Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique cut

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Hi Everyone,

I am considering if I want to go from an MRB to an OEC or AVR. I can only have one, and I would likely end up wearing only one anyway. For those of you who have transitioned, any regrets or never looked back? Do you mind sharing how you see your OEC now after having worn it for a while? Do you notice more tint? Do you see more colors and reflections at different locations, time of day? I'm trying to understand how people have observed how their OEC "acts" after wearing it. Do you like it more/less than your MRB? What color MRB did you have and what color OEC did you get? Do you like/dislike/notice the difference in color and how do you feel about it? Would you go back? Sorry for the long question and thank you so much to those who are willing to share.
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

I have no idea, but I have always suspected I wouldn't like the old cuts as much as MRB. My understanding is that MRBs - especially super-ideal cuts - sparkle much more, being the product of the latest cutting techniques. You might miss your super-sparkly MRB, but perhaps others here who have had both can advise you. I think the antique cuts are something of a trend on here, and I've never really understood it because I thought MRBs are supposed to give the maximum sparkle. I think the modern antique cuts like DS's Yoram-cut 2.29 ring are possibly an exception. But I'm sure others can advise you better. I'm just saying that my own instinct is that I'd definitely regret such a switch, but that's JMO.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
33,957
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Hey LLJSmom. :wavey:
You and I have discussed this but will post here just so you can have different opinions in one place. You know it comes down to personal taste but having said that here are my thoughts.

IMO You need an OEC or AVR that is at least J or higher in color. And I think you would do best with a newly cut precision cut "OEC" and not a genuine OEC or other old cut diamond. You have a need for precision optics and I think any less would not make you as happy as you could be with your new diamond.

Personally I have had Bea for 3 years next week and I couldn't be happier with this ring. It's the longest I have ever felt satiated with any of my ERs and I don't see that changing any time soon. For me the lower colors bring a depth to the facets that I don't see in the higher color OECs. Remember that G color OEC Adam showed us this past October? It felt flat to me. The jkl colors are my sweet spot for OECs and I like higher clarity.. VS is my sweet spot there. Everyone has a different sweet spot though and it's just knowing what yours is and understanding why do so you don't make a mistake.

Why I prefer OECs over MRBs...
The chunky facets
The broad flashes of colored light
The romantic feel I get from the old stones
The stones have a softer broad flash of light that positively glows from within that I have never seen in an MRB. It's positively hypnotic.

Old cut stones each have a different personality and each one feels (to me) unique. The way an MRB could never be IMO. I see one beautiful MRB and appreciate it but generally once I see one they all look fairly similar. The ideal cut MRBs that is. Not dissing MRBs. I love them too but for different reasons and I don't love them the way I love OECs and that is why for me I have an OEC ER. It took me a while to know what my heart wanted but finally I got it right.
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

missy|1454087196|3983590 said:
Hey LLJSmom. :wavey:
You and I have discussed this but will post here just so you can have different opinions in one place. You know it comes down to personal taste but having said that here are my thoughts.

IMO You need an OEC or AVR that is at least J or higher in color. And I think you would do best with a newly cut precision cut "OEC" and not a genuine OEC or other old cut diamond. You have a need for precision optics and I think any less would not make you as happy as you could be with your new diamond.

Personally I have had Bea for 3 years next week and I couldn't be happier with this ring. It's the longest I have ever felt satiated with any of my ERs and I don't see that changing any time soon. For me the lower colors bring a depth to the facets that I don't see in the higher color OECs. Remember that G color OEC Adam showed us this past October? It felt flat to me. The jkl colors are my sweet spot for OECs and I like higher clarity.. VS is my sweet spot there. Everyone has a different sweet spot though and it's just knowing what yours is and understanding why do so you don't make a mistake.

Why I prefer OECs over MRBs...
The chunky facets
The broad flashes of colored light
The romantic feel I get from the old stones
The stones have a softer broad flash of light that positively glows from within that I have never seen in an MRB. It's positively hypnotic.

