spots, I can always see them. I would pass and keep on looking.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bella_Handada|1422802005|3825445 said:
Thanks for your reply Molly Malone.
I chose VS2 because I read that it still should be "eye-clean" but won't be as expensive as VVS. But I am also concern by the difference between the advertised photo and real life photo. I am not sure which photo I should trust
I don't blame the online seller though because I know the photo was supplied by their supplier.
You won't know until you have the diamond in hand, and even then, it may now have become a "mind clean" issue for you. Is it returnable for a full refund?

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I doubt you'll see those carbon bits in real life, but nonetheless I agree 100% with what Molly said above.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

To me it looks the photo just happened to be taken with the facet behind the inclusion darkened.

There's just no way to get a face on photo, backlit, that looks like the original image and have a huge black carbon spot. I think it's just the angle of the photo.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Hello Bella,

If the diamond is a GIA VS2 it will very likely be Eye-Clean. Because it has been shipped your largest concern should be the return policy - be familiar with the policy. Can you simply refuse shipment, do you have a 14 or 30 day window, etc...

Photos are very tricky things - don't put too much stock in what you are seeing in a photo that is magnified to a degree far greater than the naked eye. There are variations in shadow, lens positioning, computer monitors, etc.

My advice would be to look at the diamond in person before you make any determination. You may love it.

Bella_Handada

Rough_Rock

MollyMalone, RetroTreeGal, Asscherhalo_lover, kb1gra, Diamond_Hawk - Thank you for all of your feedback.

I just want to give you guys an update that I have received the diamond.

Turned out all of you are right!! I can't see the inclusion at all!! I tried to squint so hard and viewed it in all angles but still can't see anything.

As for brilliance - it looks really brilliant, at least for my amateur eyes. Definitely NOT crushed eyes.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase. Especially with the small budget that I had, this is as best as it could.

However, it would still be great to hear opinions from experts like you guys about the diamond. I will really appreciate it.

Please find the photos below. I took it with my Samsung Galaxy so it probably not an HD one but still clear.

20150204_214733_0.jpg
20150204_214459_resized_0.jpg 20150204_214226.jpg 20150204_214435_0.jpg 20150204_214418.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock

I'm so glad you are happy with your stone. It looks really nice! Post the finished setting please!

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock

Was this reputable online seller with the initials ED?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks lovely and very bright to me! From you pictures I think I would be happy!

Congratulations!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Glad it worked out! I'm not an expert, but that looks like a very pretty stone to me! I love the shape.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

You did great! It's a lovely stone! Congratulations and well done!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad it worked out! Carbon spots are my biggest no go but if you can't actually see them they don't matter! This one goes to show it never hurts to order the stone and see it in person, enjoy this beautiful diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results