shape
carat
color
clarity

Help and advice re prongs for my new Asscher ring

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers!

I have my beautiful 20th anniversary Asscher but much as I love it I feel the prongs are too big.

Does anyone have experience or advice on modifying prongs? Can it be done successfully or should I really accept I'll have to pay for a new setting? Do you agree the prongs are eclipsing the stone?

I can't do links, sorry (I have tried!) but I have threads here on RT and on SMTB and here are images of my ring (with my eternity ring in most pics).

img_4572.jpg img_4560.jpg
img_4511.jpg
img_4484_0.jpg img_4519.jpg img_4514_0.jpg img_4477.jpg img_4525.jpg [/quote]

Thanks in advance!

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
I meant to say, other than the prongs I am extremely happy with the setting - the band is perfect. So I'd rather not get a different setting.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
In all honesty yes - however if you do a search for assher rings on google the vast majority seem to be quite bulky.

Imagine leaving the width of the prong on the outside of the ring but pushing the prong inwards and when it was squashed like cream in a cake cutting of the excess either side so it was more pointy or rounded as to your preference hope the links below convey what I mean.

Sorry I hope i am allowed to post the links below

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/54113632997285229/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/130815564150904309/

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Thanks for being honest. Yes I like the look of those prongs. That's very helpful as it's a specific potential solution I can ask the jeweller about.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Glad I may have helped a little and apologies I should have complimented you on a gorgeous diamond and loving the band :appl:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've noticed that the prongs I like the best on step cuts wind up being on really big stones. I think the reason they look dainty is more because the stone is larger in proportion to the prongs. IMO the prongs look best when they are smaller than the chamfered corners (i.e. the windmills). I don't know if that's possible on a smaller stone. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say on this thread because I hope I am wrong.

Does anyone have examples of an asscher or emerald cut that is less than, say, 1.5cts that has dainty prongs?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the prongs on mine either. I wanted little double claws but the maker thought this would be better. I have often thought of having a little groove made in the center of each prong to beak up the line. But the heavy prongs certainly secure the stone and protect it!
p1100214.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are some LARGE tab looking prongs, I think they could be done much better. Bring it up with the jeweler and see what they say.
Honestly, this is one of the reasons I love a good bezel, too many vendors just cannot accomplish an elegant prong. If I were to get prongs I would make sure they were up to my standards before accepting the item. I would also make sure the vendor was capable of what I wanted before I purchased from them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd rather accept stronger prongs than raise the risk of losing the stone.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
I have friends with 1carat square diamonds who have smaller prongs so I think it's definitely achievable. I've not heard of any disasters with stones falling out either.

To be fair to my jeweller, he did show me the setting and say this was really the one he recommended but that he could make me a handmade ring if I wanted.

I think I was so excited to buy the stone that I'd forgotten my research and that I didn't want a setting with large prongs in the corners to avoid the Asscher looking too square with pointy corners like a Princess cut.

I've emailed him my concerns and questions and attached some images of prongs I like and see what he says.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1442780415|3929923 said:
I'd rather accept stronger prongs than raise the risk of losing the stone.

Yes. True.
I started obsessing about the huge prongs on my ring, then found a photo with a better perspective. All that huge-ness is actually tiny.... p1100303.jpg
The prongs look better when they are not blown up to huge on PS.But oh how that "mind-clean" tortures haha
I wonder if the OP could have the prongs shaved down/flattened a bit for now.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Jimmi - your prongs are smaller than mine (though your ring, band and hands look really quite similar to mine!). I know what you mean about becoming obsessed with something little that is barely noticeable though...

I spoke to my jeweller, he says he can thin the claws no problem. I'm going in to his workshop and he can show me exactly what he can do and what it will look like, I'll also talk to him about the integrity of the prongs and make sure the stone will be save.

I'll keep you posted.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
I picked my modified ring up today (I'm in London, UK, btw hence the posting time). He shaved down the prongs, they are narrower and shorter.

It's a subtle difference and it's not perfect, but it's MUCH better to my eyes. As ever it's hard to show in pictures, esp on a phone but here goes:

img_4635.png img_4644.jpg img_4642.jpg

In real life I feel the stone is standing out more now.

I'll live with it a few months and decide whether to get a new setting on my 21st anniversary next year! :naughty:

I love my ring though, I really do :dance:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CD, I haven't commented in this thread yet but I've been following along, and I can definitely see a difference in the prongs, I think the jeweler did a nice job; they look good! You seem happier with it and I'm glad, your ring is gorgeous!

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Hey Junebug - thanks so much! I am FAR happier now. I love it and wish my camera was working to take some great close ups but I had to make do with the iPhone.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
They do look better! Glad you are happier with the updated prongs! Yay! :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better! Allows your gorgeous stone to shine!!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous set!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, I think it looks better now! I think if you want a different look you will need to change the prongs to claws... however, I think these prongs look nice with the asscher.

I love your wedding set!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Job!
They look correct now and the diamond is beautiful.
Amazing what a little tweaking will do...before they awkwardly didn't relate to the stone and now they seem a part of it.
I'm so happy for you :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Californiadreaming|1442838044|3930138 said:
Jimmi - your prongs are smaller than mine (though your ring, band and hands look really quite similar to mine!). I know what you mean about becoming obsessed with something little that is barely noticeable though...

I spoke to my jeweller, he says he can thin the claws no problem. I'm going in to his workshop and he can show me exactly what he can do and what it will look like, I'll also talk to him about the integrity of the prongs and make sure the stone will be save.

I'll keep you posted.

wow - I just noticed! we are sort of Asccher twins! but you have that lovely Asscher band as well :love:
Do you have a SMTB thread for your new ring? would you mind sharing the specs with a nosy PSer?
I hope you will take more photos top & side. It's a lovely Asscher and very photogenic.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Hey Jimmi - thanks. Yes I do have a thread, but I haven't updated it yet with the new prongs. I'll do that and put the full specs on there. I will also clean my rings which are already a bit murky looking after days and days of fiddling with them! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results