shape
carat
color
clarity

Help all around

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondhelp

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend has decided to purchase me a stone for our engagment. He is using Summit Diamond Corp. out of Tampa. (Anyone heard of them?), we assyne,this is a better cost, we are receiving both the stones and certification through mail to view. As we receive them, we haven't a clue if we are getting a deal or quality, like we want. And, we don't know the first thing to do to even look or evaluate them. Please see below for any suggestions. This is much appreciated!!!

-Stone 1 $$$5000
Certified GIA (???) - we have a registered certification
Round brilliant
Measures: 6.49-6.55 x 4.08mm
Weight: 1.02ct
Depth: 62.6%
Table: 61%
Girdle: thin to medium
Cutlet: none
Polish: very good
Symmetry: good
Clarity: VS1
Color: H
Florescence: Faint (what does this mean??)
Comments: brown patch of color is not shown (what does this mean??)
Key to Symbols: cloud, feather, natural, extra facet (??)

-Stone 2 $$$4700
No certification
Round Brilliant
Weight: 1.27ct
Clarity: SI1
Color: I

Also, anyone who would like to give advice on a Brilliant cut vs. an Ideal? AND- what are your opinions of white gold?

Thanks.:wavey: :wavey:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi DH,

I'd recommend you to start with the following:

"Round Brilliant" means only the shape it doesn’t guarantee to be really "brilliant". It depends on the cut quality. Check out the tutorial regarding "Ideal" cut.

Diamond #1 is far from ideal cut and priced about $500 higher than you'd pay in the internet for the similar diamonds.

Second diamond is difficult to analyze because of lack of data. Assuming the gradings are correct, its price is comparable to the GIA graded diamonds you can buy via the internet.
[/u][/u]

diamondhelp

Rough_Rock
Leonid,

I appreciate the insight. Have you, or someone you've known bought online? Also, I have read several of the tutorials now, and am still confused on what to look for- sitting here in my kitchen. Do you know how to tell if the cut is good without knowing the dimentions of the crown and pavillion. They don't give that to you on the GIA cert. You say that the first stone, is not "ideal." Can you explain?? Also, I am not even sure these are worth spending money on to have an appraisal done- definetly not on the one without the cert. From everthing I have read, it appears the entire process can be tricky. Any other tips?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Have you, or someone you've known bought online?

many people are buying online and have a great experience. Browse this forum for some feedbacks. Basicaly, we have positive comments from consumers for most diamond dealers listed on Pricescope.

Also, I have read several of the tutorials now, and am still confused on what to look for- sitting here in my kitchen.

Go out of the kitchen :) Seriously, you have to see different diamonds, compare them and find out what do YOU want. Best thing would be to find a knowledgeable jeweller who'd educate you by showing you different diamonds.

Do you know how to tell if the cut is good without knowing the dimentions of the crown and pavillion. They don't give that to you on the GIA cert.

Expert appraiser can do it for you. Ideal-scope is another options. You also can ask your vendor to run the diamond on Sarin or Ogi machine to obtain crown and pavilion angles.

You say that the first stone, is not "ideal." Can you explain??

There is no ideal combination of crown and pavilion angles for these table size and total depth. It is simple geometry and we have a program that can check it quickly.

Also, I am not even sure these are worth spending money on to have an appraisal done- definetly not on the one without the cert.

If you like the stone why not? You also can ask you vendor to send the stone to GIA or AGS for grading.

deanb

Rough_Rock
DH- I was in a similar situation- not really sure of the differnces between types of stones, the variations in cut, the differnces in cost,etc. there is outstanding information on this site, which can be invaluable in your quest. If you're in the Tampa area and still unsure about buying online, take a Saturday and drive across the alley to Melbourne and visit Jan & Brad of DBOF. They are one of the tops. Also a great site with tutorials is Jonathon at goodoldgold.com Some of the nicest stones with a superb site ( in terms of navigation,info,tips,etc)You can safely buy online from either(and there are many others who will chime in ) as these two vendors always seem to be most discussed. For me- I just purchased from Jan today. :)

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations deanb!

Tell us about your purchase. :)

buttercup

Rough_Rock
The first one says 'brown patch of color is not shown', this is bad news.

DeanB-congrats on your purchase, that stone of yours sure was a beaut!

Jan of Diamond Brokers of Florida is awesome...do yourself a favor and go call and visit them.
If you tell Jan you're looking for the largest white (I color or better) eye-clean diamond with an exceptional cut (definitely THE MOST IMPORTANT factor in determining the beauty of your diamond), and you're budget is $5K, she will help you find the diamond of your dreams. Also, they will beat anybody elses price, including your Tampa store.

good luck!

diamondhelp

Rough_Rock
Buttercup,

Thanks for the info. Anymore specifics on the "brown patch of color not shown?" You say that that isn't good, but why? Also, I am in the Atlanta Ga area. Any ideas as far as appraisers or vendors that you know of?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results