Old cut stones each have a different personality and each one feels (to me) unique. The way an MRB could never be IMO. I see one beautiful MRB and appreciate it but generally once I see one they all look fairly similar. The ideal cut MRBs that is. Not dissing MRBs. I love them too but for different reasons and I don't love them the way I love OECs and that is why for me I have an OEC ER. It took me a while to know what my heart wanted but finally I got it right.
Missy, thank you so much for posting. Even though we talked about it, reading it again is so helpful. I think I could be happy with an OEC because I remember seeing a J OEC at singlestone that I have never forgotten and I think about and stare at all the time.



I love this stone and I swear I wore it around the store for at least an hour. At the back of my mind I think of that as my dream ring, setting, stone, everything. I think I have an unreasoning fear of straying away from the mainstream. I think I have to pay another visit to Adam, some time in 2016. Do you think he will be able to find me one I will love as much as the one I saw at SS? I could not afford that one.

_916.png
 

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
3,742
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

I have an ideal cut MRB, an old genuine OEC and an AVR - I can say I like the AVR / OEC better. I too have a "need" for great light return, which the AVR delivers, and the OEC is pretty good too. I happen to prefer the colored light return and softer look of the rounded facets of the old cuts. Do MRB's "sparkle more"? Maybe - if you are counting tiny sparkles. But they are just that - smaller and more splintery, and quite honestly not as interesting to me any more. The AVR is bright and lively - great white light like the MRB but also has a rainbow effect you just don't see in (my) MRB.

If you can, I'd recommend seeing an AVR in person. Order one - live with it a while - and send it back if it isn't "the one". I came here thinking an ideal MRB was the be all end all, but the AVR proved me wrong. :)
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,630
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

I guess I am a good one to answer this as well! After having a H&A perfectly cut diamond, I knew I could only go to a very top cut OEC or an AVR. For me, having beautiful symmetry and cut is a sign of the finest craftsmanship whether it was cut 100 years ago or yesterday, and I value that. I certainly was special to me to get a stone cut by Yorman and Co.

I think your problem will be going from an F down to a lower color. My original e-ring was also F and then I went to G-H ideal cuts. I could see the color difference but the pricing suited me better! The AVR is perfection as to cut, so beautiful, but it was an adjustment for me to go to I color. I waited for a higher color for a long time, but he just wasn't getting any in the size range (color and clarity) I wanted. It is white most of the time except when it picks up environmental tint. Jon has a 2 ct E SI1 right now that might be a good one to look at just for facet pattern, but I'd try to get one close to the size you'd be aiming for regardless of color. If you decide to have one cut, I will discuss specifics about cut with you before you do that. Mine has a good spread but some are cut too deep, in my opinion, which hurts the diameter. That will be true of some OECs as well.

I have been helping a friend look for an OEC from OWD for several weeks. She had several stones sent to her in colors around J and lower. She had a lower color for a couple of weeks and decided she just couldn't go that low because she realized that lower colors show up as less bright. She has waited and other stones have been shown to her, but finding one with a beautiful cut in a higher color has been difficult. So she is pretty much back to ideal cut rounds in the H-I color range at this point. OECs used to cost less than excellent cut rounds, but the prices are high now (as high and higher than ex/ideal cut rounds). So my advice would be to either hold out for a H-I OEC with a very fine cut or go for an AVR if you decide to change.

You know last year I upgraded my WF ACA studs rather than go to OECs because I felt they'd show better on the ears from a distance. So I do still love and appreciate H&A stones as well. I am very afraid that I'd regret giving up the AVR, though.

