shape
carat
color
clarity

Help/Advice I don’t like my prongs!

VEF90

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love my stone and band on my 1ct D SI1 pear brilliant. My problem is with the prongs. They seem thick and overpowering and larger than the stone. I can see the stone isn’t nestled in the basket from the side view. I cringe when I see the profile view of my ring in pictures and it’s so bulky. The top and bottom prongs are also wider than the others on the side. Please does anyone has advice on the correct height and prongs for a pear shape stone? I’ve thought about lowering the prongs, asking for thinner prongs and getting a halo or hidden halo to disguise them. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 361

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your prongs look big and bulky because they ARE big and bulky. It is a sad fact that many, many jewelers cannot make slim prongs. As well, if your setting is a stock setting, that would make sense that the pear isn’t nestled down in it like the setting was made for it, because pears are often harder to fit into stock settings than a lot of the other shapes - if the setting WAS made for it, then that is an issue with the jeweler’s design skills. So basically what it comes down to is that this is a jeweler skill and artistic vision problem - by all means ask your jeweler about altering the prongs, but it may not be possible for them to get the result you desire. A better bet would be to get an entirely new setting made by someone who has a proven track record of making the kind of prongs you like, whether you can return your current setting or not.

VEF90

Rough_Rock
image.jpg
Your prongs look big and bulky because they ARE big and bulky. It is a sad fact that many, many jewelers cannot make slim prongs. As well, if your setting is a stock setting, that would make sense that the pear isn’t nestled down in it like the setting was made for it, because pears are often harder to fit into stock settings than a lot of the other shapes - if the setting WAS made for it, then that is an issue with the jeweler’s design skills. So basically what it comes down to is that this is a jeweler skill and artistic vision problem - by all means ask your jeweler about altering the prongs, but it may not be possible for them to get the result you desire. A better bet would be to get an entirely new setting made by someone who has a proven track record of making the kind of prongs you like, whether you can return your current setting or not.

Thank you for your opinion, it’s nice to get other peoples perspectives because everyone in my family just thinks I’m crazy! I am definitely going to ask the Jeweler to change them! I’m curious to see if others agree.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah... get that setting changed. Now, the diamond will sit lower to your finger. Are you okay with that?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t want that for myself, but it’s pretty typical for what a few jewelers local to me would consider as normal. And “safe”.

VEF90

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah... get that setting changed. Now, the diamond will sit lower to your finger. Are you okay with that?
Yes definitely! I’d be ok with them lowering it so it’s proper height for a pear stone. My ring has the same height prongs as my mom who has a round stone and her diamond fills the basket nicely. Pear stones are more shallow so I feel like they should have lower settings? You can see I have room at the bottom of the basket too. I’m not a jeweler or an expert so I don’t know if what I’m saying is true but it seems like it would makes sense?

VEF90

Rough_Rock
I wouldn’t want that for myself, but it’s pretty typical for what a few jewelers local to me would consider as normal. And “safe”.
Yes the jeweler made mention of making sure the diamond was safe. I get that it’s important but yeah I really don’t like the prongs at all!! What should I ask for??

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In order to have your stone set lower you will probably have to have a new head made for your ring. If you look at the prong where the tip goes, you can see that it won’t fit any further down - the diamond will be longer. I’m not sure that they could bend the prong out to accommodate. So I would be prepared for that and prepared for some pushback from the jeweler, especially if you did not discuss your desired setting height and prong appearance beforehand.

VEF90

Rough_Rock
In order to have your stone set lower you will probably have to have a new head made for your ring. If you look at the prong where the tip goes, you can see that it won’t fit any further down - the diamond will be longer. I’m not sure that they could bend the prong out to accommodate. So I would be prepared for that and prepared for some pushback from the jeweler, especially if you did not discuss your desired setting height and prong appearance beforehand.
I would probably just prefer a new head entirely. We didn’t discuss prongs or height and I hadn’t considered it in till after I got it and saw... I’m definitely not good with pushback and certainly don’t want to offend their work. I’m definitely going to go back an ask them to change it even if it means buying a new head. I also thought about adding a halo to hide it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show the other side profile of your ring? The round side of the pear (or the backside). Cant tell if this is a peg head or if your prongs
come straight out of the shank.

