shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Advice needed. Brian Gavin Diamonds holding onto Refund

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks to this amazing community, I've landed on a diamond from HPD that I would like to move forward with quickly even though they are aware of my situation and super supportive and patient.

I really don't know what to make of the situation and now just very scared that I will not get my refund as stated on their site.

Background: I purchased a pair of 1 carat each studs from BGD for my 10 year anniversary. It all went without a hitch. Then my husband and I decided to fast forward a purchase for another ring. So after a lot of communication with WF, BGD, and CBI, I decided to move forward with a BGD Black with some custom work on my original ring (changing the head) that I was quoted and charged for. It was delivered to me Sept 10. CBI offered to send to a local store some stones for me to compare and as you know in my other thread "Does a stone look better unmounted", the process resulted in me wanting to return the BGD. I sent an email to BGD and they responded on Sept 16th to stating that they were sorry I was returning the stone. I asked for return instructions and after some further communication and logistics (they were trying to keep the sale and I don't blame them), they confirmed they received the stone Sept 19th after I agreed to pay $60 for the express overnight label. They asked if it will be mounted with my ring or unmounted and I said unmounted. In the interim, I sent the ring to HPD, who unmounted the stone at no cost, inspected it for damage, took pictures, sent it back to me in a holder and in one trip to FedEx, I shipped it back to BGD without taking it out of the holder.

This is where it gets super hairy. At this point, I was told that because the stone was "so marked up" and "dirty", they wanted to send it back to AGS for inspection before they could refund me in case they had to without any funds for damage. Furthermore, they said that they will be withholding an additional $180 because they priced the head replacement at a loss ($250 for white gold). I was furious at this point and let them know that this behavior was completely unethical as I never consented to a price beyond $250 and I was NEVER communicated the additional AGS process if they did not unmount the stone. Despite the 3-5 day advertised refund timeline, I have now asked a total of 4 times or so in writing what the estimated timeline for a refund will be and they have refused to give me one because they didn't unmount it and it has to go to AGS. I'm furious that they don't have anyone in house to inspect for "damages", not sure how unmounting a stone causes it to be "so marked up" and only after 5 days (technically 4) in my possession.

Bottom line, I'm out on my investment with no idea when I'll actually get it back. It was a significant sum plus/minus some to the H 2.35 VS1 that I'm trying to purchase. And I have no idea what they're going to try and without.

Has anyone had this experience with BGD? I am so furious and so stressed out. I did not expect this behavior from a reputable company. Is this typical behavior? I don't know what to do. I've repeatedly continued to ask for an ETA to ensure that the timeline is reasonable but can't get them to give me one. I'm considering contacting the Better Business Bureau. I'm hesitant to do so until I know this is really just unethical and atypical behavior.

Thanks!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't remember the username of the BGD owner on here!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully they will see this post and expedite your refund in a timely manner.

Congratulations on your beautiful CBI:appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gahhhhh what the hell???? That's crazy and unacceptable. I'm so sorry :(

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think given that you sent the ring to be unmounted by HPD (a very reputable company) who inspected it and took pictures, you have all the documentation you would need to dispute a claim that you had damaged the stone. I understand BGD needing to inspect the stone themselves to ensure that all is well, but this should be a quick and efficient process. I'm trusting that you packaged the stone well with no possibility of damage when you sent it back? If so, this seems unreasonable.

As for withholding the $180 because they feel that they sold you the ring head at a loss...that is not right. They didn't discuss it with you at the time, they didn't discuss it with you when you were asking for the refund process, they have no right to keep it from you now. My 2 cents.

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
I think given that you sent the ring to be unmounted by HPD (a very reputable company) who inspected it and took pictures, you have all the documentation you would need to dispute a claim that you had damaged the stone. I understand BGD needing to inspect the stone themselves to ensure that all is well, but this should be a quick and efficient process. I'm trusting that you packaged the stone well with no possibility of damage when you sent it back? If so, this seems unreasonable.

As for withholding the $180 because they feel that they sold you the ring head at a loss...that is not right. They didn't discuss it with you at the time, they didn't discuss it with you when you were asking for the refund process, they have no right to keep it from you now. My 2 cents.

They agreed to "waive" the $180 after I pushed back pretty hard. As for the shipping...HPD put the stone in a diamond holder and I never took it out. I just shipped the whole box with the HPD brand back to BGD. So it was very secure and therefore, unreasonable.

