shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! About to buy--what are your thoughts on this diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Please let me know if you think it''s a great diamond--let me know if there are anything else I need to ask before buying it. They are going to ship it to me very soon for me to look at.

1.81ct H&A round brilliant
G
VS2
7.83-7.85 X 4.84mm
Cut: Excellent
GIA certified
Polish/Symmetry = Excellent
Flourescence: None
HCA 1.4

I''ve added a portion of the GIA cert--to show you the depth % and other dimension... please let me know!!!

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
The first time attachment did not go through, here is the .jpg of the GIA cert (portion)

GIA stone cropped.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi apple,

Can you post the proportions or enlarge the image a bit please? I can't read it on my monitor, thanks! Can you get an ASET or Idealscope image of the diamond?

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Got it. Here you go:

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.83 - 7.85 x 4.84 mm

Carat Weight: 1.81 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Additional Inscription: H&A

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Also, I'ved checked out BlueNile and other online retailers such as WF, GOG, etc...for a very similar diamond G VS 1.83ct. Excellent cut, polish, symmetry, BN is quoting $4k more. The place I'm getting from is a B&M store in VA, they are matching pretty much any prices offered from online places, or very similar ones. Is this too good to be true?
23.gif
I'm slightly worried...I'll go see the actual diamond this weekend, any tips? other than view the diamond from all angles/lighting as well as under an idealscope? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 3:24:02 PM
Author: applegirl8888

Got it. Here you go:

Round Brilliant

Proportions:

Finish:
Thanks! The proportions look good, it has potential. If it is advertised as a h&a cut and this is what you want, then the vendor should provide hearts and arrows images to support this claim.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 4:38:29 PM
Also, I'ved checked out BlueNile and other online retailers such as WF, GOG, etc...for a very similar diamond G VS 1.83ct. Excellent cut, polish, symmetry, BN is quoting $4k more. The place I'm getting from is a B&M store in VA, they are matching pretty much any prices offered from online places, or very similar ones. Is this too good to be true?
23.gif
I'm slightly worried...I'll go see the actual diamond this weekend, any tips? other than view the diamond from all angles/lighting as well as under an idealscope? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!
Pay attention to the areas between the arrow shafts around the edge of the table for leakage.
That is the first place that combo will leak if the lower girdles are off.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
Check the diamond out very carefully if they have an Idealscope to hand to look for any leakage. Read up on how to evaluate hearts and arrows images from this link so you have an understanding of what to look for.
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/65/1/Hearts-and-Arrows-Diamonds-and-The-Basics-of-Diamond-Cutting.aspx

Check the diamond out away from the store lights if possible in order to give it a good test drive. See how it behaves in as many different lights as you can - see if it ' speaks' to you and also compare it to some other well cut diamonds to see how it holds up.

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Lorelei and Karl!!
36.gif
. I will read up on the links. The price I'm getting quoted is their "absolute" bottom line-- $16,200.

FYI-I have a size 4 finger, I'm going with the genuine Memoire Purity Collection setting for--2 mm wide, .38ct total, with 6 prones.

Question--how high or low would you recommend setting the RB stone, so the diamond will 'pop' or appear 'larger'?

btw, I'm sooo happy I found this forum, you guys have been incredibly helpful!

04YY18.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl and I are glad to help! That is a beautiful setting also, really gorgeous!

To me a diamond's height comes down to comfort, that size rock on your finger size will definitely pop, so no worries there! Personally I don't like a diamond to be set too high as I think it looks more graceful set in a medium fashion, especially with a large diamond, but go with what looks good to you and what you are comfortable with.

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Lorelei and Karl,

From all of your yrs of experience w/diamonds, do you think $16,200 is a good price for this particular stone? Do you think the prices will go even down within the next 1-2 yrs given what''s happening with our economy? (I was shocked about Tiffany''s 75% loss in their profit)...just wondering.

Have a good weekend!
35.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe, but you have to remember cutting houses are also shutting down, so supplies might also go down driving prices up. Really depends on which falls faster, supply or demand from the economy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 10:43:45 AM
Lorelei and Karl,

From all of your yrs of experience w/diamonds, do you think $16,200 is a good price for this particular stone? Do you think the prices will go even down within the next 1-2 yrs given what's happening with our economy? (I was shocked about Tiffany's 75% loss in their profit)...just wondering.

Have a good weekend!
35.gif
It is really hard to say apple, thank you for asking Karl and I for our thoughts!