Ideally, I would have my classic set with a H&A ideal cut stone in my Tiffany repro setting and also have the AVR in an antique style setting. Plus I'd also have an antique EC or elongated asscher and an AVC/antique cushion, while I am dreaming! All would be G-H color and VS1 clarity! I envy those who have the "one ring to rule them all", but I love more than one kind of diamond, so I will always be looking at other stones, even though I have one I already love! (However, I do NOT do that with men, only one husband for me! :lol: )
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

HI ecf,

Thanks for your input. Interesting that you have all three, and that you like the OEC/AVR. I have a little J .58 AVR on a pendant. So I took it off and gluedotted it to my finger right next to my MRB to see if I liked it. It's super small so I don't see the tint at all. I have a feeling I would really like it but am not confident enough to say for sure until I have worn it for a month or so. I wish I could borrow someone's for a month to determine whether I really like it.
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

DS, thank you so much for responding to this thread. I was really hoping you and Missy both would.

So interesting that you are looking for a friend right now. I am not that sure that the tint would bother me. I could be wrong. I do really love that SS stone. I wish I could wear one around for a month so I can be sure. I know the sparkle pattern is so different from a MRB.

I will mull over this for a while, and I wouldn't be doing anything for most of 2016.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,630
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Would you be selling your current stone to do it? It would be a big loss to not use that setting.

I wish you had thought of this earlier because Caysie had my ring in CA for a few months until I became unsure about resetting it! You could have borrowed it during that time easily!

What size stone would you want?
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

diamondseeker2006|1454125796|3983897 said:
Would you be selling your current stone to do it? It would be a big loss to not use that setting.

I wish you had thought of this earlier because Caysie had my ring in CA for a few months until I became unsure about resetting it! You could have borrowed it during that time easily!

What size stone would you want?
I would have to trade in my current stone to get it. If I do go the OEC route I would want to move up to 3.5. I am not sure what I would do with the setting. I might keep it and give it to my mom. Or I might save it for my daughter. Or sell. Who knows???

Such a bummer that I didn't know you gorgeous stone was available for a real life look see. I don't think GOG would do a trade in right? OWD will.
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,520
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Grace might do a trade as well. Have you thought of owning a transitional stone? Best of both worlds IMHO if you are colour sensitive you need a J or higher possibly an I or higher in an old cut and if you want max light return either a new old cut, a top performing OEC or an transitional might be the way to go, my transitional has a bigger broader scintillation pattern like an OEC but big fat arrows that under shop and inside lighting give a well cut MRB a run for the money too.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
33,957
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

LLJsmom|1454088437|3983600 said:
missy|1454087196|3983590 said:
Hey LLJSmom. :wavey:
You and I have discussed this but will post here just so you can have different opinions in one place. You know it comes down to personal taste but having said that here are my thoughts.

IMO You need an OEC or AVR that is at least J or higher in color. And I think you would do best with a newly cut precision cut "OEC" and not a genuine OEC or other old cut diamond. You have a need for precision optics and I think any less would not make you as happy as you could be with your new diamond.

Personally I have had Bea for 3 years next week and I couldn't be happier with this ring. It's the longest I have ever felt satiated with any of my ERs and I don't see that changing any time soon. For me the lower colors bring a depth to the facets that I don't see in the higher color OECs. Remember that G color OEC Adam showed us this past October? It felt flat to me. The jkl colors are my sweet spot for OECs and I like higher clarity.. VS is my sweet spot there. Everyone has a different sweet spot though and it's just knowing what yours is and understanding why do so you don't make a mistake.

Why I prefer OECs over MRBs...
The chunky facets
The broad flashes of colored light
The romantic feel I get from the old stones
The stones have a softer broad flash of light that positively glows from within that I have never seen in an MRB. It's positively hypnotic.

Old cut stones each have a different personality and each one feels (to me) unique. The way an MRB could never be IMO. I see one beautiful MRB and appreciate it but generally once I see one they all look fairly similar. The ideal cut MRBs that is. Not dissing MRBs. I love them too but for different reasons and I don't love them the way I love OECs and that is why for me I have an OEC ER. It took me a while to know what my heart wanted but finally I got it right.
Missy, thank you so much for posting. Even though we talked about it, reading it again is so helpful. I think I could be happy with an OEC because I remember seeing a J OEC at singlestone that I have never forgotten and I think about and stare at all the time.



