shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Advice needed re: certified or uncertified stone!

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
I have been speaking to a jeweller about my FH's custom wedding band. The band will have a princess cut stone in it, of about 0.30-0.35ct - they have quoted me for a price including the stone. I asked them to quote without the stone, and was considering sourcing this myself. The other option I gave was that I was happy for them to source the stone, but I wanted to have final say on it. They have just come back to me to say that they generally do not select certified stones for these types of stones - they source them through a princess cut vendor, and specify the specs they want. They have asked me if I want a certified stone. Now I don't know what to do.... is it important to have a cetified stone in this size or not?

Thank you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think princess cuts in that size with reports are less common than rounds in that size. Personally, I would ask about the price difference, and might ask to see an example of both, and let my eyes (and pocket book) decide.

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
the problem is, I am in Oz - so need to do all of this by email. Pricewise, I can get a certified one for aroun $100-$150 more... is it worth it? Would really appreciate opinions on this.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
- If you go with an uncerted stone make sure you look at it in lots of different lighting conditions to make sure that it is appealing
to you and that there are no visible inclusions.

- I would also go somewhere they have princess cut stones that are certed
and decide what color you can live with. Tell your jeweler that you want such and such color or better and an eye-clean stone.

- Make sure you know what a pretty/nice princess cut diamond looks like before you go view what the jeweler has brought in.
- Make sure that you are able to approve the stone before it gets mounted.

Having a GIA/AGS cert helps you know what you are getting and if you are paying an appropriate price. Only you know your
budget and whether its worth it to you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1305644925|2923906 said:
- If you go with an uncerted stone make sure you look at it in lots of different lighting conditions to make sure that it is appealing
to you and that there are no visible inclusions.

- I would also go somewhere they have princess cut stones that are certed
and decide what color you can live with. Tell your jeweler that you want such and such color or better and an eye-clean stone.

- Make sure you know what a pretty/nice princess cut diamond looks like before you go view what the jeweler has brought in.
- Make sure that you are able to approve the stone before it gets mounted.

Having a GIA/AGS cert helps you know what you are getting and if you are paying an appropriate price. Only you know your
budget and whether its worth it to you.

I agree with this.

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
This is all going to be pretty hard for me guys, I am in Oz and dealing with an online vendor.. will most probably have to buy the diamond online and have it shipped to this jeweller? FYI the jeweller is very reputable on PS.

Anyway, my point is, I won't be able to view anything, will have to do it all online.. the jeweller has told me the stone they will source will be F/G in colour and of VS clarity...but without it being certified, how can they tell?

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
Any more opinions on this?

Please guys, I really need your help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way would I pay $150 extra dollars to have a certified .30 diamond to set into a man's wedding band. As long as they select a well cut stone, I see no need at all for a lab report.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who is the vendor? If a reputable PS vendor, then I would trust them to pick a non-certified stone without worry, personally.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lottapalooza|1305645850|2923921 said:
This is all going to be pretty hard for me guys, I am in Oz and dealing with an online vendor.. will most probably have to buy the diamond online and have it shipped to this jeweller? FYI the jeweller is very reputable on PS.

Anyway, my point is, I won't be able to view anything, will have to do it all online.. the jeweller has told me the stone they will source will be F/G in colour and of VS clarity...but without it being certified, how can they tell?

Reputable jewelers have wholesale sources that sell melee diamonds (small uncerted stones) in bulk that have been factory graded/sorted into categories like F/G and VS. If you buy from a reputable jewler, you can generally trust these estimates IMO.

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
vendore is BGD.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lottapalooza|1305681494|2924437 said:
vendore is BGD.

I would not worry one little bit and opt for the uncerted stone. No question.

lottapalooza

Rough_Rock
thank you!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are welcome! That is one benefit of shopping with a trusted vendor. You can trust them :cheeky: As I said, I am very picky and would not hesitate to buy a ring with an uncerted princess stone Brian picked.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results