shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a rookie find an Emerald for an engagement ring...

Donny Steele

Rough_Rock
That’s the thing about ed at Wildfish—he has emeralds in stock. I did get mine at 40% off as he ran a special promotion. I love my Sandawana Emerald: it is so glowy. I had a great experience with him.

I just don't see anything there that fits my requirements.

Donny Steele

Rough_Rock
Even though David Friedlander (Diamonds by Lauren) doesn't have anything of interest to you showing up online, he is smack-dab in NYC's Diamond District, where there is a lot of gemstone "traffic." Plus, he could easily take a "paperless" stone to AGL's lab, which is within spitting distance of his office -- that would save you some angst and the money for shipping a stone to/from AGL. So I don't see a downside to reaching out to him to see if he's interested in sourcing an emerald for you & his MO for that.

FWIW I personally would not make a ~$15,000 purchase from Wildfish Gems, primarily because I'm not really comfortable with what's been reported here in the past re returns (which are not clearly spelled out on his website). Plus, I think his prices generally run high.

But I'm happy to give positive reinforcement for your fiancée's desire for an emerald e-ring! My e-ring, a Victorian, peachy gold ring with 2 prong-set emeralds accented by diamonds, was more than 100 years old when I received it. I wore it daily for 20+ years & the only damage inflicted was an eensy "flea bite" on one of the emeralds that was visible only with a loupe. So an emerald e-ring is doable in my book : - )

I've contacted Diamonds by Lauren as you have recommended.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! If you don't have to purchase now, I know of a great Colombian emerald dealer who goes to the Tucson Gem show in Feb (the one the Public can attend). He has been in the business 38 years. I purchased a 5.5ct Colombian, minor treatment only. His stones are mostly are from Muzo (a few from Chivor). The stone I purchased from him is a bright green and native cut. From the links you posted above, it seems you are ok with native cut. I myself prefer native cut (they look so classic to me) and do not like precision cut for colored stones. When I went to the show this past February, he had many large and small stones, so if you are not pressed for time, that might be an option for you. He is Colombian but lives in Antwerp. He goes to Colombia to purchase his stones directly, then does the Tucson show. He's a simple dealer, no internet, but to me, he has some great stones and very reasonable prices.

Attachments

• DA291982-9882-4D53-AEDB-37B6AE7BD851.png
    DA291982-9882-4D53-AEDB-37B6AE7BD851.png
    482 KB · Views: 8

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought [from Wildfish] and though I did not need to return, the policies are pretty clear * * *
Sorry, I should have explained in my previous post what I was thinking of when I said I had reservations about WF's return policy. Perhaps it's no longer true, but several years ago, Ed reportedly told a customer making a return that she should send the stone via Registered Mail, but not with insurance/declared value; the problem with that is USPS Registered Mail in and of itself doesn't include any coverage for loss-damage to the item(s) being sent. We've heard from other PSers that at least some eBay vendors in SE Aisia (Ed is based in Thailand) have the same policy because they don't want to hassle with customs and/or they fear a gem will "disappear" once it reaches their country but before it gets to them. I understand their viewpoint, but I don't want to be left on the hook for an uninsured stone that costs much more than "pocket change."

But because policies are not engraved in stone posterity, the introduction to the List of Vendors for Reference "sticky" makes a point of stressing, "Prior to purchase, please be sure to familiarize yourself with the vendor's policies as to shipping/insurance, returns, and restocking fees (if any)."
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/

P.S. Ed's current USA office is not his own space; the address is for an industrial/corporate park kind of building where the primary tenants are a moving company, an indoor training facility for baseball players, a set design-manufacturing outfit, and USMail1 -- which provides virtual addresses, 800-phone numbers, shipping-forwarding services, etc.
http://www.usamail1.com/
Of course it makes sense for him to have such an arrangement. But USAMail1's online reviews are pretty dreadful, don't inspire confidence for me (I don't know how long Ed has been using them; until recently, I'd thought his USA address was in Maryland).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Donny Steele -- since you'd already reached out to Diamonds by Lauren before whitewave suggested Yvonne Raley d/b/a Cecile Raley Designs, I wouldn't contact Ms. Raley unless-until you decide not to move forward with DBL. The wholesaler that supplies whatever Columbian emeralds Yvonne shows in her etsy shop is in the Diamond District, right around the corner from DBL, and I'm not seeing any entries in her blog suggesting that she picked up at the recent, JCK Las Vegas trade show the kind of emerald you're hoping for.

Plus (I know there are other people who don't agree with me, but hey, I was influenced by my late father-in-law, who was in the trade here in NYC), I think it's kinda poor etiquette to have 2 vendors, particularly 2 in close geographical proximity, scouting for you at the same time -- and a wholesaler who's been approached by 2 vendors close in time, looking for the same kind of stone, may jack up the price/encourage a bit of a bidding war, so it can end up being counterproductive for the consumer.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6C4CE54A-C0B4-4FFB-A264-CE8E8AEFB8D8.jpeg Hi, this is slightly over your budget and well over your carat size, but this is one heck of an emerald (and ring). For the money this is, in my book, amazing.
Ivy and Rose from time to time have some spectacular “preloved jewelery” and this is a corker.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3BFF4CFE-42E8-426E-8DFF-EAE581644EF3.jpeg

Joycelyn at gilded Lane is selling this one. She said anyone interested should dm her at ig

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to be a kill-joy but I second what Bron357 said above on this thread -- emerald is not a good choice for an engagement ring, imo. Hard but fragile, loses oil over time, etc. Engagement rings take a beating and have to last for decades of daily wear (presumably). Maybe a teal sapphire?

Donny Steele

Rough_Rock
The deed is done...only picture I have. Thanks for those that provided helpful advice on the emerald.

upload_2018-9-26_13-31-55.png

Attachments

• IMG_7142 (8).JPG
    IMG_7142 (8).JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2018-9-26_13-31-52.png
    upload_2018-9-26_13-31-52.png
    765.3 KB · Views: 11

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love, love love the setting!!! Congrats!!!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
The ring looks perfect on her! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results