shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Am I crazy? Disappointed with my ACA

muffins

Rough_Rock
After months and months of searching I finally received my ACA and I am not sure if my expectations were too high or I if I picked the wrong stone.
I have no concerns with colour, it’s an I but to me it white and bright. However, I almost feel like it’s lifeless especially in certain lighting. I expected a lot more fire and sparkle. I can’t quiet put my finger on it but something seems off.

Please help! What do I do ?

Is there something I missed with the specs?
Is there a better option? After spending so much time and money I want be sure I love it …..

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When was the last time that you cleaned it? Also, what lighting are you referring to?

muffins

Rough_Rock
When was the last time that you cleaned it? Also, what lighting are you referring to?

Hi Nala, I just received it so I suspect it’s really clean. I guess all lighting… to be honest
Best performance I got so far is in Costco and in the elevator. Any daylight and under the sun I am getting life. It’s my first diamond of this size or close to this size ever so maybe I don’t know what to realistically expect ?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post pictures?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Superideal stones go dark in bright, direct sunlight.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lighting and paint color will definitely play a part in performance. A diamond’s facets are like mirrors reflecting back its environment. You are probably seeing a range of performance but that is quite normal. Costco, grocery store, elevators, shady areas on a sunny day - all of these will give great performance. In your house without LED lighting and beige walls, you will not see its best performance. Would love to see some pics and videos!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Nala, I just received it so I suspect it’s really clean.

It may be clean, but of all the things -- the easiest is to drop it by a local jeweler and have them give it a nice steam bath.

Prior to getting it all cleaned up, I would also ask to use their microscope so you can verify the inscription on the girdle and also the inclusions to ensure the stone matches the clarity plot. You know, just double checking that it's indeed the stone you purchased. Not implying anything was switched but it's just good practice and provides that assurance.

Lighting really does make a big difference and I would suggest after getting it cleaned that you inspect in several different conditions. Even better if you have another diamond to compare it against. And while you are at the jeweler using the scope & getting cleaned, you would have the luxury to compare against other diamonds in the same lighting (ask if you can compare in normal counter lighting, near windows, back office w/ LED's, etc). ;)2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW diamonds only sparkle with colors of the rainbow when lighting conditions are just so.
The best cut can't produce fire under indirect light of a large source, such as a cloudy day.

I hope you weren't expecting the best cut would mean the diamond would produce a colored light show in all lighting conditions.
No gem does that.

The best fire is when the light is from one or more tiny sources
For example, in an elevator with a dark ceiling into which has been installed several tiny strong halogen lights.
Also, my favorite environment to enjoy my ACA's light show is when I'm are a passenger in a car at night in traffic.
Hold your ACA up with the table facing the cars behind you.
Don't do this when driving, that is unless you leave your ACA to me in your will. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps, I wrote this:
"Hold your ACA up with the table facing the cars behind you."

But I forgot to mention ...

When holding up your hand/ring, move your hand to the left or to right of your face.

Why?
If it's right in front of your face, your head will block the direct light coming from the headlights behind your car.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Give it a good scrubbing with warm water, non-abrasive dish soap, and an extra soft bristle infant toothbrush...pay dry with a lint free cloth.

If that doesn't do the trick to wake it up, then let's find you an alternative ACA that has a performance personality more attuned to what you desire.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't presume the diamond is clean just because you recently received it -- take a moment to clean it yourself or take it to your local jeweler for them to clean.

Figure out where you are noticing the performance is lacking, and take note of the environment you're in, meaning lighting, walls, ceilings.

Please post a pic of your ACA in its setting -- is it prong-set or bezel-set, very low-set or high-set?

And/or, maybe you're not a diamond person? If your hand/finger is not moving, then the ACA is static and there's nothing going on -- the ACA will only perform to the extent your finger is moving or if something overhead is moving (i.e., if you're sitting underneath a ceiling fan, depending on position your ACA may show some flashes as the fan blades rotate above even if your hand isn't moving).

Are you still in the WF return period?

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
ACAs are also cut for balance so they perform well in all conditions (reflecting all possible light back = brilliance and when you have many light sources = fire/sparkle), but that means that you won’t get as much fire if you wanted something cut for that end of the spectrum but won’t perform as well in other conditions OR perform with as much brilliance at the other end of the spectrum, closer to the 60/60 Tolkowski end.