I love this stone and I swear I wore it around the store for at least an hour. At the back of my mind I think of that as my dream ring, setting, stone, everything. I think I have an unreasoning fear of straying away from the mainstream. I think I have to pay another visit to Adam, some time in 2016. Do you think he will be able to find me one I will love as much as the one I saw at SS? I could not afford that one.
Yes I do. As long as Adam has enough time to find what you are looking for I have little doubt he would be able to find you just the right OEC. Remember what Yekutiel told us? That Adam was the one to go to for old cut diamonds period. He could get what no other vendor can get according to Y and I believe that. He has connections far and wide and I am very hopeful that as long as you give him enough time he can get you want you want. And I think you have a reasonable budget and that a 3.5 J (at least) is doable with the details you have shared with me.

And I am super excited about another visit in 2016. Just saying. :appl: :bigsmile:
 

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
218
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Hi LLJsmom,
Funny you ask this question, as it is one I mulled over recently. I currently own 2 diamonds-- started with a 1.7 G MRB and recently added a 3.07 K OEC. I find that I reach for the OEC more days of the week. I wear the MRB when I am consciously looking for something more understated. So size is a significant confounding factor for me. If both stones were the same size, which would I reach for more? I'm not sure but it might possibly be the OEC. The OEC's larger chunkier facets are mesmerizing and the lack of "precision" has a certain charm and uniqueness to it, IMO. I asked DH which he prefers and he likened it to his watches. He has an Apple Watch that "keeps time perfectly", and has dozens of useful functions and apps, but he loves his Tag automatic watches for its "engineering and craftsmanship."
Having said that, I have found that the OEC is harder to keep clean and is less forgiving of smudges.

I believe I have "met" your dream OEC from Singlestone, and it is indeed a gorgeous and stunning stone. Funny it was also the ring I was slowest to return back to the tray!
I'm attaching pictures to check if it's the same one?

_1689.jpeg

_1690.jpeg
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

mol42|1454174540|3984168 said:
Hi LLJsmom,
Funny you ask this question, as it is one I mulled over recently. I currently own 2 diamonds-- started with a 1.7 G MRB and recently added a 3.07 K OEC. I find that I reach for the OEC more days of the week. I wear the MRB when I am consciously looking for something more understated. So size is a significant confounding factor for me. If both stones were the same size, which would I reach for more? I'm not sure but it might possibly be the OEC. The OEC's larger chunkier facets are mesmerizing and the lack of "precision" has a certain charm and uniqueness to it, IMO. I asked DH which he prefers and he likened it to his watches. He has an Apple Watch that "keeps time perfectly", and has dozens of useful functions and apps, but he loves his Tag automatic watches for its "engineering and craftsmanship."
Having said that, I have found that the OEC is harder to keep clean and is less forgiving of smudges.

I believe I have "met" your dream OEC from Singlestone, and it is indeed a gorgeous and stunning stone. Funny it was also the ring I was slowest to return back to the tray!
I'm attaching pictures to check if it's the same one?
That's the one mol. Stunning stone right?? If they offered me a trade I would have done it right there. But come on. It's SS and no way would they do that...

Thanks for sharing. I also see a gorgeous K on VC's site, but it's smaller and I really don't think I would be at peace having two stones and knowing one would not be worn much. It's too expensive a purchase not to wear if you know what I mean. Do you one posting pics of your two stones?
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,536
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

From an aesthetic perspective I adore all of the above! AVRs, true old OECs with nice light play, MRBs...

