shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, Best Value Combination?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mem4444

Rough_Rock
I am new to the diamond scene, and I have been browsing this forum for a while and it has been an excellent source of information, so thanks!

I am ready to get an engagement ring, but wanted to hear your take on a few things.

I have decided that cut is the most important so am planning on getting the best cut (probably via whiteflash). I also think that ~90 points is the most appropriate for my price range ~$5,500.

I am unsure of color. I have looked at some diamonds and can sometimes notice the difference in color, but to be honest it is tough for me to really see (I have mainly been comparing E, F and Gs). I think the combination of a top notch cut (whiteflash ACA, bluenile signature cut, etc.), G color and VS1/SI1 is the best value combination, but am really interested to see if any of you have any suggestions.

Any thoughts?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 5:07:59 PM
Author:mem4444
I am unsure of color. I have looked at some diamonds and can sometimes notice the difference in color, but to be honest it is tough for me to really see (I have mainly been comparing E, F and Gs). I think the combination of a top notch cut (whiteflash ACA, bluenile signature cut, etc.), G color and VS1/SI1 is the best value combination, but am really interested to see if any of you have any suggestions.
Some thoughts on your color. Are the stones you looked at all graded by GIA/AGS? Other labs are generally considered looser on the color and clarity grading. This could account for you sometimes being able to see the difference. Another thing is cut, an ideal cut stone is less likely to show it's body color than a lesser cut.

Look at this video comparing colors with all ideal cuts.
http://vimeo.com/3288695

I would considering going down to H at least.

mem4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks. All the stones I''ve looked at have been either GIA or AGS certified. I guess my thought was just to go for quality over size especially with the cut, but I am not really sure about the size vs color/clarity trade off.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on your choice of cut.. RB/EC/Princess/Radiant/Cushion? Clarity-wise I'd go for eyeclean SI from reputable vendors, or VS if I'm playing it safer or if I'm picking an EC since they don't hide flaws as well as brilliant cuts.

Generally, you can go lower on both color and clarity to maximise carat. Or go lower on clarity and higher in color though the trade off isn't exactly 1:1. If you're getting it for yourself, color could be a matter of preference. If you're getting it for your GF, do you know if she's ok with the warmer ivory white colors like I,J,K? If you have little info, G/VS is not the best but certainly a very safe choice for most.

mem4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I''m looking at round diamonds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 5:07:59 PM
Author:mem4444
I am new to the diamond scene, and I have been browsing this forum for a while and it has been an excellent source of information, so thanks!

I am ready to get an engagement ring, but wanted to hear your take on a few things.

I have decided that cut is the most important so am planning on getting the best cut (probably via whiteflash). I also think that ~90 points is the most appropriate for my price range ~$5,500.

Any thoughts?
If you are unsure check out some Peerless AGS0 from Jareds if there is one closeby or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer near you. That way you will be comparing diamonds of known cut quality and grading to get a good idea of your colour preferences.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think G-H, VS2-SI1 is a very nice, safe range. (assuming the latter is eyeclean)

mem4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Great idea to go and look at some hearts on fire to compare colors, though all the hearts on fire looked pretty good to me!

I was originally thinking a tiffany setting either 18k white gold or platinum (probably 6 prong) was what I was going to go with. But I am starting to think that something around 1 carat looks a little better with a setting that has the very small tapered diamonds around the ring (not sure what the technical name is!). Is the setting purely style and preference, or is a 1 carat stone considered too small for something around 90-100 points?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My personal sweet spot is H/SI. It is still very safely white and many SI stones are perfectly eye clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 3:45:21 PM
Author: mem4444
Thanks. Great idea to go and look at some hearts on fire to compare colors, though all the hearts on fire looked pretty good to me!

I was originally thinking a tiffany setting either 18k white gold or platinum (probably 6 prong) was what I was going to go with. But I am starting to think that something around 1 carat looks a little better with a setting that has the very small tapered diamonds around the ring (not sure what the technical name is!). Is the setting purely style and preference, or is a 1 carat stone considered too small for something around 90-100 points?
Do you mean baguettes? Two rectangular - ish shaped diamonds which sit either side of the centre diamond?

mem4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'm trying to compare a few stones at Whiteflash.

1) ACA .922 ct, H, VS2. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982359.htm

2) ACA, .898 ct, G, SI2 http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982387.htm#

3) Expert, 1.08 ct, H, SI2. http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2105158.htm#

I've attached the ideal scope for the expert. Is the expert a cut that is close to the ACA in quality? I know both are solid cuts just am trying to wrap my head around the difference between ACA vs expert.

idealscopeexpert1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results