shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: are these diamonds worth its value?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

overwhelmed

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm considering these two diamonds, can you please tell me if they are worth their price and if the difference between their quality worth the difference in price (both are round brilliant cut)?

Choice A:
=========
1 carat, E, VVS2, Cut grade: excellent, polish: excellent, symmetry: excellent, no fluorescence
table: 56%, depth: 61.2%, crown angle: 35.0, pavillion angle: 40.8

$9000 USD

Choice B:
=========
1.01 caret, E, VS2, cut grade: very good, polish: excellent, symmetry: excellent, fluorescence: medium blue
table: 54%, depth: 60.9%, crown angle:33.0, pavillion angle: 40.6

$6800 USD

Using the cut advisor, it seems like both are "excellent" in all category except spread (both are very good) -- but the first one is in the excellent/ideal range for both AGS/GIA. The first one scores 1.5 while the second (cheaper) one scores 0.8... Are these good for its value? Is the first one much superior to the second one, enough to justify a 2200 difference? If the first one is more superior, why does the visual performance index in the cut advisor gives a less desirable score?

Thank you!!!!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
first stone is better for use in a ring.

Find another stone if 1 is too expensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2007 8:34:46 PM
Author:overwhelmed
Hi,

I''m considering these two diamonds, can you please tell me if they are worth their price and if the difference between their quality worth the difference in price (both are round brilliant cut)?

Choice A:
=========
1 carat, E, VVS2, Cut grade: excellent, polish: excellent, symmetry: excellent, no fluorescence
table: 56%, depth: 61.2%, crown angle: 35.0, pavillion angle: 40.8

$9000 USD

Choice B:
=========
1.01 caret, E, VS2, cut grade: very good, polish: excellent, symmetry: excellent, fluorescence: medium blue
table: 54%, depth: 60.9%, crown angle:33.0, pavillion angle: 40.6

$6800 USD

Using the cut advisor, it seems like both are ''excellent'' in all category except spread (both are very good) -- but the first one is in the excellent/ideal range for both AGS/GIA. The first one scores 1.5 while the second (cheaper) one scores 0.8... Are these good for its value? Is the first one much superior to the second one, enough to justify a 2200 difference? If the first one is more superior, why does the visual performance index in the cut advisor gives a less desirable score?

Thank you!!!!!
The 1st diamond is best suited for a ring (I agree with JulieN) between the two diamonds you posted and would be my pick if I had to choose between the two. What makes it pricier is the VVS2 grading, and the 2nd stone is also probably cheaper because of the fluorescence (but I love fluorescence).

That said, I''d pass on the first because I don''t want to pay for something I can''t see (vs2 is already eyeclean enough). Diamond #2 is a pretty diamond and could be very nice to your eyes. The 0.8 HCA score tells me that it tends to be more for those with "poorer" eyesight and is know as an "older person''s" diamond. I believe Gary explains it here: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ideal.asp However, it you are picky, then I''d keep on looking.

overwhelmed

Rough_Rock
Thank you to both of you! It really helps. Since the diamond is going on an e-ring and it''s for my young girlfriend =), I guess the first diamond is a better choice. Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results