shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Appraisal needed

lolhalo

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I need help with this :confused: :confused: !! The ring is selling for USD12k, do you think i can bring down the price?

I am looking to a purchase diamond ring with an inhouse certificate. It states that the stone is 1.2Carat F-V2. The stone is already in the setting.

I am abit apprehensive to the clarity of the stone. I reckon it might actually be an SI1 or maybe even an SI2 clarity.. The colour looks ok to me though.. maybe an F-G colour?

Please find attached a few photos for your kind perusal

:read: A zoomed-in picture of the inclusion

Out in the sun!

Thank you :D

_1104.png

zoomed_in.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
does the seller provide the GIA/AGS grade report??
If no report or a report from non GIA/AGS lab, keep shopping, although.... I think it is rather pretty for a busy looking ring with a double halo and two tone metals.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you could have it made for about $10k with a GIA Graded H/SI1. $4k for the setting and about $6k for the stone.

This setting
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-ring-platinum-double-halo-ring-custom-made-large-so3271
or this setting with a pink halo added in
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-ring-hand-forged-split-double-shank-halo-so4917

This stone (better cut and GIA graded)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-1047639

So what is an ungraded 1.2 oval worth? Not sure...I have no access to info that would help me figure that out. Maybe someone
else can comment. I'm thinking half the price as a graded stone but I have nothing to base that on.

I AM NOT AN APPRAISER...not yelling :cheeky: , just wanted to make sure you understood that...just doing some detective work.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fundamentally this is a grading question. The seller has made some claims, you don't believe them, and they can't/won't provide anything that convinces you.

The way the pros deal with this is simple enough although it rarely ends in a deal. First, ignore any grading you find unreliable. Don't just discount it, ignore it. All of it. Ignore also everything that's downstream of the grades, like the price too. If you're a competent grader, grade it yourself within limits of things like lighting, cleaning, the mounting, tools available, time pressure and so on, Understand your limits and assume the worst. If you can't decide if it's 1.00 or 1.20cts, assume 1.00 for example. If you can't decide if it's F or H, go with H. Sellers tend to go the other way but remember, the burden is on them to defend their grades, not you. If you're not a competent grader yourself, hire someone else who is. Hire someone who is working for you, not the seller and, as with the above, the burden is on them to convince you that their opinions have merit. Easy peasy.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1460642835|4019217 said:
Fundamentally this is a grading question. The seller has made some claims, you don't believe them, and they can't/won't provide anything that convinces you.

The way the pros deal with this is simple enough although it rarely ends in a deal. First, ignore any grading you find unreliable. Don't just discount it, ignore it. All of it. Ignore also everything that's downstream of the grades, like the price too. If you're a competent grader, grade it yourself within limits of things like lighting, cleaning, the mounting, tools available, time pressure and so on, Understand your limits and assume the worst. If you can't decide if it's 1.00 or 1.20cts, assume 1.00 for example. If you can't decide if it's F or H, go with H. Sellers tend to go the other way but remember, the burden is on them to defend their grades, not you. If you're not a competent grader yourself, hire someone else who is. Hire someone who is working for you, not the seller and, as with the above, the burden is on them to convince you that their opinions have merit. Easy peasy.

Neil, as always, with excellent advice. The seller has the burden of proof. Period.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results