You know I was recently looking for a stone ::) I started with OECs, thinking they'd be cheaper than nicely cut MRBs, and goodness I was wrong!! OECs are hugely popular and very expensive right now and modern brilliants are barely starting to recover from last year's retail slump; the beautifully cut (but non-branded) MRB I chose was actually cheaper than lower-colour/smaller-diameter OECs from our more popular antiques vendors :errrr:

If you aren't in a particular hurry I'd recommend holding out for a few more months - I'm confident your MRB will be worth considerably more later this year, in either sale or trade! I do feel non-precision-cut old cuts have hit peak pricing - I think if they go up any further popularity is going to nosedive. I also feel (being completely honest...) AVRs are gorgeous but the premiums have broken the stratosphere the past couple of years...
 

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
218
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

LLJsmom said:
mol42|1454174540|3984168 said:
Hi LLJsmom,
Funny you ask this question, as it is one I mulled over recently. I currently own 2 diamonds-- started with a 1.7 G MRB and recently added a 3.07 K OEC. I find that I reach for the OEC more days of the week. I wear the MRB when I am consciously looking for something more understated. So size is a significant confounding factor for me. If both stones were the same size, which would I reach for more? I'm not sure but it might possibly be the OEC. The OEC's larger chunkier facets are mesmerizing and the lack of "precision" has a certain charm and uniqueness to it, IMO. I asked DH which he prefers and he likened it to his watches. He has an Apple Watch that "keeps time perfectly", and has dozens of useful functions and apps, but he loves his Tag automatic watches for its "engineering and craftsmanship."
Having said that, I have found that the OEC is harder to keep clean and is less forgiving of smudges.

I believe I have "met" your dream OEC from Singlestone, and it is indeed a gorgeous and stunning stone. Funny it was also the ring I was slowest to return back to the tray!
I'm attaching pictures to check if it's the same one?
That's the one mol. Stunning stone right?? If they offered me a trade I would have done it right there. But come on. It's SS and no way would they do that...

Thanks for sharing. I also see a gorgeous K on VC's site, but it's smaller and I really don't think I would be at peace having two stones and knowing one would not be worn much. It's too expensive a purchase not to wear if you know what I mean. Do you one posting pics of your two stones?
Yes the K on VC's site is a beauty!! I agree; I too want to wear my diamond ring and having two feels as if I'm neglecting one. That's why I'm considering converting the MRB to an earring (and finding a match) and then I can wear them all!
Here are some pictures of the 2 stones in comparison. The OEC has SBF and the second shot is in the sunlight. I see slight tint from the profile view and sometimes in the center of the stone when looking straight down at it.
The last shot is indoors at dusk with no other light source (excuse the dry hands- need to find lotion fast!)
Hope that helps :wavey:

_1693.jpeg

_1694.jpeg

_1696.jpeg
 

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
923
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

No regrets here. I went from a 1.3 F VS1 nearly ideal cut MRB to a J SI2 AVR. I will say that I love the chunky flashes on my AVR. The only thing I wish is that the clarity was higher, but I can live with it for now. DH says the beauty mark makes it easy to identify if someone ever tried to switch it out. The AVR has definitely caught people's attention - at the baseball game, lying down for an x-ray.

If I ever upgrade, it will likely be to a larger AVR or an AVC. MRB's are nice, but most people in my demographic have MRBs, modern cushions, or princess cuts, and not a chunky cushion or OEC. I still feel that most people get MRB and know little about these antique or modern antique cuts outside of Pricescope and the jewelry community. So, I like to buck the trend and be a little different. However, having the modern OEC has made it a little hard to find a wedding band to pair with it since most places carry bands with MRBs unless I buy online or make my way to Lang's or Eric Trabert. I didn't like the look of the AVR with the MRBs - the difference was too noticeable for me side by side. However...if I ever get those diamond huggies, I would opt for them with MRB stones.

As for color, I have learned that I am not color sensitive. I almost went with a 2.1 L VVS2 AVC, but couldn't feel I could justify the overkill in clarity. I must have a high J, since the local jeweler lists it as an H-I in the setting when I brought it in for sizing. I think the appraiser also said that OEC also masked the J tint (and she's also color sensitive) fairly well. My F had absolutely no tint in side view, but I still barely notice any tint on the J in the same angle. I feel that the J color is better suited for my skin tone as well. Unfortunately, as you guys know, my F is missing (somewhere in my house hopefully), so I can't compare the two side by side.

