shape
carat
color
clarity

Help and suggestions much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Varelse

Rough_Rock
First off I just have to say how incredible this place is. In the months that I''ve been lurking here I''ve learned so much and have seen some of the most intelligent, informed and helpful individuals posting. You guys are the best!

BACK STORY:
I''ve decided to take the next step and purpose to the love of my life, my GF of the last 8 months. While normally I would think this would be too soon, we were previously engaged and together for 7 years before circumstances tore us apart. It was over 10 years apart before we reunited and are now back to where we''ve both longed to be over the years... together forever and deeply in love.

WHERE I''M AT NOW:
I would love to purpose on Valentine''s Day and after a few months of learning and searching I am now facing the fact that I am coming dangerously down to the wire and am turning to you guys for help. I am working within a relatively small budget compared to some of the larger expenditures I''ve seen on here. I plan on spending around $2500 total. The GF and I are both very practical and she would probably kill me if I spent more (and even that amount she might consider frivolous).

WHAT I''M LOOKING FOR:
I''m definitely ordering online. Round diamond. The best cut I can afford (thx to you guys for making me understand how important this is). I''m shooting for something in the .7 range. As far as color goes, I was really surprised at how white some of the lower colored diamonds looked that I saw at B&Ms. I''m tempted to say I could go as far as J but that makes me feel a little nervous (but not ruling it out). For clarity I have no problem with going to SI1 if it is eye clean. I plan on going with a somewhat classic setting that should run about $400 so that leaves the stone budget at around $2100. I know my girl would be thrilled and happy with any ring that would show her that I want to be with her forever but I''d more than anything love to dazzle her with something so special on this budget that would melt her heart. I''m not asking anyone to do the work for me but you guys seems to have such an incredible knack for suggesting the most precious diamonds in the world in all the posts that I''ve read. I plan on ordering on Wednesday the 7th so any suggestions on the best diamond to wow her would be most appreciated and I would be so eternally grateful.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A J/SI combo should be an excellent and white combo at this size. It should be fine face up, and only a slight warmth from the side.

Here is a lovely .78 that will actually come in under budget with the pricescope discount from JA (don''t forget to ask). Not sure if it''s eye-clean, but it definitely could be. Be sure to ask Jim Schultz before hand. JA has a good return policy if the color does bother her just in case.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=895804

I''m not sure if you already have a setting picked out, but I''ve always admired these from JA. Ordering the setting from the same place should give you plenty of time to give it to her on time!
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?module=setting&cid=57&item=934
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?module=setting&cid=57&item=937

This setting is a tad over budget, but so pretty:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?module=setting&cid=57&item=936

Good luck!!

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Wow, kcoursolle! Thanks so much for the suggestions. What is so amazing is that I have been looking at the exact diamond that you linked since I saw it mentioned in another thread a week ago or so. But besides that, that "surprise" setting at JA was one I was really leaning towards. I''ve been a little apprehensive about that though only because it seems like such an inexpensive price for what looks like such a beautiful setting. I''ve searched on this board to see if anyone reviewed it or not but didn''t have any luck. I do think it''s an amazing setting for that price... but then why such a low price?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi again,
If you are interested in this stone, you might want to put it on hold while other people comment on it here. Sometimes a diamond recommended here gets snatched up right away
29.gif

As far as the setting goes, I''m not really sure if anyone has it here...hopefully someone will chime in. However, they do have a nice return policy and people have had wonderful experiences from them. I wouldn''t be too worried about the price from this particular vendor, but that''s me. I''ve done business with JA, WF, and knoxjewelers.biz and have been very happy with all of my experiences.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with Kcoursolle on this one: that stone she picked would also be my choice in that range, providing it is eyeclean. There is one other I would look at, but it is an I1, and most people are not comfortable going that low in clarity...but there are some eyeclean I1s.

In regards to JA, I have purchased a setting from them before (not that particular one) and I was very pleased with the quality.

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Thx FacetFire. It does look like a nice diamond. The J is the only thing that is making me hesitate a little. I''ve read enough on here and looked through the thread where people posted pictures of their Js so I should feel more comfortable. Guess I''m just looking for reassurance that with a smaller than a carat round that is well cut, J will not be as noticeable or an issue.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the stones sold by "maul" stores are J-K in color and aren''t even well cut. My stone is a 2.3 carat I/J OEC and it faces up white, though I can see a slight tint from the side. With a .78 carat ideal cut, I wouldn''t hesitate to get a J, or even K. Don''t forget that Tiffany even carries I stones, so you are only going one below Tiffany "acceptable." I don''t see anything else in your budget that would draw my attention except maybe this one, and as I mentioned it is an I1 clarity, though it looks stunning: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2786/ It might be worth a phone call to find out if it''s eyeclean...looks like it could be! Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Varelse, welcome to PS.

Those are some great contenders Koursie and FF picked out! Regarding a J colour, it is up to the viewer''s eyes for colour as you probably know, but there are many here with well cut J''s who love them! I think you would find a well cut J a whole different ball of wax to a lesser cut, don''t forget many vendors have a good return policy if you did find a J too warm, if not it is a great way to maximise size!

Good luck to you!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Varelse

My friend just purchased a 0.73 J stone and I can tell you it face up it is very white. You can see a very slight warmth from the side but it is not offensive at all. The ring was from her dad to her mom and her mom LOVES it and gets a ton of complements. I think you will be very happy and supprised at how lovely a J looks. I attached a pic for you. Good luck in your search and congrats!

