shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Advice Needed on Princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BKB

Rough_Rock
Hi,I have done some research and put a deposit on a ring to be picked up this week (from a local jeweler):
Princess Cut
1.20 ct
Color F
Clarity SI1
Good cut
Good Polish
Girdle Med to Thick
Dpth% 79.1
Table% 73.0
5.70 x 5.51 x 4.36
EGL Certified
$5250

I looked at the diamond in person, including under the microscope. The inclusions were very hard to see and they weren't under the table and it looked bright to me. Is this diamond too deep? The dimensions seem small for a 1.2 ct diamond compared to others on the internet. Is EGL cert OK? Also, two separate jewelers recommended a white 14K gold band with platinum head rather than all platinum. Does this make sense? Any comments would be helpful, as I am new to diamond buying and would have to back out now if necessary. THANKS!

md

Rough_Rock
I just bought a 1ct stone and it is 5.65 X 5.58. I'm no expert or anything, but the depth does seem too much. As you can see you can basically get a 1ct stone with about the same dimensions as the stone you describe, although I paid a little less than the price you listed for a 1ct stone probably because it is what has been talked about as "ideal" on this forum. I was looking at 1.20ct stones and I think they were around 5.90 X 6.0 or something around there. Take a look at some of the sites listed in the forum and you will find really good examples of proper depth and size.

KTBee

Rough_Rock
BKB,

I just purchased a princess stone myself, after lots of help and input from this forum. Based on my research, a 79% depth seems to be rather high. You might want to use this chart http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm as a guide. It helped me out quite a bit.

I wouldn't go for anything more than 75%. The diamond I just purchased had a depth of 69.5% and a table of 67% and it looks awesome (to me anyways). By the way, my diamond is smaller than the one you're looking at(1.11 carat) but the length/width 5.9x5.74 compare favorably due to the shallower depth (3.99mm).

Just my 2 cents.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
When judging the quality of a fancy shape, including princess cuts, the proportions may or may not be good

There are a lot of other factors, and proportions not shown on the GIA/AGS/ EGL reports.

It is how the individual stone looks that is important not how deep, or spread of how shallow it is.

Any fancy shape HAS to be seen to render an accurate and reiable opinion.

Rockdoc

BKB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. I guess that I am probably paying for a larger diamond than it will appear.

KTBee, if you don't mind my asking, what was the color, clarity, cost of your diamond?

I don't want to cancel this order unless I am really not getting a fair deal. I realize I may be paying a little more because I am buying from a local jeweler. They were able to get the ring quickly for a proposal this Friday and were very helpful - Although they got a little defensive at the mention of the word "internet"!:wink2:

Is there anything here that could be considered a deal breaker. I understand the decision should be based on how the diamond looks, but I'm not experienced enough to know if it has the proper brightness, etc..

Thanks again for your help.

BKB

KTBee

Rough_Rock
I don't mind at all...

Here are the full specs on the diamond I got:

Square Modified Brilliant
5.94x5.74x3.99 mm
Weight 1.11c
Depth 69.5%
Table 67%
Gridle Medium
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Clarity VS1
Color D
Fluorescence Faint
Price $6,295

Extra Sarin info:
Crown Angles: 38.8 37.2 39.7
Crown Height: .58 .57 .59 10.2%
Pavil. Angle: 59.3 58.9 59.6
Pavil Dep. 3.27 3.28 3.27 57.6%

Purchased from USACerted. Excellent service from them as well.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results