This page may give you some ideas of what you are looking for (if not then ignore it).

While I'm at it...how do you feel about the V prong on the point? I have never seen a regular jeweler be able to do the V prong so it doesnt stand out
and cause a distraction. The V is safer than a single prong but I choose to go with a single prong on the point (my ring/stone is insured if I do have
and issue in the future.). I know there are those that will say you have to have a V on the pointed end but for aesthetic reasons I chose not to.

An example of a single prong on the pointed end
https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/solitaires/solitaire-ring-3ct-pear-shaped-diamond-detail (done by a master)

Last edited:

VEF90

Rough_Rock
Can you show the other side profile of your ring? The round side of the pear (or the backside). Cant tell if this is a peg head or if your prongs

This page may give you some ideas of what you are looking for (if not then ignore it).
Thank you so much! I will check that out! Attached is a picture of the other side. As someone else mentioned, it seems like the prongs are standard for a round stone and the wide/flat pear is sitting in the prongs awkwardly. Let me know what you think.
image.jpg

VEF90

Rough_Rock
image.jpg

While I'm at it...how do you feel about the V prong on the point? I have never seen a regular jeweler be able to do the V prong so it doesnt stand out
and cause a distraction. The V is safer than a single prong but I choose to go with a single prong on the point (my ring/stone is insured if I do have
and issue in the future.). I know there are those that will say you have to have a V on the pointed end but for aesthetic reasons I chose not to.

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/solitaires/solitaire-ring-3ct-pear-shaped-diamond-detail (done by a master)

To be honest, I don’t love that part either however that is less of a concern to me as the whole profile view as a whole!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty diamond and ring but yes, the prongs are too large and the stone sits up too high. The point of the pear doesn't look like it is properly seated in the 'v' shaped prong either. You may have to find someone else to do the work other than this jeweler. He either made the ring this way or set it in this setting so he probably thinks it is just fine. Just make sure to do your homework before you choose someone to do the work. Not all jewelers have great benches to do setting work.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am the other way - I always get V-prongs on my pears. I think the single prong blunts the pointy end too much. Even the small pears in my recent halo got v-prongs because I hated so much how the CAD looked with single prongs.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the other way - I always get V-prongs on my pears. I think the single prong blunts the pointy end too much. Even the small pears in my recent halo got v-prongs because I hated so much how the CAD looked with single prongs.

Yep, different strokes for different folks! I'll have to go check out your new halo!

Edit...if you're talking about your DK paraiba...the Vs look nice. The Vs blend in with the metal bezels. DK does nice work. I think if you go custom
you have a much better chance of getting nice Vs vs off the shelf with a typical jeweler.

Last edited:

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Super pretty pear and ring! Congratulations!

Fwiw, I actually really like a V tip, too. My pear setting that I've been wearing over 13 years has one and it has honestly done a good job to protect the stone IMO. My stone is probably set medium height and worn as a RHR.

I do think the V on your setting could be more flush to the stone, as some have said. It does not look bad per se, but may have a more finished look if the prongs "hugged" the stone more closely.

Here is mine from a distance and close up from the side. It's a plain, platinum (probably Stuller) stock solitaire. (also a D SI-1;)))

ETA: Wait! Found some old, better photos to illustrate my point. The one that is my old avatar may be small.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 107
  • newpearclose1234.jpg
    newpearclose1234.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 129
  • pearring13579.jpg
    pearring13579.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 132
    18.1 KB · Views: 119

VEF90

Rough_Rock
Super pretty pear and ring! Congratulations!

Fwiw, I actually really like a V tip, too. My pear setting that I've been wearing over 13 years has one and it has honestly done a good job to protect the stone IMO. My stone is probably set medium height and worn as a RHR.

I do think the V on your setting could be more flush to the stone, as some have said. It does not look bad per se, but may have a more finished look if the prongs "hugged" the stone more closely.

Here is mine from a distance and close up from the side. It's a plain, platinum (probably Stuller) stock solitaire. (also a D SI-1;)))

ETA: Wait! Found some old, better photos to illustrate my point. The one that is my old avatar may be small.
So pretty!! Thanks for your pictures! Your ring is beautiful and I like your prongs!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, thank you! Glad they helped and good luck!:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results