KT

MiguelVeloz_1219.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
In that size range, J is definitely not a problem. I have a .75 J and it''s beautiful......faces up white.

Nice stone selection - I think the .78 J is the best option.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely adore that JA surprise diamond setting!! Great choice! The .78 looks great, too.
36.gif

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I guess you''ve all put my mind at ease a bit on going with a J. I know some people are more color semsative but when I went looking at the shops (including the dreaded mall stores) I had a lot of trouble telling a difference in color. The only place where I could really tell was a jewler that laid out some diamond on a sheet of white paper.. but who''s going to do this later with their ring?
emsmile.gif

I like the suggested .78. Should I be concerned that the is no Idealscope for it on their site? I''ve notice that a lot of the other diamond I''ve looked at on there included one.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA will take an IS image for you.
From the looks of the pic on the site it looks atleast near h&a or better.

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Thx strmrdr that is good to know. I suppose I''d want to get a hold of them anyhow to see if it''s eye clean.

One other thing, and maybe this isn''t the best place to ask, but when doing a diamond search here on Pricescope what exactly does the spread column tell you. I see values from -3% to 4% on various diamonds. Do the negative numbers mean that the spread is that percentage lower than it should be? Just a little confused.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
email.

it is the % lower than a Tolkowsky round.

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the explanation JulieN. Well, I e-mailed JA to see if I could get some more info on that .78 so I hope to hear something tomorrow. Starting to get a little freaked out and nervous. After months of looking and learning I am feeling a bit apprehensive about actually pulling the trigger on something in the next few days. While I know my GF would be thrilled with a corn nut rubber-banded to a twist-tie just out of the thought alone, I really want to make her feel extremely special with this ring. And although she probably wouldn''t want me to spend anything more than I''ve stated, the fact that this is something she will wear forever is starting to weigh on me. So anymore suggestions on the best diamond or what you would buy if you were spending $2100-2500 on a diamond are more than welcome.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 1:35:00 AM
Author: Varelse
Thanks for the explanation JulieN. Well, I e-mailed JA to see if I could get some more info on that .78 so I hope to hear something tomorrow. Starting to get a little freaked out and nervous. After months of looking and learning I am feeling a bit apprehensive about actually pulling the trigger on something in the next few days. While I know my GF would be thrilled with a corn nut rubber-banded to a twist-tie just out of the thought alone, I really want to make her feel extremely special with this ring. And although she probably wouldn''t want me to spend anything more than I''ve stated, the fact that this is something she will wear forever is starting to weigh on me. So anymore suggestions on the best diamond or what you would buy if you were spending $2100-2500 on a diamond are more than welcome.
It''s easy to be nervous, but really this diamond should knock your socks off...or should I say *her* socks off. If by some chance the two of you aren''t loving it, JA is very helpful with returns/exchanges/advice, etc. I bought my engagement diamond there and am very happy with the service and the stone itself.

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Thank you kcoursolle. Posts like yours are really helping calm my worries. You all are so great and I truly value the opinions of all the people I see posting here. You all seem to be at the top of your game when evaluating diamonds and are so incredibly helpful to those like me that are are just learning the ropes. I can easily empathize with the addiction of finding those perfect diamonds. Cheers and thanks.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:35:19 AM
Author: coda72
Here''s one more stone from James Allen that looks to be nice and is just slightly over your budget with the Pricescope discount.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=936509

It''s just one more possibility for you to consider.
Nice find coda! If you are worried about the color of the .78 J, than this might be a good option. It looks like a lovely stone and it shouldn''t be too far out of budget after the pricescope discount.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I think the discount only applies if you can wire the money, though. But nice diamond!

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Thanks for another suggestion coda72. My price range was a pretty flexible guess so I''m more than willing to go +/- a few hundred dollars if you guys spot a killer recommendation. Besides the color difference, how do you guys feel that this one stacks up to the .78?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Did you purchase it? I see that it says it''s no longer available...

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Nope. Wow, that went fast. I guess the hunt continues.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
You might want to give Wink a call. He has a few listed here http://www.winkjones.com/specials/diamonds.php that could be great and within your budget. Scroll down a bit, and you can see a couple .7+ I SIs and a J VS that have great potential. He is great to work with, and can probably really help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 4:38:53 PM
Author: Varelse
Nope. Wow, that went fast. I guess the hunt continues.
you should really put the .78 J on hold, that one could go as well. I don''t think there is any obligation to buy if you do this, but ask to make sure.

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for more suggestions. I like some of the stuff I saw at GOG and was really impressed with all their educational videos. I decided to skip buying from them when I couldn''t find a way to view the prices on their settings. Kind of hard to plot your budget buying online when you''d have to e-mail the company about every setting you look at. Still waiting to hear from JA on if that one is eye clean. Going to try to order something tomorrow so I''m going to spend the rest of my waking night looking under every online rock I see. Still very open to any recommendations that you may know of or spot. Thanks again to everyone for all the responses and info. You all have been so helpful.

Varelse

Rough_Rock
Well, I ended up going with the .78 at JA with the "surprise" setting. Only bummer is that there is no way for them to get it done and here by V-Day so I''m going to have to rethink my original proposal plans. Thanks once again for all the help. I''ll be sure to post some pics after it gets here.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your purchase! I am sure it will be beautiful. Please update us after the proposal and of course provide pics!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results