carat
color
clarity

Help again please!

sporty

Rough_Rock
Sorry to come back but I met and saw more stones today -
My background:
Last week I posted about a 2.40 I color si2 stone I was looking at that was rated 2 excellents and one very good but the HCA report on it was not positive.
Today I saw one:
2.45 H Si1 stone with three excellents (however it has a table of 61, just like the I stone - is that bad?)
And one:
2.50 H Si1 stone with three very goods

Because sparkle is very important to me, we eliminated the 2.50 stone and I sat comparing the 2.45 and the 2.40.
Now, the 2.45 was the most expensive of them all. It's a good 6000 more than the I stone. It was only a few hundred more than the 2.50 stone though....there was not a huge difference there.

Is it worth the 6 thousand to go up a step in color and clarity?
The I stone does have a very pretty sparkle to it. And the color looked good on it in my opinion. It was just rated so poorly....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not that color sensitive and as long as the 2.4 was eye-clean then it wouldnt make sense to go up $6k to me. But thats
me. Have you seen the color video by GOG? It may help.
http://www.vimeo.com/3288695

Do you have a jareds near by? If so, you can go view their Peerless line in those colors and see what you think.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sporty|1306178201|2928411 said:
Sorry to come back but I met and saw more stones today -
My background:
Last week I posted about a 2.40 I color si2 stone I was looking at that was rated 2 excellents and one very good but the HCA report on it was not positive.
Today I saw one:
2.45 H Si1 stone with three excellents (however it has a table of 61, just like the I stone - is that bad?)
And one:
2.50 H Si1 stone with three very goods

Because sparkle is very important to me, we eliminated the 2.50 stone and I sat comparing the 2.45 and the 2.40.
Now, the 2.45 was the most expensive of them all. It's a good 6000 more than the I stone. It was only a few hundred more than the 2.50 stone though....there was not a huge difference there.

Is it worth the 6 thousand to go up a step in color and clarity?
The I stone does have a very pretty sparkle to it. And the color looked good on it in my opinion. It was just rated so poorly....

Nothing wrong w/ a 61table as long as other proportions are complementary, just like nothing wrong w/ a 52 or 56table as long as other proportions are complementary :))

Ditto ty, I would not pay 6k more for a single colour grade step up, especially if the tint in the I did not bother you!

Crown and pavilion combination on the I would lead to light escaping through the bottom of the stone rather than being reflected back to your eyes, which we PSers generally prefer not to see (quick and incomplete example, but look under the table of this stone 33.5/42, compare to under table of this one 33.5/40.8 )

BUT you're buying the stone, not the report/HCA/PS opinions... and though we can tell you what the stone is doing with the light that comes into it, we can't tell you anything about what your eyes like to see! You are able to compare with other stones in-person, you're in the BEST position to find out what your eyes prefer most - if that's the 2.4 I, then that's what you should do! Just be sure to actually compare - in lots of lights, beside a window, under spotlighting, in direct bright sunlight, under a desk - then get the stones dirty by rubbing your fingers all over and compare again - and make sure that your eyes do, in fact, choose that one consistently.

sporty

Rough_Rock
i got the gia reports so i plugged in the numbers to hca and both came back as good -

the 2.45 came back with a 2.6

the 2.5 came back with a 3.7

sporty

Rough_Rock
Sorry to be a pain here but I am deciding by tomorrow.
The 2.45 H si1 is the best stone out of all 3. But side by side with the I stone, I can say that the I was slightly warmer in color, but had just as much sparkle and size wise was comparable.
So my only hesitation with the I is that it's an I and a Si2 and HCA said the light return would be poor and sparkle is what I am going for. The 2.45 just on paper sounds like a much better stone and a much better investment.
But it's a LOT more money that would be hard to swing but I'd do it if it is really the smarter stone.
I don't want to always see the ring and think it's not worth much because it's an I si2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results