As an update from a few minutes ago, they said that they will ask Brian to contact AGS to help expedite the process. They finally gave me some sort of timeline (minimally a week but will push to expedite). I'm really hoping that I don't even need to do a claim as I anticipate that will be a long drawn out process. Like I said, it's crazy to me that they couldn't just clean the stone and verify it in house. Whatever, if that is their process, they should have said as much. I just don't appreciate that coupled with the inferences to damage as if I need to be prepared for not getting a full refund.

I wanted the CBI in time for my bday in early Oct. Wahhhh. haha. Seriously though. I really wanted it by then. 1st world problems, I know. But we've worked hard for what we want.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t believe HPD would have damaged it, but IMO BGD has the right to have an external authority verify that the current state of the stone matches the report. They should have clearly communicated the possibility of needing to send the stone to AGS if they didn’t unmount it.

Glad they are “waiving” the $180. You have every right to be furious about that spot of nonsense.

Claiming your stone was “marked up and filthy” sounds like exactly the sort of hyperbolic tantrum they’ve become known for here on PS. Unfortunately there are a number of threads regarding BGD personnel failing on customer service, from top down - we’ve heard of astonishing rudeness, condescension, and misleading judgments. So don’t worry about it. You’ll 100% get your refund. Glad you found an alternate vendor whose professionalism you can count on.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately, when I have sent stones back to WF, they were able to inspect them in house to determine that the stones were not damaged so I could proceed with upgrades. But they were the ones unsetting the stones each time. I trust that HPD would have notified you if there was damage, so you should be getting that refund soon, hopefully! (The part about charging more for the head was ridiculous.)

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you’re dealing with this. We are all learning from your experience. Hopefully it will all work out sooner rather than later. In the meanwhile keep your eye on the prize and keep watching that video!

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I feel better knowing that it's not just me, sort of.

I just don't understand what the goal or game is. I literally spent a significant sum of money with them a month beforehand on something else. Why would they treat a repeat customer like this?

There were just a number of things that were carelessly thrown out there and it just kept making me more and more upset. For example, they sent a magnified video of the diamond looking dirty and then the original sales link of the stone from the website saying that this was what the stone looked like before it was shipped to me. I had to correct them to tell them how misleading they were being and that was the promotional video BEFORE it was mounted by BGD.

Sad because I do believe in their product. Furious that they treat customers this way. I guess in the diamond industry, your focus is engagements so you don't care about repeat customers or their networks?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually think $180 is reasonable for them to charge you if they replaced a head on your setting and set the diamond you purchased. I’m fairly sure most vendors charge extra for diamond “setting”. White gold head, plus labor for removing old head and welding in new head, and stone “setting” is going to run you that. I recently paid $70 for ring sizing and $70 for diamond setting in Los Angeles. All labor no materials.

As for the insistence that the diamond goes back to AGS for checking the diamond against the report before they issue you a refund, I also think that is reasonable. What if the stone was accidentally chipped during unsetting? (I think I recall one of the major vendors not allowing metal tweezers on a literally perfect diamond they had just created. They handled it with gloves. Etc.) Vendors are very careful and should be. Customers can absolutely take advantage of the good graces of vendors, we’ve seen it in recent days. The bottom line is that the diamond must be in the exact same shape as the AGS report it was sold with so that the eventual buyer and the vendor don’t take a loss on a return. I empathize with the need for a vendor to trust but verify. If I were a buyer and knew that the diamond I was buying was “a return” that had been previously set and unset, and was not inspected -directly and only- by AGS and verified in the same condition as the report, I’d be concerned. It is absolutely good hygiene and makes me respect BGD for their quality control.

So, in my opinion BGD’s caution is reasonable. And they thankfully waived the $180, which was their loss. Just my opinion only. I’m sorry this has been such an ordeal for you. I can totally empathize.

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased from them once and returned the stone. I almost felt like she was trying to make me feel bad for returning it. They also nickel and dimed me for everything they could before refunding my money. If I ever buy from them again it will be because I have to.

You WILL get back your money (minus their charges). Don’t fret. And I’m sorry you’ve had this experience.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a shoddy way to do business and they hold onto your money for a while longer. I am sure in the end they will refund the money but the angst and uncertainty you are experiencing is totally uncalled for. I would call and ask to speak to Brian Gavin himself. These kinds of tricks only serve to lose them more business than just yours. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Fortunately, when I have sent stones back to WF, they were able to inspect them in house to determine that the stones were not damaged so I could proceed with upgrades. But they were the ones unsetting the stones each time. I trust that HPD would have notified you if there was damage, so you should be getting that refund soon, hopefully! (The part about charging more for the head was ridiculous.)