(I know how you feel! I have a 3 carat ACA F, and I feel like it’s not as icy white as I’d hope in some conditions when it’s probably just reflecting what’s around it! It has plenty of sparkles otherwise!)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s my first diamond of this size or close to this size ever so maybe I don’t know what to realistically expect ?

Do you still have your previous diamond(s) to view side by side in different environments? That info may help fine tune what you are looking for/want to see.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
let's find you an alternative ACA that has a performance personality more attuned to what you desire.

How wide is the performance differences in the ACA lineup?
I’m assuming brilliance vs fire is what you are saying - not body color?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash has three 3 carat I-J color diamonds in stock between $40-50k with table widths under 56% and 15.5% or more crown heights.
Check them out and maybe even ask for comparison videos of them in various lighting conditions.

These may be the ones to really focus on: 3 carat J VS1 and 3 carat I VS2:

Screenshot_20230504-123612-370.png

Screenshot_20230504-123809-497.png

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Holy sparkle balls….someone catch me I’m about to faint.

39B8DA84-EF46-4A52-8284-D89CE4992B5D.jpeg

My 3.75ish ACA has close to these specs (61.7/54.2/34.7/40.7/15.9/78) and the fire is sublime, in the right lighting of course.

Last edited:

muffins

Rough_Rock
Hi All thanks for all your responses!!!! I am going to get it cleaned and see if that makes and difference and then take some photos to post!!!
Does the table under 56% produce more fire is that the idea? Are my specs just wrong or do my specs looks good? I was focused so much on colour and clarity I kind of missed the proportions part ‍♀️
Thank you

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing shameful or wrong with your proportions. They are one of the first things I looked at when I saw your post.

While we do sometimes get excited by certain elements it’s important to realize not any single proportion makes the diamond. It’s when they all work in harmony and more than that are precisely cut so each facet aligns perfect for the ultimate light return. And quite frankly this is what makes super ideals special. They don’t just have the numbers, but they have precision.

Things like a solid ASET provide confirmation angles are hitting in a manner that delivers good light return. Good hearts images confirm precision alignment. When those elements come together then the proportions may have “personality differences”. Perhaps one might be a little more firey (color light). Or maybe a little more brilliant (white light). Another may be a little more balanced. Depending how nuanced your eye is you may not notice these small differences.

Often when suggesting various stones for people I look at the videos. WF videos are very consistent and I like to do side by side comparison views when looking at multiple ACA’s as you can sometimes see these small variances. And when people are “stuck” between 2-3 choices this can sometimes be a good tie breaker.

However, you have to take the video data with a grain of salt. Videos are zoomed at high levels so facets are larger as well as flashes of light return. Also when looking at fire videos each stone is being flooded with light to highlight the ability to produce fire. The brilliance videos don’t have all the large flashes of fire because they have a different light source.

Light makes all the difference in the world. Remember if you put the best and worst cut stones in a dark closet both will suck at making fire as there is no light to return. Thinking how critical light source is should also emphasis the cleanliness of any diamond. Essentially a diamond is a bunch of mirrors where light gets bounced around. When the mirrors are dirty light can’t travel as intended so performance is simply reduced or maybe close to non existent depending how dirty.

This is why you’ve been flooded with responses to ensure it’s clean. And to test in a variety of different light conditions. Earlier I mentioned it’s a good idea to inspect the stone to ensure everything matches and is what you bought.

ACA’s are known to be proven performers so we want to eliminate the simple stuff first. Also adjusting reasonable expectations might be needed. We don’t know exactly yet.

What I do know is the difference in your proportions and the ones I got all weak about earlier shouldn’t have a black/white effect for you. Could there be some small personality differences? Yup. But not major “my stone doesn’t perform” differences.

Your stone specs:

1268D0D0-47BD-4081-8040-19887E854AF5.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any MRB across different lighting is going to show brightness much of the time.
It is just how they work.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@muffins, any update? Are you liking your diamond better now?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wondering how this went. I've seen ACAs that did not impress me, yet I love the one I chose. It's ok. I think you need to send it back and try another. And I did exactly that. I returned one and then kept the second one I tried. I think people can have different diamond performance preferences.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results