Mol42, I love that K OEC!
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,536
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

mol I fall harder for your ring every time I see it. Oh my goodness, it's... :love:

Can you post a couple hundred more pictures? Pretty please? :bigsmile: And can I ask where your plain band in the last picture is from?
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Can I just say how awesome you guys are, mol, Yssie. Thank you for helping me try to figure this out and looking at this from different directions. Thank you mol for those comparison pics. They are so helpful. Truly. I am trying my best to be strategic about it. I really want a tester. I may buy a small one with a vendor that will allow me to do a trade in at a later date.
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,520
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Ask Adam if he would do what Erica at Love Affair does, you pay him for a ring as an on loan trial that you wear for a week and then give it back again for a full refund, if not try Erica for the same purpose. Or do you know any P/Sers that will let you walk around with one of their rings for a day or so? You might also be able to get something from any of these vendors under a x amount of days trial period to again wear see what you think and then get a full refund less postage or some sort of small fee, that way you can test the waters so to speak.
 

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 28, 2013
Messages
2,644
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

mol, that's a gorgeous ring! (Are you a Douglas Adams fan? I noticed you also have "42" in your user name :) )

I'm following this thread with interest. Right now, I have a vintage OEC (1.7ct K) and a smaller AVR (0.7ct G). I'm hoping to upgrade the AVR later this year or early next year, but even though I love the AVR cut, I don't know if I can justify 2 large vintage cut diamonds, so I'm thinking of trading it in for a ideal cut H&A instead. My ideal would be a transitional diamond because I like slightly chunkier arrows but I don't think GOG carries that type of cut. I thought I didn't like modern cut RBs because of the splintery facets, but that was before I saw ideal cut diamonds. :)
 

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
218
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

LLJsmom said:
Can I just say how awesome you guys are, mol, Yssie. Thank you for helping me try to figure this out and looking at this from different directions. Thank you mol for those comparison pics. They are so helpful. Truly. I am trying my best to be strategic about it. I really want a tester. I may buy a small one with a vendor that will allow me to do a trade in at a later date.
Glad to help! Let me know if there is anything else you need. I feel your pain; it's too bad we don't have a "sisterhood of the traveling OEC" to share :wink2:
 

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
218
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Yssie|1454200618|3984376 said:
mol I fall harder for your ring every time I see it. Oh my goodness, it's... :love:

Can you post a couple hundred more pictures? Pretty please? :bigsmile: And can I ask where your plain band in the last picture is from?
Hi Yssie- my band is from Tiffany. It's the 1.7mm round band in platinum.
Here are some more pictures as requested: (in the last picture, I was trying on the metro ring at Tiffany's with my set.)

_1704.jpeg

_1705.jpeg

_1706.jpeg
 

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
218
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

mochiko42|1454207963|3984412 said:
mol, that's a gorgeous ring! (Are you a Douglas Adams fan? I noticed you also have "42" in your user name :) )

I'm following this thread with interest. Right now, I have a vintage OEC (1.7ct K) and a smaller AVR (0.7ct G). I'm hoping to upgrade the AVR later this year or early next year, but even though I love the AVR cut, I don't know if I can justify 2 large vintage cut diamonds, so I'm thinking of trading it in for a ideal cut H&A instead. My ideal would be a transitional diamond because I like slightly chunkier arrows but I don't think GOG carries that type of cut. I thought I didn't like modern cut RBs because of the splintery facets, but that was before I saw ideal cut diamonds. :)
Hi Mochiko- Good catch!! :appl: I got married on 10/10/10, which is binary for 42, which is the "meaning of life" thus mol :wavey:
I can relate to having 2 different "flavors" in round shaped diamonds. I actually started out searching for antique cushions because it was a different shape from my MRB but they seem even harder to find. I know it's good to be patient but at some point I just decided to jump into the water so to speak. My stone can be traded back to Grace and I figured I could do that if I change my mind (or taste) in the future.