Yes, HPD confirmed there was no damaged. They're just as baffled.

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
I purchased from them once and returned the stone. I almost felt like she was trying to make me feel bad for returning it. They also nickel and dimed me for everything they could before refunding my money. If I ever buy from them again it will be because I have to.

You WILL get back you money (minus their charges). Don’t fret. And I’m sorry you’ve had this experience.

OMG YES! They literally nickle and dime you to death! They made me pay them $120 just to ship my original ring to them to unmount the stone and then to ship my original stone back to me. Then the new head and labor, then wanting to withhold the $180, then $60 for the label to ship the stone back. And I'm sure there's going to be another charge coming for the "free" shipping of the ring. It's crazy.

HPD sent me labels to ship, unmount, ship back, and I haven't sent them a dime. Nor is it on my invoice. Seriously, how are they such a "reputable" company if this is their reputation on PS?

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
I just hope I get my money back without any "damages" that they have to account for. I need it for the new stone!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, how are they such a "reputable" company if this is their reputation on PS?
Some people (I’m assuming maybe the people that don’t return things???) do have good experiences with them.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope I get my money back without any "damages" that they have to account for. I need it for the new stone!
Did you send back all the swag they gave you?

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Yup!!! Everything! I didn't want to take ANY chances.

Funny story that I ignored at the time even though I thought it was awkward. I had purchased earrings from them and it came in a very nice BGD Signature jewelry box. I used it to securely send my original ring to them...they sent me the stone in a piece of paper and no jewelry box. Not even a diamond holder. I just thought, they took my earring holder. Funny now that I think about it.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny story that I ignored at the time even though I thought it was awkward. I had purchased earrings from them and it came in a very nice BGD Signature jewelry box. I used it to securely send my original ring to them...they sent me the stone in a piece of paper and no jewelry box. Not even a diamond holder. I just thought, they took my earring holder. Funny now that I think about it.
I’ve upgraded my diamonds multiple times with HPD. I have NEVER sent it back in the ring box it came in because it has always been easier to box it up without one (the FedEx small boxes are kind of narrow). I’ve always received a ring box back. So I have two HPD diamonds currently, and multiple boxes in my drawer.

What if those earrings had been a gift from someone and the box had been sentimental? :nono:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t believe I’m seeing Pricescopers criticizing BGD for requiring that AGS verify in person that the 2.5 carat H color diamond that was sent back matches the current lab report. This is basic hygiene. If they didn’t do this, they would be liable and the next customer would not be able to trust what they are buying, right? If the 2.5 carat H diamond was unset by another company and sent back in a ring holder, I would 100 percent support the idea that no refund be given until verification that stone matches report. In this case, I don’t know of a vendor who wouldn’t be justified checking out a set and unset returned diamond of this value. And vendors don’t operate as a charity. If they did work for OP and she kept her setting after returning the diamond, I don’t see why they need to eat the cost of new prongs and labor. Diamond setting costs an additional amount that is not refunded with a return, every vendor I know charges for materials and setting.

I don’t think BGD deserves to be criticized for this.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The re-certification seems to be common, to the point that labs offer discounts for re-grading within a month or so of issuing a report [GIA]. This obviously needs to be mentioned among the terms of return, since the process is so protracted & surprising.

Uh... I am sorry you were disappointed, then, worse ,( This is NOT what diamonds are for.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LightBright you don’t think Brian could verify the correct stone was mailed back and verify there was no damage? Yes, it is common practice for a vendor to recertify a stone when it is returned or traded in, but to not be able to check for damage in house? Really?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t believe I’m seeing Pricescopers criticizing BGD for requiring that AGS verify in person that the 2.5 carat H color diamond that was sent back matches the current lab report. This is basic hygiene. If they didn’t do this, they would be liable and the next customer would not be able to trust what they are buying, right? If the 2.5 carat H diamond was unset by another company and sent back in a ring holder, I would 100 percent support the idea that no refund be given until verification that stone matches report. In this case, I don’t know of a vendor who wouldn’t be justified checking out a set and unset returned diamond of this value. And vendors don’t operate as a charity. If they did work for OP and she kept her setting after returning the diamond, I don’t see why they need to eat the cost of new prongs and labor. Diamond setting costs an additional amount that is not refunded with a return, every vendor I know charges for materials and setting.