Karl should have some good input on this as I know he keeps an eye on things - anything I could add would really be just speculation as I am not really in the know where that type of thing is concerned, like most of us consumers. But Karl might have some informative input on this, I remember he posted his thoughts concerning this matter recently. The price looks ok for a b&m store, usually these prices are more expensive than online, but it sounds like you have done your homework concerning price. If you are wondering whether to hold off on buying in case the prices do drop it is really not possible to say, with the type of diamond you are looking for I would be inclined to purchase if you find this is the one you are looking for, as it is anyone's guess what will happen with prices - it could go either way.

You have a great weekend too!

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Yeah, i guess it''s like the stock/housing market, it''s very unpredictable, or we''ll all be rich!
41.gif
Thie B&M place matches all the similar stones with WF, GOG, Pearlman, Union, etc. so i''m pretty comfortable about that... I''ll keep you guys updated on the diamond I''m going to see tomorrow. oh la la.....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I''ved checked out BlueNile and other online retailers such as WF, GOG, etc...for a very similar diamond G VS 1.83ct. Excellent cut, polish, symmetry, BN is quoting $4k more. The place I''m getting from is a B&M store in VA, they are matching pretty much any prices offered from online places, or very similar ones. Is this too good to be true?
23.gif
I''m slightly worried...I''ll go see the actual diamond this weekend, any tips? other than view the diamond from all angles/lighting as well as under an idealscope? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!
stone is sold as an H&A? be sure to view it under the H&A scope.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 3:58:30 PM
Yeah, i guess it''s like the stock/housing market, it''s very unpredictable, or we''ll all be rich!
41.gif
Thie B&M place matches all the similar stones with WF, GOG, Pearlman, Union, etc. so i''m pretty comfortable about that... I''ll keep you guys updated on the diamond I''m going to see tomorrow. oh la la.....
Todays the day, let us know how it goes!
35.gif

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
I am sooooo thankful for this site and for your advice, I wouldn't know what to do w/out reading all of your tips and helpful hints. THANK YOU Pricescope forum!!!!!!!!!!! I will tell all of my friends who are looking to be engaged.

I went to the local B&M jeweler (Quest, in Fairfax VA)today, Huan was super nice and helpful. I saw my 1.81 ct G VS2 H&A diamond under 2 different idealscope devices....one is the actual holloway idealscope, another has the blue-ish look. The 1.81 ct diamond looks like a perfect H&A. BEAUTIFUL. I had it compared to another AGS0 diamond (2.02 ct RB G VS2, HCA 2.4) you can barely tell the difference between the 2 sizes, the 1.81 ct (HCA 1.4) is almost perfect shape for the hearts and arrows...but I'm a novice in the diamond industry.

I will post the idealscope images as as soon as I get it, also, they took some pics of my hand with the actual setting and the 1.81ct diamond w/their macro camera, so I will post that as well. Can't wait to hear your expert opinion/feedback once you've seen the actual idealscope.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds great, CONGRATS my dear!!!
35.gif
I look forward to the images!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrates!!!

Sorry I missed your questions, hmm dunno how I missed them.
You were is good hands with Lorelei :}
She can pick my round diamonds for me any day :}

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 5:35:57 AM
Author: strmrdr
congrates!!!

Sorry I missed your questions, hmm dunno how I missed them.
You were is good hands with Lorelei :}
She can pick my round diamonds for me any day :}
Awww shucks....
12.gif
Thats a big compliment coming from you, thanks friend!
35.gif

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
I finally got the idealscope pics--3 of them. Please please take a look and let me know what you think, I will post each of them now. again, here are the specs of the diamond:

Round Brilliant
Proportions:
Finish:

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Here is the diamond w/the sample setting, took this in the store to get an idea of what it''ll look like. The store model setting sits no more than 1.5ct...so the center stone just sat on top of it, not mounted or anything.

GetAttachment8.jpg

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo! It''s fabulous!

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
another pic of the diamond on my setting--2mm Memoire single prone

GetAttachment4.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great! Its not cut to h&a standards looking at the images but you will see a nice arrow pattern and it is a well cut diamond. It looks great on your hand and with that lovely setting!! What did you think of the diamond apple, did you fall in love with it??
30.gif

applegirl8888

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,
it certainly is very pretty...don't think it's love at first sight though, maybe if it's the same cut but 2.10ct?
emsmilep.gif
I think it's great for the price. But...i'm being greedy here and am open to going down to an H color, eye - clean SI 2, but over 2 ct. for about 16k...I'm not compromising on the cut, GIA triple excellent or even better, AGS 0. what do you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results