shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - alterations, steam and pressing your dress??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All
Im trying to prep for alterations and any other costs that are going to come up for me at the wedding! ughhhh - seems they are coming at me from all over the place!~

Anyway, please let me know what you DID do or what you will do:

1) How much do you think my alterations will cost, on JUST THE HEM, my dress is a Maggie Sottero/Corset back so only needs hem/length fixing.

2) Are you going to get your dress Steamed and Pressed AFTER The alterations are done? i never heard of this - is it something i need to do????
I just read on some site that you need to do this too.

Ughhh so much $$ -

Thanks in advance.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most hem jobs are reasonably inexpensive unless lace or beading are involved. Mine was about $50 I think...if you have tons of layers of fabric it can be more too.

And usually steaming or pressing is included with alterations, but you want to make sure to ask.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My alterations were about $350 - included putting in a corset back where there was a zipper, making a sweetheart neckline where it had gone straight across, cutting off the train and making the dress tea-length, re-sewing a bow so it laid flat instead of floppy, and re-attaching the bodice to the skirt so the skirt looked fuller. So there was a LOT for that $.

Pressing and steaming was something included by my bridal store for any purchase - they basically held on to your dress until the day before the wedding so nothing could happen to it.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
If I remember correctly, my alterations were $125 or $150 total, for hem, bustle, and taking in the bust. But this wasn''t at a bridal salon, it was a regular seamstress. I just posted in another thread how I took my dress to a dry cleaner to be pressed and paid $70, and it was the biggest waste of money!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I guess it depends on how extensive the alterations are going to be to your dress. The more work they need to do, the more time they are going to be touching your dress. The natural oils/sweat on their hands will come off onto your dress, and general dust etc too. If you are going to do a basic hem, then they are not likely to get the dress too dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results