BGD is not being criticized for wanting to send the stone to AGS to verify state, @LightBright. They’re being criticized for how they’re going about it:
1. Tell the customer what the return process will be and what all associates charges will be prior to initiating a return transaction.
2. Don’t resort to fearmongering. I’m the sort of person who honestly wouldn’t sleep at night if a vendor I’d bought a $20k stone from told me that it was “so marked up” on return. Filthy compared to when they took glamour photos? Sure, I believe it. Put the damn thing in the ultrasonic for thirty seconds. “So marked up” is an assertion of actual damage, which they quite obviously have not yet verified - this is NOT an accusation to be tossed lightly over the table in pique.

Last edited:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmm.. I am one of those who have only had good experiences with BGD. I have never returned anything though.

IMO they are well within their rights to send the stone for checking and verification if they are unable to do that themselves, if there is any uncertainty about its state at all. It is after all, a costly stone.

The extra charges... well I suppose I can see both sides? They probably did charge you ‘at a loss’ assuming you would be keeping the ring.

However, if there were no conditions stated at the time of same about extra charges at the time of return, then it is unfair for them to try to push them onto you now!! That I do not agree with. I’m glad you pushed back and they ‘waived’ it!!

BGD is a ‘PS vendor’ for the quality of their stones. There seem to be unfortunate incidents of late re: customer service though. I feel like from these stories that their reps could really do with some training on managing issues and complaints, should these arise. It does seem like an issue that has come up in the last year or two. I have honestly never experienced anything like it myself. However, I have not purchased recently. My previous experiences were all top notch where they went above and beyond to fulfil my orders. From what I’m hearing, their communication (I’m talking wording, how they are managing concerns from clients) can be an issue. I don’t think they should’ve said ‘so filthy and marked up’. They could’ve just left it at ‘need to send to AGS for verification of condition of the stone’. Filthy and marked up seems a bit accusatory.

Re: someone else’s post above on ring boxes, I would never send a vendor any box with sentimental value... I have honestly never gotten back ANY box that I have sent to ANY vendor (like DK, CVB, DBL etc). I can see how it might be a bit off putting to have ‘lost’ your box... though I suppose if it was important, it could be requested that the seller return it?

Regardless, I really hope you get your refund soon and enjoy your undoubtedly GORGEOUS CBI!! Please show us when it arrives!

Last edited:

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock

Let's make sure we break it all down and that you're responding to the full story with all the facts that I think you're misunderstanding.
1) It's fine if they need to have it verified externally. However, this was never communicated and to deviate from what was originally advertised as 3-5 days is not upfront standard or expected business behavior. Nevermind that the ring has the BGD laser inscription on it and if Brian (in all his expertise) can't inspect the stone for damage, then I question why I'm buying from him as the industry expert.
2) Are you agreeing that even though I had already paid $250 for head and labor in which I will not be refunded for, I should pay an additional $180 because of their business decision to price the way they did?
3) Are you saying it's OK to withhold funds for an undefined period of time with no estimated timeline for completion?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LightBright you don’t think Brian could verify the correct stone was mailed back and verify there was no damage? Yes, it is common practice for a vendor to recertify a stone when it is returned or traded in, but to not be able to check for damage in house? Really?
A 2.5 carat H VS diamond was returned after being set into a setting, worn (I’m assuming) and unset by another vendor. One of my loose diamonds was dropped onto a counter by a vendor once, it was an accident and I didn’t say anything, but as I watched and heard it it bounce a foot in the air and clatter onto the glass, I realized that can accidents happen “any time". (Also, we have seen customers do crazy things to vendors recently...) I am reassured the BGD would verify that a diamond returned under those circumstances was checked out by AGS and the lab cert is still valid, especially if it was the diamond I was purchasing. Maybe I’m being extreme, and it’s my opinion, but people have extreme concern about their diamonds. I personally think BGD isn’t crazy for doing what they did.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LightBright
She paid for the new head! They just decided to add to the cost now since they are claiming they gave her a favorable price since she was buying the diamond. Sorry, that's not right. If they had wanted to price it contingent on her keeping the diamond, that should have been on the sales agreement. Too late to change it after the fact!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results