shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a struggling boyfriend find an engagement diamond

StrugglingBoyfriend

Rough_Rock
Hello guys, this is my first post here, because I'm struggling as the name suggests :lol: I've never bought a real piece of jewelry before, so I'm coming to the experts.
I've spent the last few weeks pouring through online resources to find the best possible gem for her. My budget is 2.5k or so (Willing to go higher if it's a really nice stone, and cheaper is never a bad thing). So the first thing I did was narrow the scope of the stones with the following (Mostly on LGD and Ritani):
Cut: Oval
Carat: 2.5-3
Color: DEF
Clarity: VS1 or better (As long as it's eye clean, I couldn't care less)
Total Depth: 59-63
Table: 55-60
L/W: 1.45-1.66 (She likes the look of a longer stone)

After doing that, I look at lab reports to see that the crown height is between 13-15. Lastly I look at videos of the stones, namely looking for bowtie effect and how the inclusions look (Honestly, the most challenging part because they all kind of look the same to me lol). I used the parameters from this guide: https://niceice.com/oval-diamond-buying-guide-ideal-proportions/

It's going to be set in a tapered 14k gold band with 2 pear shaped diamonds on either side (horizontally), each with about .15ct (similar to this: https://www.brilliantearth.com/Aria...-Fit-Wedding-Ring-Gold-BE1D232-BE299-3354760/ ) .

Onto the questions:
Am I going about this the right way?
Some stones on LGD require you to "Request a video", am I better off looking at those, rather than the ones that already have a video posted in the sense that the ones with a video attached have been "Passed over" by more people?
Lastly, I feel like it's hard to judge the difference in bowtie effect from two videos when they're taken at different angles, some have the video laying flat on a table, while others have it "Floating" on it's edges, is that assumption correct?

If some expert eyes see a nice stone, that fits these parameters, I'd be forever grateful for recommendations.

sunshineandlemons

Shiny_Rock
Hello and welcome to Pricescope!
Ovals can be tricky - I highly recommend you consider a stone that has been fully vetted in person by an expert. @Rockdiamond from Diamonds by Lauren has a beautiful oval that meets your specs and budget here:
3.26 Oval F VS1
I have one from him and it is beautiful!
He can also help you with a setting - If you need to save some $$ I would consider a simple solitaire for now - get the best stone you can in the beginning and a more expensive setting can come for a special occasion.
Good luck!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Hello and welcome to Pricescope!
Ovals can be tricky - I highly recommend you consider a stone that has been fully vetted in person by an expert. @Rockdiamond from Diamonds by Lauren has a beautiful oval that meets your specs and budget here:
3.26 Oval F VS1
I have one from him and it is beautiful!
He can also help you with a setting - If you need to save some $$ I would consider a simple solitaire for now - get the best stone you can in the beginning and a more expensive setting can come for a special occasion.
Good luck!

I agree, and can also recommend Diamonds by Lauren. Super nice people and excellent customer service. For a fancy shape as a first-time buyer, I would rather have an expert pick it out for me.
One question to think about: ovals come in different “flavors” like crushed ice or a cut that mimics an elongated round brilliant. I don’t know what that cut is called, but here’s an example of the latter from another recommended vendor: https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...te-reserve-distinctive-oval-lab-grown-diamond

StrugglingBoyfriend

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions! I ended up pulling the trigger on the 3.26 stone, fingers crossed it's a looker! Worst case scenario, I'll return it and keep on searching, hopefully I won't have to come back to this thread!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Ahh, the magic of PS. Very nice.

Please post pics of the final ring, and good luck! :)

sunshineandlemons

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions! I ended up pulling the trigger on the 3.26 stone, fingers crossed it's a looker! Worst case scenario, I'll return it and keep on searching, hopefully I won't have to come back to this thread!

Can’t wait to see your beautiful finished ring!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results