shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP APPRAISER IN INDIANA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
here at pricescope and other places i cannot find an appraiser in indiana...could that be true!!! Help if anyone knows any other places to look!!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
There's one in Chicago. Maybe the one in Birmingham, MI?? How about Ohio??

Would it be too far to drive to any of those??

Another thought is to check the local phone book for appraisers in your area. Keep in mind that they cannot sell jewelry. If you find one, submit the info to the Vendor for review.
1.gif

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
chicago is about 4 hours away, michigan is about 3 hours to the most southern border, and it is about 2 hours to cincinnatti OH which is at the western edge of OH. I guess there is one in northbrook IL which is the closest at about 2 1/2 hours away. Is that normal not to have any independant appraisers in your area, or even your state! Well it will be a fun road trip. there is a jewlery store that the appraiser their said that she would do an independant appraisal and that the diamond could be shipped directly to her, while the others said that they would not want the responsibility of having the diamond in their posession and having not paid for it...i guess i understand. All of the jewlery appraisers in the phone book were at jewelry stores, while the pother appraisers listed were for antiques, real estate etc. If you are doing an insurance appraisal...is their someone at insurance companies that is accredited to do that, or do you have to have an independant one done and submit it to them? Really know nothing about the process...i'm sure their are some threads about it.. i'll have to look!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
When I was going thru buying the first time, there wasn't an independent appraiser in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Not even one close either. The only larger metro area from St. Louis to heavens knows where in any direction and no appraiser! Unreal. I decided to go the preview route, made an appointment with a local GG in advance so the timing was right, and had the diamond shipped to me. That worked fine!
2.gif

We finally got a PS approved, independent appraiser in our area! Yaayyyy!!
appl.gif

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
I decided to go the preview route, made an appointment with a local GG in advance so the timing was right, and had the diamond shipped to me. That worked fine!

i don't know what a gg is...can you enlighten me!!! I don't really know what the "preview" route is...buy it and have it shipped to you, then return it if you don't like it?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
GG is a Graduate Gemologist. When you buy from a Vendor, they have a "No Questions Asked" return period. Generally 7 to 10 days and some go as much as 30 days. The time starts from the time you receive the package and runs for the FULL number of 24 hour periods,.... 7, 10, or 30. The Vendor will usually email you with the details of your time period and say something like, "You must notify us by close of business on February 28, 2004 if you wish to return the diamond."

What I did was pay for the diamond and had it shipped to me. I had an appointment scheduled the next day after receipt with a GG for a Cert Verification and evaluation. You said you found several that would do an evaluation but did not want to be responsible for an unpaid diamond. So finding a GG won't be a problem. Then you have the Return period to view the diamond in lots of different lighting, at home, where ever, even compare it with settings you might have in mind.

If you decide not to keep the diamond, you just notify the Vendor per their instructions (in writing, a phone call, what ever the Vendor requires), get a Return Authorization and return shipping instructions, and ship the diamond back to the Vendor. The Vendors are very good about making refunds in a very timely manner.
1.gif

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while and can't find my answer, so here I am...

Can I go to a jeweler for an apprasial? (No officail appraisers in Indiana).

And...

What is this GG? And how do I find one in Indiana?

Thanks for any help!!
wavey.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A GG should be a graduate Gemologist(GIA). A gg might just be a good guesser.
naughty.gif

An appraiser should be a member of one of the recognized appraisal organizations. NAJA, ISA, ASA, or AGS since the GG diploma does not make a person qualifed as an appraiser. Although, anyone can say they are an appraiser whether they are qualified or not.

So be careful and get a list of credentials, experience and references..

Thanks David.

But I'm wondering...Is it possible to find a jeweler who will appraise a stone that I buy online (Taking advantage of the 10 day period as described above)? Of course I'm willing to pay that jeweler whatever it might cost.

I don't have any "Appraisers" close, but there are a number of jewelers close. Thus my question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results