Sorry LLJsmom- for my thread jack :wavey:
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
33,957
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Beautiful rings mol42. :love: And it shows exactly what I love about OECs. They are gorgeous, unique and special in a way that speaks to some of us. :appl:
 

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
218
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

missy said:
Beautiful rings mol42. :love: And it shows exactly what I love about OECs. They are gorgeous, unique and special in a way that speaks to some of us. :appl:
Thanks Missy! Bea is gorgeous and you're right about the language of OECs.
I realized that I neglected to answer the original question.
I don't regret the color.
I don't regret the clarity.
I don't regret the cut.
I don't even regret the shape.
What I do regret is that I should have gone bigger. I looked for a 9-9.5mm stone but now think a 10mm would have been perfect. If I could go back in time that is what I would have told my 2015 self.

LLJsmom- good luck in your decision making. Im looking forward to what you find!!
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,536
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Thanks so much for posting those extra pics mol, and for the info on your band :)) the Margot is my first choice as well, and my stone is of similar size and colour, so it's very helpful to see your photos. And sorry for the threadjack LLJ, I promise we're done now!!

I, too, suspect I will be happiest with a larger stone; I think, however, unlike many I don't have a strong preference between OEC and MRB - I'd be happy with either, as long as the outline is round! LLJ I LOVE the idea of loaning one from one of our vendors for a week or two to see how you feel! Smaller OECs behave so differently from larger ones, they're like MRBs that way - it would be great if you could play with the size you're looking for for a bit :sun:
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

arkieb1|1454204888|3984397 said:
Ask Adam if he would do what Erica at Love Affair does, you pay him for a ring as an on loan trial that you wear for a week and then give it back again for a full refund, if not try Erica for the same purpose. Or do you know any P/Sers that will let you walk around with one of their rings for a day or so? You might also be able to get something from any of these vendors under a x amount of days trial period to again wear see what you think and then get a full refund less postage or some sort of small fee, that way you can test the waters so to speak.
Thanks arkieb1. :wavey: That is a really good idea. It may come to that.
 

LLJsmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
9,259
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. Threadjack away.

Mol, did you get that K from Adam at OWD? I saw a K that I loved, just over 3 carats. That might have been the one... :) It's funny that you said the only regret was not going bigger. I would love a 3.5, so that may take a while. Thank you again for the additional pictures. They are so helpful.

Yes, I am trying to decide whether I would like the OEC, day in and day out. Today, I loved my MRB during service, when the lights were dim. Sometimes in sunlight I don't love it. Do you think it's unreasonable to want to love your diamond in every lighting environment?

Here's the thing. If I go for an ideal cut, AVR or CAR (Victor's), I feel I am more limited as to what I can get, if I upgrade at some point in the future. I've been stalking their inventory for years, and they don't add much inventory to the higher carats much. I would love an I, J, K over 3 carats in the VS range. Even if they did, I could not get it without a trade in. But who is to say they won't right? OWD seems to have more options right now, meaning regularly, even if I could not buy until the end of the year, or beginning of next year. But I am not certain that I won't be bothered by the color over time, which I should be able to see and get used to within a couple of months.

Or I can go for a mid-range size 1-2, and wear that for a while just to see. If I did that with Adam, and if I decide that I like it, maybe at that point I can trade in my other stone for a big one. Do you guys think getting a one carat OEC would be big enough to give a good flavor of the way an OEC performs?
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
Re: Help...anyone regret going from MRB to OEC/AVR/antique c

Has anyone seen both AVRs and CARs in real life? I love the look of the small AVR tables but the CAR's cut looks more interesting. Which one has more broad flashes of colour light?

If I was to 'upgrade' I would love to get one of the new antique cuts.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top