shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Are These Girdle Feathers Durability Risk?

Gnmu

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at a VS2 2-carat diamond, which otherwise looks absolutely perfect, but it has these numerous feathers on the girdle that are a bit scary looking.

Do these feathers pose a durability risk, or are they small enough to be ok? The grade setting inclusion are the table inclusions, and the second are the feathers.

untitled (1).png

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't think anyone will come on the forum and tell you that there is no durability risk - but that is true for most any diamond. Even the most sturdy diamonds, if hit "just-so" on an edge could, in fact, chip or crack.

Do remember that this diamond has gone through cleaving, bruting and polishing that includes white-hot temperatures. Nothing you will expose it to day-to-day will be as rigorous as the process it went through to create the diamond it is today. When you are talking about a diamond with a lab-report indicating VS2 (GIA?) the risk is simply not one I, personally, would be concerned with. If you were to get into the SI2 range, with the feathers being the grade setting inclusion, I might start to worry a bit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results